Multi Charts with ZenFire and demo account?  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
John

Multi Charts with ZenFire and demo account?

Postby John » 19 May 2011

Hi I have a live account through Mirus futures and was trying out Multi charts connecting to ZenFire with my Mirus Login.
But it seems there is nowhere to select between Demo account and Live account?
So MCDT doesn't have an inbuilt demo account to practice?
This cant be so right?

Stan Bokov

Re: Multi Charts with ZenFire and demo account?  [SOLVED]

Postby Stan Bokov » 19 May 2011

MultiCharts (or MCDT) does not have a built-in simulator, we rely on brokers to provide you with a demo account. As far as I know, Zen-Fire/Mirus do not provide demo accounts right now.

John

Re: Multi Charts with ZenFire and demo account?

Postby John » 19 May 2011

Hi thanks for that.
So that means basically its useless as you can not test any trading method first which is 100% necessary.
Thankyou

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 May 2011

Hi thanks for that.
So that means basically its useless as you can not test any trading method first which is 100% necessary.
Thankyou
if you just want to do some button clicking,
you can use InteractiveBrokers' demo system.
It is free, and it does not require registration.

The catch is, it streams day old data. It is strictly for demo purpose only.

John

Postby John » 20 May 2011

Hi thanks for that.
Thankyou

Hi thanks nah that's not accurate if you are going to be trading real money through zenfire/mirus you need to test/practice with the same feed/data.
I guess its NT itself that provides the demo and MCDT would be perfect if it had at least a play money account to test with.
But anyway MC is a good program nonetheless but is missing that little thing.

John

Postby John » 20 May 2011

Ill use my same thread here so as to not clog up your board with 100 questions.
Why is it when I connect using multi charts to zenfire with the broker Mirus, that I get historical data in MCDT?
But when I connect using NT, I have to also connect to NT historical data server to get historical data?
How does MCDT get historical data from zenfire/mirus/rithmic?
When its not supposed to have historical data?
Its just a price feed?
Thanks

Jura

Postby Jura » 20 May 2011

Hi John,

The comment of Stan regarding paper trading with Mirus Futures got me thinking, as I myself was looking into trading with Mirus Futures.

I've contacted their support through email:
do you provide for your clients an Paper Trading account, so that strategies can be tested with 'virtual money'?
Yes it is all included in the demo which you can sign up for on our homepage.
So, according to their support it's possible, but I haven't checked it myself yet (now busy learning MC) and I'm little doubtful if the support really understood what I was asking - on their site there is no mention of an 'paper trading account' (and if you provide it, you would advertise with it right?). Anyway, their support can be reached at info [at-sign] mirusfutures.com.

Regards,

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 20 May 2011

I just clarified the question with Mirus. As I thought, they do not provide a demo account. What their support was referring to was that NT has a built-in simulator (I personally doubt how useful it is, since it has nothing to do with the real market, but that's just me). MultiCharts doesn't have a built-in one, we rely on the brokers to provide server-side simulation. Conclusion - there is no demo account at Zen-Fire/Mirus at all, and there is no built-in simulator in MC. Therefore, no paper trading is currently available with this broker.

However, Zen-Fire alerted us that they are working on a new API, where they will support server-side demo accounts. When it's released and integrated into MC, there will be a demo account with the MC-Mirus connection. Their ETA is sometime in the next few months.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 20 May 2011

Hi thanks for that.
Thankyou

You can use the free DEMO (don't confuse with simulated) account from TWS to practice trading. You can download and install TWS, and then login using the "edemo" login and "demouser" password. This login info is the same for everyone and it's free. When you login, you are limited to a week of historical, and completely fake, data. However, it allows you to send orders from MC and see them get filled.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 21 May 2011

Just posting to subscribe to this thread. Wish I knew an easier way to subscribe, like on BMT.

admin

Postby admin » 25 May 2011

Just posting to subscribe to this thread. Wish I knew an easier way to subscribe, like on BMT.
Subscribe topic and Bookmark topic options have been added.

Djinn

Postby Djinn » 26 Jul 2011

However, Zen-Fire alerted us that they are working on a new API, where they will support server-side demo accounts. When it's released and integrated into MC, there will be a demo account with the MC-Mirus connection. Their ETA is sometime in the next few months.
Hello Stan,

Any updates on the above mentioned?

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 26 Jul 2011

I was advised yesterday by Zen-Fire that the new API is finished, but we have not been provided with it yet. Presumably it will have demo accounts and server-side OCO groups. Will post when we have more concrete info.

ae

Postby ae » 26 Jul 2011

Stan, is MC planning to provide more historical data for Zen-Fire users? Currently, it is 1wk of minute and 1day of tick if which hardly enough...

Cheers

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 26 Jul 2011

We are not data providers, we do not store historical data from Zen-Fire - we depend on them streaming it from their servers. As far as I know, more historical data is expected as well.

sdonahue

Postby sdonahue » 01 Sep 2011

Hi- I was wondering if there was any update on the status of implementing the new Zen-Fire API into Multicharts (the one supporting server-side Sim, etc.)? I am anxious to begin getting a feel for running automated strategies in MC without having to risk capital initially.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 01 Sep 2011

Hello, sdonahue.
We are doing our best to support the latest Zen-fire API.
Still there are some moments that need to be resolved from the Zen-fire side.
Unfortunately we do not have an estimated time for that at the moment.

Djinn

Postby Djinn » 09 Sep 2011

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear Zenfire has provide you the new API. May i ask if it is confirmed that SIM trading account has been added in their API. And if so do you think that your developers may have it working within the next 30 to 45 days?
The reason i ask is that this is the only reason I'm still giving NT my money. My renewal is coming up in a few weeks and i was hopeing not to have to renew.
If it is not confirmed or you feel that your developers may not have a update with the SIM account ready to go, then please let me know so i can continue with NT for another 3 month and check back with you in December.

Thanks

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 09 Sep 2011

It is confirmed and we are hoping to have it tested and public by mid-October. We are confident can make that happen.

Djinn

Postby Djinn » 09 Sep 2011

Thanks for the quick reply Stan, mid October would be just about perfect.

Thanks again

Djinn

n00btrader

Postby n00btrader » 12 Sep 2011

Will the live sim demo require a funded account, or be free to use without any time limit?
How much historical data will it provide?
Will it support holding positions overnight?

Is there any update on when MC's built in sim engine will be out, like NT has, to be able to trade market replay etc?

sdonahue

Postby sdonahue » 13 Sep 2011

Hi Stan,

Thanks for the reply. October would be great so I can really begin testing management and execution of my automated strategies.
Will the live sim demo require a funded account, or be free to use without any time limit?

Is there any update on when MC's built in sim engine will be out, like NT has, to be able to trade market replay etc?
Yes, I am certain that the server-side simulator with Zen-Fire will require a funded account. When you log into the live feed, you will be able to choose "Live" or "Sim"-at least, that's how the API presents it. As long as you keep a funded account with the bare minimum, you should have permanent access to the Sim via the login. It is better for "real-life" forward testing (with all the disclaimers about being hypothetical, etc.) than the built-in Sim account because it more accurately simulates the real-life environment into which you'll be executing, synching and managing positions (depending on whether you're manual or automated), which is from a piece of local software interacting with a remote account via Internet-based broker connection.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 14 Sep 2011

We don't know for sure, we only provide the platform. Your broker will have those answers. From what I know to get SIM you will require a funded account. Historical is still not decided for sure, we'll see how much API provides. Holding positions - not sure, shouldn't be a problem. Trading Market replay and a sim engine are two very different things. There will probably be a built-in sim engine for the Zen connection in addition to the sim that the new API provides.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 14 Sep 2011

It is better for "real-life" forward testing (with all the disclaimers about being hypothetical, etc.) than the built-in Sim account because it more accurately simulates the real-life environment into which you'll be executing, synching and managing positions (depending on whether you're manual or automated), which is from a piece of local software interacting with a remote account via Internet-based broker connection.
Very true. The API sim should and probably will be a larger undertaking that's more precise because it's on the broker side. Local soft always approximates, how good that approximation is depends on the assumptions made. Broker can minimize those assumptions since they know what's going on in their own yard. Good answer, sdonahue.

kiasom

Postby kiasom » 20 Sep 2011

Hello, sdonahue.
We are doing our best to support the latest Zen-fire API.
Still there are some moments that need to be resolved from the Zen-fire side.
Unfortunately we do not have an estimated time for that at the moment.
The Zenfire connection has been rather unstable the last days, it's dropping out every now and then (each hour or each second hour), on different computers. It's not related to my ISP, because i tested different ones. Has smth been changed in the API?
Is there an update available?
Thanks for your help.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 20 Sep 2011

Nothing changed on our end. Have you reached out to their support?

Djinn

Postby Djinn » 05 Oct 2011

Hi Stan

Any updates on the Zenfiire Demo API?

Thanks

Postby Guest » 06 Oct 2011

I heard a Mirus webinar this week on MultiCharts where they said Zen-fire is working on adding demo support to the next version of their DLL, confirming what has been said here, but no release date specifics.

Does anyone know how would it be possible to seamlessly incorporate more historical data, back-fill, than the current contract month's trading data where volume drops off before people roll to it. Would that require historical data from a different server? Would it require a change to the DLL's?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 06 Oct 2011

Hi Stan
Any updates on the Zenfiire Demo API?
Thanks
Zenfire Demo API is coming November-December.
I heard a Mirus webinar this week on MultiCharts where they said Zen-fire is working on adding demo support to the next version of their DLL, confirming what has been said here, but no release date specifics.

Does anyone know how would it be possible to seamlessly incorporate more historical data, back-fill, than the current contract month's trading data where volume drops off before people roll to it. Would that require historical data from a different server? Would it require a change to the DLL's?
You can import data or merge it with the other data source.
IQFeed for example - you can get a free trial from here

Return to “MultiCharts”