Issues with Real-Time Market Scanner (RMS)

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Spaceant

Issues with Real-Time Market Scanner (RMS)

Postby Spaceant » 21 Apr 2011

In using RMS with MC 6.01,

1) It seems to me that it is not possible to drag and drop one instrument to a upper or a lower row. How can it be done easily?

Now, I just plugin the instruments again in the orders that I like, but it is stupid if we can't do it in a smarter way!!

2) How to set the "default Exchange" when adding a new instrument on a RMS?

The reason why I ask it because when adding a new lower security directly on one instrument cell, the default Exchange is set to be the Globex Futures. It would be nice if we can pre-set a more frequent used exchange if possible.

Sa

Stan Bokov

Re: Issues with Real-Time Market Scanner (RMS)

Postby Stan Bokov » 21 Apr 2011

1. You can highlight the row you like and press Ctrl+X to cut it, and then Ctrl+V to paste it where you like. There is no drag-and-drop currently available.

2. Market Scanner and the Command Line (active only when a chart is currently active) in MultiCharts allow you to quickly type in symbol names to display them on the chart. There is a distinct difference between what you need to do if you are a) LOOKING UP a symbol that is already in the QuoteManager, or b) ADDING a brand new symbol to the QuoteManager that is not there.

A. If you are adding new symbols from scratch (either in a Scanner cell or in the command line), you need to enter this EVERY TIME:

Enter this line
<DataFeed>:<SymbolName>; <Exchange>; <Category>

Pay attention to the separators, the first one between DataFeed and Symbol Name is a colon, and the others are semicolons. You do not need to add < and > signs. Here is an example:

IQ:@ES#;CME;Fut

Effect - a new symbol will be added to the QuoteManager, and then displayed. It's easy to make a mistake/typo this way, so be careful - but it's there if you wish to use it.

B. Displaying symbols that you already have in the QuoteManager

The format is the same as in adding a new symbol:
<DataFeed>:<SymbolName>; <Exchange>; <Category>

The main difference is that after you enter the first symbol, the <DataFeed>, <Exchange>, and <Category> parameters become optional. The ones you used previously will be applied by default, which works well for speedy typing of symbols. For example, the very first time I can type in:

IB:AAPL;SMART;Stk

This will add the Apple stock from my QuoteManager into my chart. And if I have more Ib stocks I want to display, I can simply type in:

BAC

Behind the scenes MultiCharts will look for IB:BAC;SMART;Stk

There are also other little nuances to auto-detecting the type of the symbol you are adding, i.e. If the symbol has two roots (such as USD and EUR) it will auto-detect as Forex. If it has M1 letters in the end, it will auto-detect as futures... but it's always safer to specify the category in full. Some exchanges, for some data feeds, are assigned automatically based on the category. In your case, you are seeing Globex all the time, because that is the default Exchange for the Futures category for Interactive Brokers data feed.

Attached is a list of all data feed abbreviations that you can use for the <DataFeed> input (they can also be found in the QuoteManager under Tools > Data Sources).

Here is a list of all Categories that are available for the <Category> field. You should use the abbreviation.

Meaning - Abbreviation
Stocks Stk
Index Idx
Future Fut
Stock Option Opt
Forex Fx
Bond B
Cash C
Spread Spd

Spaceant

Postby Spaceant » 25 Apr 2011

Stan,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried it and there appears an issue......

The currency is set as USD as a default. How to set the currency as another one?

Sa

Spaceant

Postby Spaceant » 25 Apr 2011

BTY, is it possible to import a list of long stock from an excel file? If not, can I request it?
It is convenient to do with this import function, like what we can do with MLDownloader to download EOD data from Yahoo Finance....

Sa

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 25 Apr 2011

BTY, is it possible to import a list of long stock from an excel file? If not, can I request it?
It is convenient to do with this import function, like what we can do with MLDownloader to download EOD data from Yahoo Finance....

Sa
You can Import a Symbol List. QuoteManager > File > Import Symbol List.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 25 Apr 2011

Stan,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried it and there appears an issue......

The currency is set as USD as a default. How to set the currency as another one?

Sa
You should type in the name of the symbol in full. This will ensure that you add the proper symbol.

bwparisen

Postby bwparisen » 26 Jul 2011

To import a symbol file into Market Scanner, open up the symbol file, select only symbols (no descriptive text or anything else for each symbol), copy, place mouse cursor into an empty scanner symbol cell, right click for menu and press paste. Now, the symbol file must be in the proper format: text, symbols separated by a carriage return and either a semi-colon or no character after each symbol. If a comma follows each symbol the symbols paste into scanner as groups (not symbols). If the symbols are on the same line (no carriage return), they all paste into the same scanner cell. If a quotation mark follows each symbol, the quotation is pasted along with the symbol into each cell.

Return to “MultiCharts”