1) MC7 CPU utlization; 2) Allow MC6 & MC7 on same computer

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
escamillo

1) MC7 CPU utlization; 2) Allow MC6 & MC7 on same computer

Postby escamillo » 13 Apr 2011

1). I have not been using MultiCharts long enough to know much. But I have used another platform for ten years and gone through platform issues there: I know what I see, even if I do not know why a problem exists.

I am seeing much, much higher CPU utilization with MC7 compared to MC6. In fairness/full disclosure part of this may be due to using Zen-Fire data in MC7, while I was mostly using IQFeed data in MC6 to compare back data and compatibility to TS.

To some degree, the high CPU utilization seems to be cumulative. For example, a few days ago I did a remove/fresh install to a new directory with MC7 and after that the CPU utilization seemed better. CPU utilization was high into and at yesterdays close and this morning even at times without a whole lot of volume/activity, CPU utilization is at a very high rate, such that the platform is basically unusable for trading.

tsServer.exe use seems quite high; ZFServerProxy.exe is too high for my liking; one workspace seems high with four symbols on eight charts (4-5 minute and 4- 30 minute) no underlying Strat code and all indicators set to update end of bar only. I completely rebuilt this workspace after the fresh install; it is not corrupted.

I am rolling back to MC6.

2). It would be very helpful if MultiCharts allowed us to have the latest MC build and at least one older build on the same computer. Rolling back/forward is very time consuming, having to reinstall the platform and verify/compile all code. In any new build, some people are going to experience problems; it makes sense to allow older builds to be available on the same computer. Would be much appreciated.

TJ

Re: 1) MC7 CPU utlization; 2) Allow MC6 & MC7 on same comput

Postby TJ » 13 Apr 2011

this is a data point for reference:

Quad core Q6600 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM
Vista Home prem 64 bit
MultiCharts Version 7.0 Beta 1 (Build 4226)
datafeed: InteractiveBrokers
2 wsp, 11 charts, 3 symbols (some charts with multi-data series)
resolutions: day, min, cvb,
indicators: 48 total (with arrays and lots of drawing objects)

Attachments
2011-04-13 10.5802.jpg
(73.95 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
CPU 2011-04-13 10.3101.jpg
(62.45 KiB) Downloaded 528 times

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 14 Apr 2011

1). I have not been using MultiCharts long enough to know much. But I have used another platform for ten years and gone through platform issues there: I know what I see, even if I do not know why a problem exists.

I am seeing much, much higher CPU utilization with MC7 compared to MC6. In fairness/full disclosure part of this may be due to using Zen-Fire data in MC7, while I was mostly using IQFeed data in MC6 to compare back data and compatibility to TS.

To some degree, the high CPU utilization seems to be cumulative. For example, a few days ago I did a remove/fresh install to a new directory with MC7 and after that the CPU utilization seemed better. CPU utilization was high into and at yesterdays close and this morning even at times without a whole lot of volume/activity, CPU utilization is at a very high rate, such that the platform is basically unusable for trading.

tsServer.exe use seems quite high; ZFServerProxy.exe is too high for my liking; one workspace seems high with four symbols on eight charts (4-5 minute and 4- 30 minute) no underlying Strat code and all indicators set to update end of bar only. I completely rebuilt this workspace after the fresh install; it is not corrupted.

I am rolling back to MC6.
The log usage in Beta 1 is very high - we are logging every possible number so we can track down any troubles. This is only for Beta 1, once we are done with all the logging and we turn it off, MC will perform a lot faster. In MC release you will experience less CPU usage, and even in Beta 2 you should see less CPU used for logging (we reduce it a bit with each beta version)
2). It would be very helpful if MultiCharts allowed us to have the latest MC build and at least one older build on the same computer. Rolling back/forward is very time consuming, having to reinstall the platform and verify/compile all code. In any new build, some people are going to experience problems; it makes sense to allow older builds to be available on the same computer. Would be much appreciated.
We approach builds differently than other software providers. TS, for instance, allows you to have multiple versions, while we built it into our architecture to have only one available. It wouldn't be very easy to change this behavior. If you want this feature, please make a feature request in the PM.

escamillo

Postby escamillo » 14 Apr 2011

Thanks Stan. I went back to MC6 and performance was better for me. So will stick with it until a later release of MC7.

Regarding allowing users to keep back releases, just sayin'... Sometimes it is necessary for a user to bail out on a release and go back to one that was steady for them. As long as an old build is available for download, that is a big help in itself; but it did take me a couple of hours+ or so to delete MC7, install MC6 and rebuild symbols in MC6. All of my saved Workspaces, etc. worked fine in the transition.

janus

Postby janus » 14 Apr 2011

1).
Given MC doesn't support multiple instances on the same PC, and if one wanted to test a beta (or alpha) release, the only sensible recourse at the moment is to have more than one PC. I do and I've installed MC7 on my second PC. Those who only have one PC should not even contemplate replacing a stable release with a beta release, unless they are not trading with real money for some time. The risk is just too high. It's hard enough trying to make money trading the markets. Using an unstable release to trade live with real money for any extended period of time is playing with fire. I know some would do it, but IMHO it's just plain dumb, and unnecessary. It's far more sensible to spend a little money and buy a cheap second PC for testing purposes. Even so, it would be very helpful to allow multiple version of MC to be installed on a PC for those who are not prepared to own more than one PC, for whatever reason.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 15 Apr 2011

1).
Given MC doesn't support multiple instances on the same PC, and if one wanted to test a beta (or alpha) release, the only sensible recourse at the moment is to have more than one PC. I do and I've installed MC7 on my second PC. Those who only have one PC should not even contemplate replacing a stable release with a beta release, unless they are not trading with real money for some time. The risk is just too high. It's hard enough trying to make money trading the markets. Using an unstable release to trade live with real money for any extended period of time is playing with fire. I know some would do it, but IMHO it's just plain dumb, and unnecessary. It's far more sensible to spend a little money and buy a cheap second PC for testing purposes. Even so, it would be very helpful to allow multiple version of MC to be installed on a PC for those who are not prepared to own more than one PC, for whatever reason.
You can also use a virtual machine, if you have one powerful PC/Mac.

Return to “MultiCharts”