Ram usage

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
faraz

Ram usage

Postby faraz » 04 Sep 2011

Hi,

I have found a problem in Multicharts that if you keep it running it will increase Ram usage with the passage of time and kept increasing if you keep running multicharts. Now this issue get worse if you are running multicharts with 10 charts and more than 1 week time.

I checked Multicharts keep writing Log files and Log files kept increasing. There should be a way that Multicharts delete 4 days old log files automatically to keep the log files low size.

Awaiting

TJ

Re: Ram usage

Postby TJ » 04 Sep 2011

Hi,

I have found a problem in Multicharts that if you keep it running it will increase Ram usage with the passage of time and kept increasing if you keep running multicharts. Now this issue get worse if you are running multicharts with 10 charts and more than 1 week time.

I checked Multicharts keep writing Log files and Log files kept increasing. There should be a way that Multicharts delete 4 days old log files automatically to keep the log files low size.

Awaiting
Do your charts grow in size over the time you kept MultiCharts opened?

eg. a 20 days chart will become a 30 days chart, etc.,?

faraz

TJ,

Yes, I use Intraday charts. I cann't refresh charts to reduce the number of bars because then AutoTrading will turn off and I have to re-Start autotrading and enter each open position manually.

Note: I use Syns autotrading mode and that does not work with the feature which can assume the chart and broker postion same.

Awaiting

TJ

Postby TJ » 04 Sep 2011

TJ,

Yes, I use Intraday charts. I cann't refresh charts to reduce the number of bars because then AutoTrading will turn off and I have to re-Start autotrading and enter each open position manually.

Note: I use Syns autotrading mode and that does not work with the feature which can assume the chart and broker postion same.

Awaiting
if your charts grow in size, so will your Ram usage. You cannot have a bigger chart without more data points, more variables, more arrays, more plots, more drawing objects, etc.,

The RAM usage will grow especially fast if you use 1 tick charts and have lots of variables or arrays in your studies.

How much of a problem do you observe? eg. how much more RAM over how many days?
Can you make a screen shot of your TaskManager at the beginning of the period, and another screen shot after a period of time?

faraz

i use 30 minute charts.

I have saved all Ram usage list and will check tomorrow or after some time to see which program is putting loading on ram. Will let u know after some tests.

Thanks

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Sep 2011

Hello Faraz.
TJ is correct. "If your charts grow in size, so will your Ram usage. You cannot have a bigger chart without more data points, more variables, more arrays, more plots, more drawing objects, etc.,". This is normal behavior.
MultiCharts is a 32 bit application and has a Windows limitation of 2 GB of virtual memory per process. Do you receive a warning message that the program is running out of memory? The warning message comes up when the use of virtual memory reaches 1.5 GB. If the process that consumes too much memory is MultiCharts.exe or MCPortfolio.exe, then you can try to use multiple instances of the program. However, if it is Tsserver.exe, there is no workaround at the moment. The issue will disappear when we transition to 64 bits.
Task manager does not show the virtual memory consumption properly. The easiest way to check the consumption of virtual memory is to use Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx).
Please let us know what process consumes the memory, how much more RAM over how many days?
Please attach the workspace you are using and the screeshots of the Process explorer at the start of the test and at the end of it.

faraz

Postby faraz » 13 Sep 2011

Henry,
Thank you. I investigated it was the 7 Charts which was eating ram. I reduced the charts and it reduces the load. But still Ram increase around 100 mb in 2-3 days time with 3 charts and continue to increase. Which mean that Multicharts need to re-look on this issue because For strategy trading platform this should not happen and stay low on ram so it can be run for weeks and months with out closing down Strategy AutoTrading.

Thanks

TJ

Postby TJ » 13 Sep 2011

Henry,
Thank you. I investigated it was the 7 Charts which was eating ram. I reduced the charts and it reduces the load. But still Ram increase around 100 mb in 2-3 days time with 3 charts and continue to increase. Which mean that Multicharts need to re-look on this issue because For strategy trading platform this should not happen and stay low on ram so it can be run for weeks and months with out closing down Strategy AutoTrading.

Thanks
If your computer has lots of RAM, you can start 7 instances of MultiCharts. Put a chart in each of the MultiCharts instances, each chart (instance) will then have access to 2GB of RAM.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 14 Sep 2011

The data is received and processed by MultiСharts and the results are plotted on the chart. All this data should be presented on the chart and be visible for the trader. If you want to have a long history on the chart and keep on trading, you will need to store this data in order to use it. MultiСharts.exe stores all the data that is present on the chart. This is not an issue, but expected behavior.

We recommend restarting MultiСharts to avoid overload once in a week (frequency may vary depending on the usage). If you want to decrease the RAM usage, please divide the charts into several instances of MultiCharts as TJ suggested.

Return to “MultiCharts”