MC unable to connect to the Digital Rights Management System

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
marmun

MC unable to connect to the Digital Rights Management System

Postby marmun » 21 Apr 2011

I am receiving this error again that the connection to the Digital Rights Management System cannot be established. I thought that this error hade been rendered redundant.

If it's just my system, please advise.

TJ

Re: MC unable to connect to the Digital Rights Management Sy

Postby TJ » 21 Apr 2011

I am receiving this error again that the connection to the Digital Rights Management System cannot be established. I thought that this error hade been rendered redundant.

If it's just my system, please advise.
I am currently connected with no problem.

Version 7.0 Beta 1 (Build 4226)

marmun

I am currently connected with no problem.
Thanks for letting me know TJ. I have rebooted and tried again on another machine but I still can't connect to the DRM. Any ideas?

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 21 Apr 2011

I had same problem this morning and I had to manually re-connect around 10.20 GMT, I thought this should have been done automatically. Looks like there was some serious problem with MC's servers.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 21 Apr 2011

I am currently connected no problem though an external network. Is anyone still experiencing issues? If so, email directly to support for an immediate look at your issue.

tekram

Postby tekram » 21 Apr 2011

This seems to be prevalent in MC7beta, there is another thread on this topic. Have to do a manual DRM check by clicking on the "Not Authorized" sign.
It takes a while to reload everything.
Attachments
DRMNotAuthorized.gif
(10.59 KiB) Downloaded 2481 times

Stan Bokov

Just to be safe, all people with problems please provide your UserID, so we can check the connection logs. Also, the main server was down, but the two backup ones (to which requests get re-routed automatically) were fine.

The main server is mcauth.com, and backup ones are mcauth1.com and mcauth2.com. It's possible that if you are behind a firewall/antivirus software (which often comes with a firewall), that it may be set up to let through mcauth.com but not the other ones. So, you might experience a DRM disconnect. Please make sure you have access to all three servers to ensure you have no problems.

marmun

Just to be safe, all people with problems please provide your UserID, so we can check the connection logs. Also, the main server was down, but the two backup ones (to which requests get re-routed automatically) were fine.

The main server is mcauth.com, and backup ones are mcauth1.com and mcauth2.com. It's possible that if you are behind a firewall/antivirus software (which often comes with a firewall), that it may be set up to let through mcauth.com but not the other ones. So, you might experience a DRM disconnect. Please make sure you have access to all three servers to ensure you have no problems.
I had the same experience as 'SUPER' above. I tried to reconnect several times from around midnight EST without success. Then at about the same time as SUPER, it connected.

FWIW, I don't think this an MC7 issue as it first happened on my machine running MC6. I then tried on a different machine running MC7 but with the same result. I have been using MC for many years without having encountered this problem. I haven't changed anything in over a week on either of the machines I tried it. I also don't think it has anything to do with firewalls/antivirus etc. because I don't have any of that on my trading machine. And with SUPER having exactly the same problem which ended at exactly the same time seems too much of a coincidence.

Stan, I have emailed you my UserID information for you to check the logs. Many thanks.

Stan Bokov

Thanks, marmun. We will check it out.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 21 Apr 2011

Stan,

I have e-mailed my user's ID

Regards
Super

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 21 Apr 2011

SkyNet becoming self aware April 21st, 2011 was the date in the Terminator movies!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110421/ap_ ... on_outages

janus

Postby janus » 23 Apr 2011

It's happened to me twice in the past few days - with MC6. Double clicking on the "Not Authorized" button fixes it. During the first one, it was connected to live data and so it stopped updating. I had to do a reload after I was "authorized" again. The second time I was off-line. So, what's going on? This is not acceptable!

I'm starting to think we should have the option of a dongle to avoid such issues, with the DRM as backup. After all, it's super critical we have a continuous and reliable connection when trading.

tekram

Postby tekram » 23 Apr 2011

Not authorized again 4/23/2011.
Any site to track the status of DRM server?
Are these DRM outages related to the Amazon EC2 outages?

http://status.aws.amazon.com/
Attachments
2011-04-23_161653.gif
(28.92 KiB) Downloaded 3019 times

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 26 Apr 2011

April 23rd was a Saturday, we sometimes perform maintenance on the authorization servers during weekends. However, this is a short time frame, and should not disrupt your work.

We had one instance of a server malfunction during the week, but that should not have affected the users in any way. We have three redundant servers in different locations of United States, with different internet providers. When one servers malfunctions all users are automatically redirected to the remaining two.

In any case, users should not receive the Not Authorized message. If you receive it, you should check the test page http://mcauth1.com/MCAuthServer/ to see if you have access to the servers through your or your provider's firewalls and proxies. The page should read "Server is available." We take the authorization servers very seriously, as we realize any potential disruptions to the service can affect your trading.

If you can see the test page OK, but authorization still sometimes does not go through, you need to come to the Live Chat and we will try to establish the reasons why that is happening.

If you are reporting an outage, you should include the precise time when it occurred, so we can at least check the logs and perform any kind of analysis.

With the conditions that individual users have access to the servers configured as it should be:
Authorization servers are functioning normally. Global malfunctions that could affect users have not occurred.

janus

Postby janus » 26 Apr 2011

In any case, users should not receive the Not Authorized message. If you receive it, you should check the test page http://mcauth1.com/MCAuthServer/ to see if you have access to the servers through your or your provider's firewalls and proxies. The page should read "Server is available." We take the authorization servers very seriously, as we realize any potential disruptions to the service can affect your trading.
Thanks Stan for the link to test the DRM system. I will use it next time I get the "Not Authorized" message.

Question: Why doesn't MC keep trying automatically, say every 1 minute to try and authorize itself instead of waiting for the user to do it manually? That way if there is an internet connectivity issue somewhere in the world leading to a momentary loss of access to all DRM servers, which is what I suspect caused the two recent incidents I experienced, then MC will rectify the problem without any user intervention. Let's face it, we all know the internet is not 100% reliable so we all can expect some connectivity problems no matter how brief. For example, ever since the Japanese earthquake, the links from Japan to the US are broken and won't be repaired for a while. This means traffic from Japan and other Asian countries is being re-routed through the Australian to US links causing some bandwidth problems and even intermittent connectivity issues during peak times. So, I feel a self-healing feature for MC to connect to the DRM servers is mandatory. If this feature is already in place then it clearly isn't working. The other solution is to remain authorized even if there is a loss of connectivity to the DRM servers for say 24 hours or when MC is restarted, whichever comes first. The current approach of losing authorization as soon as MC loses connectivity to all DRM servers is too brutal. If there is already a built-in delay then it's obviously too short.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 27 Apr 2011

Why doesn't MC keep trying automatically, say every 1 minute to try and authorize itself instead of waiting for the user to do it manually? ... If this feature is already in place then it clearly isn't working.
MC does already does that - it attempt to connect at start up and for two hours if your connection is broker, after which it gives up. A new attempt is made every few seconds.

Everything is alright with the servers, and none of our machines which stay connected for weeks ever give that message. This is what makes this case curious. Please come to our Live Chat so we can investigate your setup for 10-15 minutes, take the logs and analyze your configuration. Maybe the answer is in particular external software, your internet setup, or something else... I'm suspecting some other software that intercepts/prohibits connection attempts.

janus

Postby janus » 27 Apr 2011

I have had no issue since those two incidents several days ago. I suspect it's associated with the international link being affected by the Japanese natural disaster. If I have the same issue again I will not manually try to authorize and instead carry out various checks. If I still can't find anything wrong, I will go to a Live Chat with the system still in an unauthorized state.

Thank you for your interest.
Last edited by janus on 27 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 27 Apr 2011

Sounds like a good plan.

Return to “MultiCharts”