multiple strategies same symbol

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
iceman

multiple strategies same symbol

Postby iceman » 18 Sep 2011

Is there a limit on how many strategies you can have running at the same time on the same symbol?

TJ

Re: multiple strategies same symbol

Postby TJ » 18 Sep 2011

Is there a limit on how many strategies you can have running at the same time on the same symbol?
I don't know the limitation,
but usually when there is more than one strategy running,
you need to be extra careful with the entries and exits.
Your logic has to take into account for the other strategy's action at all times.
It is like using both hand to do something,
your left hand better know what your right hand is doing.

The old adage -- KISS applies.

momentum

Postby momentum » 19 Sep 2011

iceman, from a practical point of view, each strategy should send orders to a different account at your broker as otherwise when one strategy is short and another is long, the stops and targets create a mess when the long from one strategy closes out a short in the other in the same account. By opening a number of accounts at the same broker you can get around this issue. Number of strategies depends on the number of broker accounts.

gmoney

Postby gmoney » 19 Sep 2011

Another option is to use multiple charts for the same account. You also may need to run long trades in one chart and short trades in a separate chart - this way undesired reversals don't happen and stops and profit targets are still active. Note, I don't think you can use any keywords that are using your broker position, you need to keep it to the chart (marketposition....not MarketPosition_at_Broker_for_The_Strategy). I have been doing this with a demo account and it appears to be working correctly.

furytrader

Postby furytrader » 19 Sep 2011

Depending on what you're trading, it may not be possible to open separate accounts that trade the same market - for example, in US futures trading, I'm pretty sure that's not allowed.

momentum

Postby momentum » 20 Sep 2011

furytrader, I'm doing just that with 2 brokers. It seems standard operating procedure for traders running a number of automated strategies.

furytrader

Postby furytrader » 20 Sep 2011

When I investigated opening multiple accounts with MF Global, they specifically stated that the accounts could not trade the same market/month in futures because of CFTC rules (I forget the exact CFTC rule, but I can look it up).

I believe the rules are in place to prevent people from entering fictitious cross trades between accounts they control in order to create the illusion of activity in illiquid markets, or to "paint the tape" for trades to occur at certain prices close to settlement.

Return to “MultiCharts”