MC chart price doesn`t match IB price by 1p

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
DRCM

MC chart price doesn`t match IB price by 1p

Postby DRCM » 28 Jul 2011

Hello,

I use EUR.USD Idealpro with IB and I found that price on MC chart is higher by 1pip. If TWS shows 1.4311, MC - 1.4312. For eg. TWS price 1.43112, 1.43115, 1.43118 or exactly 1.43110, MC shows 1.4312. probably MC can`t see the last fifth digit and round it in correct way ( which is very bad thing as it can trigger order too late or too early), but I can`t undestand why MC shows 1.4312 when TWS price is 1.43110? 1pip difference !!! Tryed to restart and delete, reload data from IB, but same problem still exist. Definitely no delay on time, PC,MC and TWS time match each other.
DOM price on the same ticker is correct and match IB TWS price and last digit rounding looks correct, but anyway half of pip (eg. 0.5 shows 1; 1.5 shows 2 and etc. ) is a huge difference when you trade forex.
I`ll try to load GBP.USD and couple other forex tickers and let you know what`s the results later.
Is anybody experienced this kind of problem with the latest MC7 and TWS? Could MC team confirm it as a bug and its not only happening on my machine? :) if yes...please
...as MultiCharts team claims that its software is very precise would be very nice to see all these things fixed asap as trading in this way is quite dangerous. hopefully its not a new feature and I will not need to make a request for it.
thanks

Dave Masalov

Re: MC chart price doesn`t match IB price by 1p

Postby Dave Masalov » 29 Jul 2011

DRCM,

Have you added symbols from data source (QM --> Instrument --> Add --> From Data Source) or manually? Please check price scale settings in Quote Manager --> right click on the symbol --> Edit Symbol --> Settings. If the problem persists, please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri between 6:30AM and 2PM EST so we can connect to your machine remotely and help you.

Grigorios

Postby Grigorios » 29 Jul 2011

yea just fix the price scale to 1/100000 and min. movement to 5 in idealpro exchange couse default is wrong...

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 29 Jul 2011

hello,
I changed Quote Manager --> right click on the symbol --> Edit Symbol --> Settings to custom settings, 1/100000 and min. movement 5, but it doesn`t help. only difference I`ve got is five digits in the EUR.USD chart after dot. But it still shows wrong price by 0.5 pip this time. TWS 1.43910, MC-1.43915. here is realy something wrong. DOM is precise now, shows exact price every 0.5 pip.
I don`t realy like to go to Live Chart as last time you guys kept me connected 2 or 3 hours online just to download my logs. Actually, I lost half of my trading day. If honestly, I thought it should take about 5-10 mins :) is there any other way to get it fixed? Is anybody else experienced same problems?
thanks

btw, I also tryed GBP.USD and EUR.GBP idealpro tickers, same problem.

Grigorios

Postby Grigorios » 29 Jul 2011

are you aware that MC shows ask data on chart ???

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 31 Jul 2011

Hi Grigorios,

I don`t actually understand what do you want to say. Do I have to change any MC settings to get last price from IB TWS and it`s by default ask price now?
Thanks

Nick

Postby Nick » 01 Aug 2011

There is no 'last' price reported on spot FX all you have is best bid and best ask changes. Providers estimate what trades there might have been based on those changes. I think (though I may be mistaken) IB prints the mid price hence the discrepancy with MC. (Of course IB knows about its own customers trades but that is all).

Edit: I just noticed that you are talking about orders in your first post. To be safe you probablly want to base buys of the best offer price or sells off the best bid price. You can also join the best bid or best offer with a limit order. IB have tons of educational videos, I am sure they will have stuff about spot FX, IdealPro and how orders get matched and executed in that environment.

Grigorios

Postby Grigorios » 01 Aug 2011

Hi Grigorios,

I don`t actually understand what do you want to say. Do I have to change any MC settings to get last price from IB TWS and it`s by default ask price now?
Thanks

I say that what you see in TWS chart is the bid price....and in MC chart is ask price....the 0.5-1 pip difference is the regular IB spread.....got it??

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 01 Aug 2011

hello everybody,

Ok. I`ll formulate my question a little bit different way then. Why the DOM and Chart prices are slightly different on the same symbol?

Thanks

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 09 Aug 2011

Why the DOM and Chart prices are slightly different on the same symbol?
DRCM,

Let me explain it in details. DOM shows last trade price (DOM in IB and MC show the same price). IB does not provide trade (last trade data), so when you plot trade chart in MC you see bid data. This is how it is implemented. This is why the price that you see on the chart differs from the price in DOM. The price on the chart can be either bid or ask (as IB does not provide trade price) - sell or buy prices in DOM.

Return to “MultiCharts”