Best R&D Machine For MultiCharts 7?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
furytrader

Best R&D Machine For MultiCharts 7?

Postby furytrader » 19 Jul 2011

I am looking to outfit a new machine for doing research using MultiCharts 7. I would not be using this model for trading, but rather for crunching a lot of data, doing large-scale optimizations, etc.

I understand that it's better to have a multi-core processor than a single core, as this allows MultiCharts to take advantage of its multi-threading capabilities. Are some multi-core processors better than others? How many processors are best?

Also, is there a limit, with MultiCharts 7, to the amount of memory that can be addressed? Does it make sense to get a machine with 8GB, 12GB or more, or can MultiCharts only use a certain fixed amount of memory?

Finally, when it comes to buying a version of Windows 7, is there any preference to using one version versus another? (Home vs. Business, etc.)

Thanks for any insights you may have!

TJ

Re: Best R&D Machine For MultiCharts 7?

Postby TJ » 19 Jul 2011

I am looking to outfit a new machine for doing research using MultiCharts 7. I would not be using this model for trading, but rather for crunching a lot of data, doing large-scale optimizations, etc.

I understand that it's better to have a multi-core processor than a single core, as this allows MultiCharts to take advantage of its multi-threading capabilities. Are some multi-core processors better than others? How many processors are best?

Also, is there a limit, with MultiCharts 7, to the amount of memory that can be addressed? Does it make sense to get a machine with 8GB, 12GB or more, or can MultiCharts only use a certain fixed amount of memory?

Finally, when it comes to buying a version of Windows 7, is there any preference to using one version versus another? (Home vs. Business, etc.)

Thanks for any insights you may have!
you can compare CPU power here:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 19 Jul 2011

No matter what I do my MultiCharts 7 Beta 5 never uses more than 1.3 GB out of 8 GB memory!
I have 7 Ultimate on one computer, 7 Home Premium on another; MultiCharts on both and find no difference on how MultiCharts responds.

Personally, if I did not have Windows 7, I would rather wait for Windows 8. Microsoft has confirmed that the system requirements for Windows 8 will be the same as those of Windows 7.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 26 Jul 2011

As mentioned in other threads, MultiCharts is currently 32-bit, which allows it to use only 2 GB of memory. We are working on a 64-bit version, which will allow you to use 8, 12 and so on amounts of memory that you may have on your machine. Therefore, I would advise a motherboard powerful and scalable enough to outfit more memory, and purchase a 64-bit version of Windows.

As for processors, some people use Xeon setups with 4 processors for a total of 32 cores, which make optimizations significantly faster.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 26 Jul 2011

and purchase a 64-bit version of Windows.
Good advise. But when may one expect the 64-bit version of MultiCharts?

About Windows 8, my guess is it shall be available in about a years time.

Khalid

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 26 Jul 2011

and purchase a 64-bit version of Windows.

About Windows 8, my guess is it shall be available in about a years time.

Khalid
** Windows 8 is supposed to be released this fall- Sept-Oct I think..(barring delays)

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 26 Jul 2011

Will MC8 be 64 bit ???

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 26 Jul 2011

Will MC8 be 64 bit ???
Yes.

More here:

http://search.microsoft.com/results.asp ... =Windows+8

Khalid

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 27 Jul 2011

Probably sometime in the fall of 2011.

Return to “MultiCharts”