SetStopLoss not working properly

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
allenlowe

SetStopLoss not working properly

Postby allenlowe » 25 Aug 2011

I have set my stoploss for HSI at 150 points which work well for the pass. All my trading is automated with a remote private server. This morning my strategy exercise a long at 19755, which at the same time generate a stop order 19605 in my TWS. Everything seems fine.

However, at around 2:00 pm HK time today, the system suddenly cancel my stop order at 19605 and replace an order at 19625 immediately filled. When I check my charts and coding, my signal on the chart showing the open long order exercise at 19780 and therefore it change my stop order to 19625. I don't understand why the my strategy this morning will change to 19780 while my actual exercise price is 19755. Also, if the strategic long suppose at 19780, my stop price should be at 19625 all the morning. However, the case is it suddenly change and immediately filled.

The worst part is after the trading hour. I close MC and re-open it again, it shows that my stop price should be 19605 and therefore my stop loss should not exercise.

Is this a bug?

Dave Masalov

Re: SetStopLoss not working properly

Postby Dave Masalov » 25 Aug 2011

allenlowe,

Was the order sent to the broker with the price of 19755 (correct one), and the broker then executed it at price 19780? If yes, then you need to contact the broker with this question.

Please let us know if the order was sent to the broker with the price of 19780.

allenlowe

Postby allenlowe » 25 Aug 2011

No, the problem I have is the order was submitted by MC at 19755 in the morning and exactly executed at 19755. The stop loss order at broker and MC were 19605 and all of a sudden changed to 19625 and the chart suddenly showing long at 19780 which is not true at all. After closing, I reload the chart and it got back to 19755.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 26 Aug 2011

allenlowe,

We need more information for investigation. If the issue occurs again please send us MultiCharts log files ( Start –> MC folder –> Logs –> right click on Logs –> Open File Location –> send Logs and sys_info to compressed zipped file).

Also, please make the screenshots of Order and Position Tracker --> Orders (time, price, broker ID of the order and symbol name) and Logs tab. Send it to support@multicharts.com or come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri between 6:30 AM and 2 PM EST.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 05 Jul 2012

Was the order sent to the broker with the price of 19755 (correct one), and the broker then executed it at price 19780? If yes, then you need to contact the broker with this question.
No, the problem I have is the order was submitted by MC at 19755 in the morning and exactly executed at 19755.
What's the difference of "sent" versus "submitted" in the Order and Position Tracker (pending orders)? IB & Local sim stop-loss orders are sent, while MB stop-loss orders are submitted.

However, according to the supported brokers page, stop-loss orders with both brokers are directly send to the broker. Why then is there a difference between sent and submitted, and what does this mean?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 06 Jul 2012

No, the problem I have is the order was submitted by MC at 19755 in the morning and exactly executed at 19755.
What's the difference of "sent" versus "submitted" in the Order and Position Tracker (pending orders)? IB & Local sim stop-loss orders are sent, while MB stop-loss orders are submitted.

However, according to the supported brokers page, stop-loss orders with both brokers are directly send to the broker. Why then is there a difference between sent and submitted, and what does this mean?
For IB stop order has "Sent" status when it is monitored in TWS. "Submitted" status appears when the order is on the exchange.
For ZF Local Sim stop order has "Sent" status, limit order is "Submitted".
For MBTrading all open orders have "Submitted" status.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 06 Jul 2012

Thanks Henry.
For IB stop order has "Sent" status when it is monitored in TWS. "Submitted" status appears when the order is on the exchange.
This is still somewhat unclear to me. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that IB stops are kept on the IB server and not on the exchange?

When I asked IB Support about this recently, they said all stops are placed on the exchange, and on the IB Exchange website stop orders are listed under "Native to Exchange" and not under "Simulated by IB". Shouldn't the status of these orders then be "Submitted" instead of "Sent"?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Jul 2012

Stops and limits location is determined by your account type and MultiCharts IB broker profile settings:

Native OCO enabled, Overfill protection enabled.
For orders sent in the OCO group:
All Limit orders (entry and exit) are blue (on broker).
All Stop orders (entry and exit) are blue (on broker).

Limit orders sent not in the OCO group:
All Limit orders (entry and exit) are green (on exchange).

Native OCO enabled, Overfill protection disabled.
Limit entry order-blue (on broker).
Limit exit order-green (on exchange).
All Stop orders (entry and exit) are blue (on broker).

Native OCO disabled.
All limits (entry and exit) are green (on exchange).
All Stops (entry and exit) are blue (on broker).

Note: On IB Live account you can send Stop orders directly to the exchange (green in TWS).
You need to enable "Use outside RTH tag" to do that.
In order to send multiple orders directly to the exchange "Use Native OCO Group" should also be disabled.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 10 Jul 2012

No, the problem I have is the order was submitted by MC at 19755 in the morning and exactly executed at 19755. The stop loss order at broker and MC were 19605 and all of a sudden changed to 19625 and the chart suddenly showing long at 19780 which is not true at all. After closing, I reload the chart and it got back to 19755.
I have experienced this same problem probably 2-5 times. Since I don't use MC for automated trading, I really didn't bother to pursue it.

Q: Did you re-load the HSI data in your chart? Sometimes, reloading the data leads to new data in the chart coming from historical server, whereas earlier data was from real time IB feed (coming from another server). Check this post.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9082

Return to “MultiCharts”