Hardware Question

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
piranhaxp

Hardware Question

Postby piranhaxp » 09 May 2011

Hi forum members & MC support,

will a change from old fashion SATAII or III harddisks to PCI-Express SSD's ( OCZ RevoDrive x2 PCIe SSD 100 GB) have significant impact performance wise for MC ? I'm asking because I'm experiencing bottlenecks with MC and 25 open low tick-frame charts all running in one workspace. Tried out many setups with differend hardware and software configurations. Thought the much faster write/read frames and access time could to increase of MC speed in busy trading times.

My current setup :

Intel i7 975 Extreme, 3x 4GB Kingston DDR3-1333, 2x WDC WD1500HLFS-01 10.000rpm 128GB in RAID0 etc ... Graphic setup shouldn't be an issue ... I'm working with WinServer 2008 R2 SP1 and "Superfetch" activated for fast disk access. Was unable to fix any issues on speed with WinXP x64 or a stripped Win7 x64 versions.

Any suggestion ? Any comment would be appreciated ...

Regards.

Mike
Last edited by piranhaxp on 09 May 2011, edited 1 time in total.

TJ

Re: Hardware Question

Postby TJ » 09 May 2011

What is your memory usage?

How much disk I/O do you see?

piranhaxp

TJ ....

my memory usage goes up to 3.53GB / CPU usage average on 12-17% and I see up to 31MB/sec on Disk I/O in busy times (average about 4-8MB on Disk I/O).

Mike

geizer

Postby geizer » 09 May 2011

Some thoughts:

- Install Multicharts and with all it's data files on a separate drive (perhaps SSD in RAID5?
- Will more CPU cores help?
- Tweak windows drive cash
- Disable content indexing on all hard drives
- Disable anti-virus. It's taxing you heavily.

any more?

piranhaxp

Geizer ... many thx for your suggestions.
Install Multicharts and with all it's data files on a separate drive (perhaps SSD in RAID5?
)
Because of at least 3 necessary drives for RAID5 I'm unable to test an RAID5 environment. But you pushed me on another idea. RamDISK !? ... So loading MC up in a Virtual Reserved Memory ... There's enough DRAM installed .... So it would be on a different drive and without any restrictions from SATA ... Hardware or power failure shouldn't be an issue, because once RamDisk is installed and MC installed to the RAM, ramdisk image will be made everytime workstation was shut down ... there should be the possibility to syncronize the RAM image periodically as well .... I wil ltry it out ...
Will more CPU cores help?
I think 8 cores of i7 975 Extreme is enough .... Or do you think about dual socket server board setup with two Xeon's or Opterons/Phenom's ?
Tweak windows drive cash
Already done ....
Disable content indexing on all hard drives
Already done ....
Disable anti-virus. It's taxing you heavily
Nothing installed ....

Thank you ... Regarding RamDisk environment may there's another way to fix the issue.

Regards.

Mike

geizer

Postby geizer » 09 May 2011

RamDISK !? ... So loading MC up in a Virtual Reserved Memory ... There's enough DRAM installed .... So it would be on a different drive and without any restrictions from SATA ... Hardware or power failure shouldn't be an issue, because once RamDisk is installed and MC installed to the RAM, ramdisk image will be made everytime workstation was shut down ... there should be the possibility to syncronize the RAM image periodically as well .... I wil ltry it out ...
Mike,
I think you are correct about the Ram drive. And if this doesn't squeeze every last drop of available performance, I don't know what else could. Regarding the number of cores, I'm speculating that more cores the better, simply because Multicharts is capable of using them all, although I don't have the data to support my assumption.
I used this RAMDisk software before: http://memory.dataram.com/products-and- ... re/ramdisk to store the internet browser cache and reduce the wear of my SSD. This software allows to save the drive image automatically each time upon shutdown, and load it on start up.This way all changes are preserved.

Never thought of using it with Multicharts, but I don't see why this wouldn't work. I experienced one inconvenience while using the above Ramdisk. Once in a while it would not mount on start-up. Everytime after I connected a new external hdd or another piece of hardware the drive arrangement changes, and the ramdisk driver wouldn't load. I then needed to re-arrange drive letters manually. Other than that the above ram disk worked fine.
--
Pavel

TJ

Postby TJ » 09 May 2011

MultiCharts has been tested with a 2 CPU machine.

Every indicator in the same chart must be run by the same CPU core,
ie. the more charts you have, the more CPU core would help.

piranhaxp

Postby piranhaxp » 10 May 2011

TJ and Geizer,

surprise surprise. I installed 2 ramdisk on 2 different workstations with the same setup. I deinstalled MC on the hard way, so everything from TSSupport was deleted as well. Databases, studies, workspaces and more. I cleand registry manually. Then re-installed MC on each ramdrive as drive X.

And now : SURPRISE SURPRISE !!!! Still the same issue. Why ? May I can tell you. With a deeper view on the resource manager it looks like, it doesn't matter where MC is installed. Drive C is still busy. The reason is all tasks regarding storage of tick- and/or min-data are still working over drive C. I have to say that I moved the databases and the studyserver to drive X as well and changed all registry entries for this. But following tasks are still running on C and are making drive C still very busy :
c:\users\xxxx\appdata\local\ts support\multicharts\cache\storagelog.sch
c:\users\xxxx\appdata\local\ts support\multicharts\cache\522_1039699361.... and more numbers
c:\users\xxxx\appdata\local\ts support\multicharts\cache\storage_5523_1_minute_trade_......sch
c:\users\xxxx\appdata\local\ts support\multicharts\cache\storage_5523_1_tick_trade_......sch
c:\users\xxxx\appdata\local\ts support\multicharts\7.0.4267.203\logs\tsserver\tsiqdatafeed_trace.txt
c:\users\xxxx\appdata\local\ts support\multicharts\7.0.4267.203\logs\tsserver\tsesignalfeed_trace.txt
c:\users\xxxx\appdata\local\ts support\multicharts\7.0.4267.203\logs\tsserver\tstradestation_trace.txt

and many many more.
I tried to change the registry entries for the trace logs, but was unable to find them. Where is the sense to make a system slowly because of writing (may unwanted by the user) log files or at least why there's no possibility to change it ? But now I or we know, it's not the CPU and it's not the memory !!!! The drive X with installed MC is quiet, totally quiet. I could not believe it and checked it's dead or not ;o).

If I'm correct and MC support will confirm this issue, then the only one thing you can do to get out of the mc-disk-performance issue ( i call it like this) : buy an upcomming SATAIII SSD or PCI-Express SSD ... But let's wait for what MC support is saying. May they have a solution.

Kind regards.

Mike
Last edited by piranhaxp on 10 May 2011, edited 1 time in total.

piranhaxp

May I have to add something more, I found in the registry some entries like in the TS Support directory of the registry:

Trace\Enable - True
Trace\Enable DebugOutput - False
Trace\....
May they can be changed, but will wait for mc support.

Mike

SP

Postby SP » 10 May 2011

OCZ released their new VeloDrive for workstations 5 dasy ago with hard or software raid, but at the moment it costs way to much and with their problems with the 25nm nands it seems better to wait for an intel version.
http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manual ... _sheet.pdf

piranhaxp

SP ....

thx a lot. But you need 2 OCZ Velo's with HSPL driver in RAID0 mode for the same performance with OCZ RevoDrive X2. And it would be the same price ! The iFusion is much away from any sense from price perspective.

Regarding to the huge internal latency because of data managment (if there are some questions I can explain it) in MC and this new issue, I try to figure out MC is worthless or not for automatic trading or at least for fast scalping by yourself. Costs of hardware improvements shouldn't be an issue, because these 200-300USD more for much better performance should be paid in one week (theoretically). But let's come back to the main issue. Let's wait what MC support is saying regarding the issue.

I think it's a problem and MC support should taking care of it.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 10 May 2011

I'm asking because I'm experiencing bottlenecks with MC and 25 open low tick-frame charts all running in one workspace.
It would be nice to know what these bottlenecks are in detail.
CPU usage average on 12-17%
I think 8 cores of i7 975 Extreme is enough
In your case only 1 core (of 8 cores available) will do the calculating and drawing of the charts and (fast moving) bars*.
Just speculating: 12.5% of CPU usage may in extreeme cases equal to 100% usage of one (and only) core that does the chart and candle computing and drawing. If bars are moving fast you may lack computing resources on your CPU.

* multiple cores are used only for indicator calculating and drawing

piranhaxp

Tresor ....
piranhaxp wrote:

I'm asking because I'm experiencing bottlenecks with MC and 25 open low tick-frame charts all running in one workspace.

It would be nice to know what these bottlenecks are in detail.
I'm experiencing lagging moving tick-charts together with high disk usage in busy times. CPU usage on average or in tick delivery peaks is not increasing. That means than more ticks are coming in then more my disk is used and then more the charts are "lagging". Because of the disconnected issue together with the CPU but the connected issue with the disk I call it a "bottleneck". Further I don't see any peak in 1 core of 8 cores only. Looks like all together are working on the same usage level. For me, may I'm wrong, it means with higher tick delivery than more the disk is used because of writing/updating log-files. Please take a look above which files are still written in drive C after MC was moved to a "non-physical" drive at drive X (ramdisk) and the registry was edited regarding to the moved environment. It looks like as long as log-files are not updated, then charts are not updated time to time or periodically or in real-time. May it's prefered to update log's instead of charts. I don't see any higher CPU usage in busy times. That's why I believe it's not an CPU issue. By the way the only two indicators which are included in the charts are a repainter of a close (tick-by-tick) and the volume (tick-by-tick).

So no massive calculations necessary. It's just "re-painting" the last price and updating volume on last tick. That's all. Would be surprised if this is "too much" for an 8 core environment ....

But as longer as I'm thinking about any possibilities regarding the issue, I'm thinking there's more to figure out, because it seems like not just one of you experienced guys experienced the same issue in the past. Hmmm ....

Mike

piranhaxp

You TJ, Geizer, SP and Tresor ....

pls let me ask you one question. Is writing log files a "background"-service in your eyes ? Or is it a prefered "program"-service ?

Thanks... Mike

SP

Postby SP » 10 May 2011

Mike,
during the alpha test Stan said that they first log all details to find problems and reduce the log details during the beta from version to version and that the Release should log only the most necessary.
But i think Stan could provide more precise information about this.

piranhaxp

SP.....

thx a lot. Your information is much appreciated. Would be nice to be able to choose what should be "log"-ed and what not or at least to choose where to write the logs. Let's see what Stan is saying.

Thanks again.

Mike

piranhaxp

SP ...
thx a lot. But you need 2 OCZ Velo's with HSPL driver in RAID0 mode for the same performance with OCZ RevoDrive X2. And it would be the same price ! The iFusion is much away from any sense from price perspective.

Regarding to the huge internal latency because of data managment (if there are some questions I can explain it) in MC and this new issue, I try to figure out MC is worthless or not for automatic trading or at least for fast scalping by yourself. Costs of hardware improvements shouldn't be an issue, because these 200-300USD more for much better performance should be paid in one week (theoretically). But let's come back to the main issue. Let's wait what MC support is saying regarding the issue.

I think it's a problem and MC support should taking care of it.
SP ... sorry I have to revise my first comment . I confounded your proposed VeloDrive with the Vertex2 generation. I'm sorry .....

Mike

geizer

Postby geizer » 10 May 2011

pls let me ask you one question. Is writing log files a "background"-service in your eyes ? Or is it a prefered "program"-service ?
I think of logging mechanisms as background services. Logging is definitely not essential for the user, and must be flexible to configure/enable/disable.
For Multicharts developers they may be extremely important, so they may consider logging just as important as anything else to justify giving it equal priority.

Mike, here is some more thoughts... Have you thought of, or tried the following:

1. Moving page file to a RamDisk? This can be quite expensive memory-wise.
A quick alternative to this option is disabling page file . It would serve the purpose for this experiment.

2. Moving User Variables TEMP, and TMP (default: "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp") to some new location on the RamDisk ?

3. There are also similar System variables TEMP, TMP (default to "%SystemRoot%\TEMP"), but I would be cautious moving them.

4. Mount RAMDisk partition as a virtual hard disk folder ? The folder would be one where Multicharts dumps all the caches. I never used this OS feature, but thinking this could be a solution. Googling gives this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11 ... older.html

5. Disabling Windows built-in performance counters, which continuously accessing hard disk to write. May be useful to troubleshoot server performance, but I see no benefit for end users. The link is a 'how to' for Windows XP, but also works for Windows 7. There must be another way to access it in Windows 7 / windows 2008 server which I don't know. Link: http://windows-xp-tricks.com/disable-pe ... ows-xp.php

6. Elevating the priority of select Multicharts process(es) via Windows Task Manager... Just a n idea, although a crazy one.

7. Other thoughts which are obvious to spot, and I'm sure you checked them.
Provided for complete picture just in case:

- Windows Defragmenter kicked-in on schedule
- RAID is rebuilding itself in the background...

-
Pavel

piranhaxp

Postby piranhaxp » 11 May 2011

Pavel,

hey thank's for your comment. Instead of making some of your proposed tweaks, I thought about just diabling this annoying writing of log-files (trace-files). So I took a look into the registry again to find some of these entries. I found them under :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TS Support\BugSlayer
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TS Support\BugSlayer .

I attached a screenshot to see which entries I'm talking about.

I just changed all of these entries in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder from "true" to "false". Reboot and done. Surprise surprise. Disk C is close to "sleeping" now when Quotemanager is running and data are coming in. Log-folder for trace-files is empry and not just one log-file is written. Ok, cache-strorage-processes are still running, but my disk I/O value in went down to max 100KB/sec. from 850KB/sec. in quite times like this morning. We will see how it's working from US opening on with futures, ETF etc etc.. I will give it a try. If the change in
registry gives us congruent results on disk I/O values in busy times, than I should expect values like 500-700KB/sec instead of 4-8MB/sec in "un-tweaked" mode. This would be fine. But I would like to have the choice where to store the "real" cache data as well.

If this will not help I will try to follow your tweak suggestions.

Thanks again. I appreciate your help ;o)

Regards.

Mike
Attachments
Registry Editor_2011-05-11_10-02-54_1.png
(223.87 KiB) Downloaded 1705 times

geizer

Postby geizer » 11 May 2011

Mike, thanks for sharing the info.
It just came to mind this was already discussed on the forum.
Here is official from Dave: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7960&p=36679&hilit= ... log#p36679
There is video in that topic as well.

piranhaxp

Postby piranhaxp » 11 May 2011

Pavel .... thx for this heads up.

Just want to report and confirm, that the registry change was succesfull. With this frequent day today, based on tick-time-ration, my drive C was totally quiet, MC worked very well and did not experiencing any "lagging" issues with low-tick-frame charts.

But now I'm interested in, what these files :
c:\users\xxxx\appdata\local\ts support\multicharts\cache\storagelog.sch
c:\users\xxxx\appdata\local\ts support\multicharts\cache\522_1039699361.... and more numbers
c:\users\xxxx\appdata\local\ts support\multicharts\cache\storage_5523_1_minute_trade_......sch
c:\users\xxxx\appdata\local\ts support\multicharts\cache\storage_5523_1_tick_trade_......sch
are doing? They are the only one which are still activ. Are they realtime-related to build time-series in MC ? If so, then I it would be interesting to know why to store them on a "physical-drive" instead of caching them in the memory and storing them if the connected symbol is not used on a "physical storage". From my experience caching data in "non-physical memory" to build time-series is way much faster instaed of storing them on a "physical drive". Or is this solution regarded to the architecture (32bit) of MC, because they were afraid the memory of user-workstations are not enough ?

Sad, not to hear anything from MC regarding this discussion here.

Thanks guys for all your comments. I appreciate your comments, suggestions and tweak proposals.

Regards.

Mike

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 17 May 2011

Pavel,

hey thank's for your comment. Instead of making some of your proposed tweaks, I thought about just diabling this annoying writing of log-files (trace-files). So I took a look into the registry again to find some of these entries. I found them under :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TS Support\BugSlayer
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TS Support\BugSlayer .

I attached a screenshot to see which entries I'm talking about.

I just changed all of these entries in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder from "true" to "false". Reboot and done. Surprise surprise. Disk C is close to "sleeping" now when Quotemanager is running and data are coming in. Log-folder for trace-files is empry and not just one log-file is written. Ok, cache-strorage-processes are still running, but my disk I/O value in went down to max 100KB/sec. from 850KB/sec. in quite times like this morning. We will see how it's working from US opening on with futures, ETF etc etc.. I will give it a try. If the change in
registry gives us congruent results on disk I/O values in busy times, than I should expect values like 500-700KB/sec instead of 4-8MB/sec in "un-tweaked" mode. This would be fine. But I would like to have the choice where to store the "real" cache data as well.

If this will not help I will try to follow your tweak suggestions.

Thanks again. I appreciate your help ;o)

Regards.

Mike
Hi Mike,

My apologies for not responding sooner, we have been extremely busy fixing up everything we can for the upcoming MC7 release. You ended up doing the right thing - turning off the logs. That reduces the access to the disks quite a bit. The cache is used for storing loaded data, it's saved to the database only when you close MultiCharts.

piranhaxp

Postby piranhaxp » 17 May 2011

Stan,

thank you for your response. Don't worry, better late than never ;o).

I would suggest to be able to save cached data on a different place like a non "non-physical-memory" or something like that, which is not dependend on the "disk-speed" like a normal hard drive. Because caching all the imcoming data has a significant impact of the machine performance and therefore to MC itself.

May this is an issue for MC 8 .... ;o)

Regards.

Mike

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 17 May 2011

Stan,

thank you for your response. Don't worry, better late than never ;o).

I would suggest to be able to save cached data on a different place like a non "non-physical-memory" or something like that, which is not dependend on the "disk-speed" like a normal hard drive. Because caching all the imcoming data has a significant impact of the machine performance and therefore to MC itself.

May this is an issue for MC 8 .... ;o)

Regards.

Mike
You can always add a Feature Request, although I don't know how crucial this improvement would be.

piranhaxp

Postby piranhaxp » 25 May 2011

Stan, seems like you are online. So I take the chance to answer now.

I installed an OCZ RevoDrive X2 on a machine and installed MC7 beta3 on it. I compared the overall performance with writing log-files on this machine and without writing log-files on a different machine with the same setup except the harddrive.

The overall performance of the machine with the the RevoDrive was x-times better with writing log-files. I had no issue. Therefore I think, because of the impact on writing cache files on the harddisk, chosing "non-physical" drives of course will have an significant impact on performance (on charts, and system). Therefore a possibility to choose where to save the cache files would be fine.

Further it would be nice to get an explanation from you how incoming data from a feed are being processed step by step. Are the cached data used after they were saved on drive C, infront of the saving or is it a parallel process?

Regards.

Mike

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 25 May 2011

Stan, seems like you are online. So I take the chance to answer now.

I installed an OCZ RevoDrive X2 on a machine and installed MC7 beta3 on it. I compared the overall performance with writing log-files on this machine and without writing log-files on a different machine with the same setup except the harddrive.

The overall performance of the machine with the the RevoDrive was x-times better with writing log-files. I had no issue. Therefore I think, because of the impact on writing cache files on the harddisk, chosing "non-physical" drives of course will have an significant impact on performance (on charts, and system). Therefore a possibility to choose where to save the cache files would be fine.

Further it would be nice to get an explanation from you how incoming data from a feed are being processed step by step. Are the cached data used after they were saved on drive C, infront of the saving or is it a parallel process?

Regards.

Mike
Hi,

"Therefore a possibility to choose where to save the cache files would be fine."
- Did you create the appropriate feature request in the PM?

"an explanation from you how incoming data from a feed are being processed step by step. Are the cached data used after they were saved on drive C, infront of the saving or is it a parallel process?"
- I can't answer your question right now, I would have to dig deep into the documentation on the architecture of the program to find out the exact sequencing.

piranhaxp

Postby piranhaxp » 25 May 2011

Stan .... many thx for your quick reply.
- Did you create the appropriate feature request in the PM?
No, Because last time I tried to register it crashed my account in this forum. I was unable to login there and in this forum either again. Had to restore my account in this forum etc etc. That's why I don't want it. May you could do it for all of us. Would be helpful. Thank you.
I can't answer your question right now, I would have to dig deep into the documentation on the architecture of the program to find out the exact sequencing.
Would be nice to hear from you soon ;o) .... Thank you again.

Mike

Return to “MultiCharts”