MultiCharts 7.1 Beta

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
admin

MultiCharts 7.1 Beta

Postby admin » 04 Oct 2011

MultiCharts 7.1 is an beta update to the latest MultiCharts release. Given the number of new features and changes in the last release, we received important feedback from users. Many bugs were fixed; we documented PowerLanguage keywords, optimized memory usage and added some small features.

Learn more about MultiCharts 7.1 Beta Release and download it

note: List of new Reserved Words with explanations:
https://www.multicharts.com/traders-blog/?p=427

geizer

Re: MultiCharts 7.0.1 Beta

Postby geizer » 04 Oct 2011

Thank you. The list of improvements is impressive. The change in the state of documentation is a major step.

Questions:

- Opening "Help" -> "About" says "MultiCharts Version 7.1 Beta 1 (Build 4695)
- Probably doesn't matter but is it 7.0.1 or 7.1 Beta 1, and what makes it "Beta" ?

Thank you
Pavel

Dave Masalov

Re: MultiCharts 7.0.1 Beta

Postby Dave Masalov » 05 Oct 2011

Dear Pavel,

The correct name of the version that has been released yesterday is MultiCharts Version 7.1 Beta 1. It is Beta because it has new features in it, which while tested in our QA environment cannot be implemented in the release version without beta-testing stage.

SP

Re: MultiCharts 7.1 Beta

Postby SP » 05 Oct 2011

Dave,

is it possible to add that "Skipping identical ticks" option in the PLE Editor under Properties also,
so that you can uncheck it as default and dont have to look every time at the charts if it is off as some indicators with volume and time calculations needs to run every tick even on the same price and you need to unchecked the option on all new charts? Is there a reason this option isnt available for the Scanner?

Are there any news regarding Times and Sales?
Last edited by SP on 05 Oct 2011, edited 1 time in total.

vking

Postby vking » 05 Oct 2011

agree with SP.

If this can be made as compiler directive similar to - "intrabarordergeneration"

Thanks.

furytrader

Postby furytrader » 05 Oct 2011

Note to self: do not attempt to upgrade MultiCharts during the trading day, as it has to recompile all of my studies and indicators.

Since this stage of the upgrade process takes so long, it'd be great if there was some kind of progress meter that one could follow to see how this is going. I've been compiling now for about 30 minutes.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 05 Oct 2011

Note to self: do not attempt to upgrade MultiCharts during the trading day, as it has to recompile all of my studies and indicators.

Since this stage of the upgrade process takes so long, it'd be great if there was some kind of progress meter that one could follow to see how this is going. I've been compiling now for about 30 minutes.
** It depends on how many studies that you have. Mine takes 30-60 minutes or so...for 1600 studies..I usually start it and walk away and do something else...I'm going to do mine this weekend, if there are no crashes reported..

arnie

Postby arnie » 05 Oct 2011

It's nice to see the bid and ask on the chart trading window. Also, nice to have an option now to insert drawing for each chart from right mouse menu. Thanks to add these.

Now, this new "skip ticks" feature apparently are messing up with one of my countdowns barinterval - ticks. It has a huge delay when comparing with MC's own countdown. When previously we could have a 1 to 2 ticks difference between both readings, now we can see 20 ticks or more.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 05 Oct 2011

I have a request in the project management for a beep or sound when it is done. Having both would be nice. It just occurred to me that an option for a constant beep rather than just a single beep would be nice since if you step out of the room and come back it would be nice to have it still beeping (especially if the screen has gone dark). Anyway, the constant beep is now added to the request.

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 05 Oct 2011

Can you please let me know more specifically to find these new keywords mentioned?

"Documentation for 50 PowerLanguage keywords

PowerLanguage Help section was updated to describe 50 undocumented keywords. Check the Help file to see detailed descriptions and examples."

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 06 Oct 2011

Dear furytrader,

To avoid waiting please uncheck "Compile All Studies" checkbox in installer window. Thank you for your suggestion, however the progress meter should get the info from compiler itself and it is not easy to implement. At the moment we have more important features in the works.

Dave Masalov

Can you please let me know more specifically to find these new keywords mentioned?

PowerLanguage Help section was updated to describe 50 undocumented keywords. Check the Help file to see detailed descriptions and examples."
gpw797,

New words have been added to almost every section of the Keyword Reference in the help file: Strategy Position Trades (new section), Strategy Position Synchronization (new section) , Portfolio Strategy Performance, Output, Quote Fields, Trendline Drawing, Arrow Drawing, Text Drawing, Data Information, Execution control, Comparison and Loops.

Dave Masalov

Now, this new "skip ticks" feature apparently are messing up with one of my countdowns barinterval - ticks. It has a huge delay when comparing with MC's own countdown. When previously we could have a 1 to 2 ticks difference between both readings, now we can see 20 ticks or more.
arnie,

What you describe is the normal behavior with the "skip ticks" option turned on. Please try to disable this option.

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 06 Oct 2011

Comparing the old help file to the new help file to find the new words.. that will only take a day or two...??? Isn't there a list of the new commands someplace? I thought I saw an post somewhere with the new words?

gpw797,

New words have been added to almost every section of the Keyword Reference in the help file: Strategy Position Trades (new section), Strategy Position Synchronization (new section) , Portfolio Strategy Performance, Output, Quote Fields, Trendline Drawing, Arrow Drawing, Text Drawing, Data Information, Execution control, Comparison and Loops.

Dave Masalov

gpw797,

Indeed, there is such a list here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9206&p=43689&hilit=revsize#p43689

Other keywords added to the help file are: mc_tl_New, intervaltype, intervaltype_ex and break.

gpw797

The crash that happens when you open an exit strategy (especially when you have an open position) still happens with this version :(

gpw797

Thanks.. that is easier. You might want to dd that link to the release notes.

gpw797,

Indeed, there is such a list here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9206&p=43689&hilit=revsize#p43689

Other keywords added to the help file are: mc_tl_New, intervaltype, intervaltype_ex and break.

vking

Postby vking » 06 Oct 2011

With 7.1 beta - there seems to be some kind of caching issue with the study applied on few occassions:

- built a signal study
- applied to chart
- made few changes with print statements ( commented few)
- compiled the study
- the study that was applied to chart was still continuing to display the messages that were commented out ( I have cleared the old messages from the output window to make sure I am capturing the new ones - before and after the changes/compilation).
- I have closed the power language editor
- removed the study from the chart
- re-applied again and it's behaving correctly
- have seen similar issues with other areas as well ( like few expected signals were missing with re-compiled code - same code is saved as different version and applied - works this time - no other changes - just changed the version name and applied)
- at present - as a work around during development stage - just saving as a different version and applying to the chart.

7.0 editor was fine but this issue started with 7.1

thanks

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 07 Oct 2011

The crash that happens when you open an exit strategy (especially when you have an open position) still happens with this version
gpw797,

Please send us MultiCharts logs as well as dump files and video demonstrating the issue.

You can find log files here "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts\".
Please paste this line in Start --> Run and in the window that will pop up make a zip-folder.

Dump files can be created using Microsoft Process Explorer or Debug Diag software. If you are not sure how to do it, please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 4 PM EST so we can do it for you: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 07 Oct 2011

This same crash happened on my machine while you guys were on it via live chat about 6 weeks ago investigating another issue. You guys downloaded all kinds of stuff when it happened... would it still help to send again?

The crash that happens when you open an exit strategy (especially when you have an open position) still happens with this version
gpw797,

Please send us MultiCharts logs as well as dump files and video demonstrating the issue.

You can find log files here "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts\".
Please paste this line in Start --> Run and in the window that will pop up make a zip-folder.

Dump files can be created using Microsoft Process Explorer or Debug Diag software. If you are not sure how to do it, please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 4 PM EST so we can do it for you: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 07 Oct 2011

With 7.1 beta - there seems to be some kind of caching issue with the study applied on few occassions:

- built a signal study
- applied to chart
- made few changes with print statements ( commented few)
- compiled the study
- the study that was applied to chart was still continuing to display the messages that were commented out ( I have cleared the old messages from the output window to make sure I am capturing the new ones - before and after the changes/compilation).
- I have closed the power language editor
- removed the study from the chart
- re-applied again and it's behaving correctly
- have seen similar issues with other areas as well ( like few expected signals were missing with re-compiled code - same code is saved as different version and applied - works this time - no other changes - just changed the version name and applied)
- at present - as a work around during development stage - just saving as a different version and applying to the chart.
vking,

We failed to reproduce the issue on our end. Please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri from 6:30 Am to 1 PM EST for investigation.

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 07 Oct 2011

I went to live chat and they told me that they couldn't help unless I could reproduce the event live and I couldn't. Please refer to the previous event when we were live and the crash happened and you guys downloaded all the files off my machine (aprox. 6 weeks ago).

This same crash happened on my machine while you guys were on it via live chat about 6 weeks ago investigating another issue. You guys downloaded all kinds of stuff when it happened... would it still help to send again?

gpw797,

CrazyNasdaq

Postby CrazyNasdaq » 08 Oct 2011

Volume problems in renko charts as described in this issue in the PM section http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue ... _no=MC-571 is not fixed in MC 7.1 beta1.
I hope it will be fixed with the next beta.
Regards

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 08 Oct 2011

Fixing Renko and HA charts appears to be a very low priority unfortunately.
Volume problems in renko charts as described in this issue in the PM section http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue ... _no=MC-571 is not fixed in MC 7.1 beta1.
Regards

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 08 Oct 2011

Thanks Multicharts. I have to go through every fu#&ing chart and every fu*&ing indicator and turn off "skip identical ticks" because all my indicators are volume based. Just because you guys think I that everyone will want it turned on automatically. sh!t. I am officially pissed.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 10 Oct 2011

Volume problems in renko charts as described in this issue in the PM section https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-571 is not fixed in MC 7.1 beta1.
CrazyNasdaq,

We will consider your feature request for future implementation, however it is not the highest priority one.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 10 Oct 2011

Thanks Multicharts. I have to go through every fu#&ing chart and every fu*&ing indicator and turn off "skip identical ticks" because all my indicators are volume based. Just because you guys think I that everyone will want it turned on automatically. sh!t. I am officially pissed.
I think ALL new features should be defaulted to OFF, OR have a global on-off option somewhere..

CrazyNasdaq

Postby CrazyNasdaq » 10 Oct 2011

I think ALL new features should be defaulted to OFF, OR have a global on-off option somewhere..

I agree with you sptrader. The new features should be setted by default to "OFF" and turn to "ON" on personal choice. It would be useful as sptrader wrote again, to have this choice setting by default on OFF or ON in some setting panel.

vking

Postby vking » 10 Oct 2011

compiler directive similar to "IOG" would be also helpful - and one can pick and chose while coding itself - how the indicator/strategy should behave.

Thanks.

I agree with you sptrader. The new features should be setted by default to "OFF" and turn to "ON" on personal choice. It would be useful as sptrader wrote again, to have this choice setting by default on OFF or ON in some setting panel.

NW27

Postby NW27 » 11 Oct 2011

There are still some issues with the Chart Trading side of things.
1. The Breakeven stop moves by itself. I have a video of this in action but it's 35M in size :(

2. Sometimes the Master Strategy things do a wobbly. Ie the TS, BE etc disappear.
Neil.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 11 Oct 2011

There are still some issues with the Chart Trading side of things.
1. The Breakeven stop moves by itself. I have a video of this in action but it's 35M in size

2. Sometimes the Master Strategy things do a wobbly. Ie the TS, BE etc disappear.
Neil.
Hello Neil,

Please send us the video as well as MultiCharts log files (after reproducing the issue, but before restarting MultiCharts) via Dropbox or Rapidshare service.

NW27

Postby NW27 » 11 Oct 2011

Dave,

I'm sending you an email with the video.
I don't have the logs.

Neil.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 11 Oct 2011

Hello Neil,

The issue has been confirmed and has been added to our fix list. Thank you for reporting.

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 12 Oct 2011

Created a new custom session today and somehow it applied it's self to all the workspaces/charts I had open. I only applied it to one chart.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 18 Oct 2011

Created a new custom session today and somehow it applied it's self to all the workspaces/charts I had open. I only applied it to one chart.
gpw797,

We failed to reproduce the issue on our end. If you are able to reproduce the issue, please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 1PM EST so we can connect to your machine and analyze the situation.

iso

Postby iso » 19 Oct 2011

Hi,

It looks like windows inside a workspace become misaligned over time. In the attached snapshot I had all of the chart windows aligned by going to the toolbar and selecting "Window" --> "Arrange All". The yellow arrows show how the charts moved and now there is a space. Over time they keep moving more and more.

Thanks
Attachments
11-10-19-10.24.44001.png
(213.54 KiB) Downloaded 5076 times

iso

Postby iso » 19 Oct 2011

Hi,

I am also noticing that when using the built in volume indicator, if volume bars are small they are not displayed because it seems the scaling is off somehow.

Thanks
Attachments
11-10-19-11.24.11001.png
(117.34 KiB) Downloaded 5056 times

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 Oct 2011

Hi,

I am also noticing that when using the built in volume indicator, if volume bars are small they are not displayed because it seems the scaling is off somehow.

Thanks
This is one of the quarks of MultiCharts -- you cannot set a default scaling for each indicator.

In a "normal" chart, if the lowest volume for the chart is 1000, you would expect to see zero at the bottom of the screen, with a histogram rising to 1000.

What happens in this situation is, when the indicator's scale is set to "Screen" (ie automatic), MultiCharts will fit the maximum and minimum values into the display.
Therefore if the lowest volume for the chart is 1000, you will see 1000 at the bottom of the screen. ie. a "disappeared histogram" or, as you say: scaling off somewhere.

To fix that, you have to add a PLOT1(0, "Zero") in the indicator, so that MultiCharts will know the minimum display for this indicator is zero.

iso

Postby iso » 19 Oct 2011

Thanks TJ

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 19 Oct 2011

"you cannot set a default scaling for each indicator."
You also can't set the default for "realtime history matching" OR "skip identical ticks" - The "Use as Default" button doesn't remember the settings..

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 20 Oct 2011

It looks like windows inside a workspace become misaligned over time. In the attached snapshot I had all of the chart windows aligned by going to the toolbar and selecting "Window" --> "Arrange All". The yellow arrows show how the charts moved and now there is a space. Over time they keep moving more and more.
iso,

Thank you for reporting. Will forward this to the engineers for analysis.
What happens in this situation is, when the indicator's scale is set to "Screen" (ie automatic), MultiCharts will fit the maximum and minimum values into the display.
Indeed, this is how "Screen" scaling works. You may want to use other scaling settings like Movement size or User Defined (Format Study --> Scaling).

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 20 Oct 2011

You also can't set the default for "realtime history matching" OR "skip identical ticks" - The "Use as Default" button doesn't remember the settings..
sptrader,

The issue has been confirmed and has been added to our fix list. Thank you for reporting.

TJ

Postby TJ » 20 Oct 2011

Indeed, this is how "Screen" scaling works. You may want to use other scaling settings like Movement size or User Defined (Format Study --> Scaling).
We all knew that.

The problem is, MultiCharts does not allow each indicator to save its own default scaling setting.
ie. one indicator may use screen setting, and another may use movement size setting, but MultiCharts' "Use as Default" does not remember that. This is a very simple thing to add to the program, and will increase the user experience tremendously.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 26 Oct 2011

I just encountered a situation where partial conversion of unfilled order to market did not work, here's image to prove it. I have saved log file if it is required.

Multichart Beta 7.1
Attachments
MC_P2.jpg
(358.66 KiB) Downloaded 5084 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 28 Oct 2011

I just encountered a situation where partial conversion of unfilled order to market did not work, here's image to prove it. I have saved log file if it is required.

Multichart Beta 7.1
Hello SUPER,

Please send the logs to support@multicharts.com for investigation.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 28 Oct 2011

Multichart Beta 7.1
Hello SUPER,

Please send the logs to support@multicharts.com for investigation.
Thanks Dave,
As requesed uploaded log file on Rapidshare and have e-mailed you link.
Look forward to your reply.
Regards
Super

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 28 Oct 2011

The problem is, MultiCharts does not allow each indicator to save its own default scaling setting.
ie. one indicator may use screen setting, and another may use movement size setting, but MultiCharts' "Use as Default" does not remember that. This is a very simple thing to add to the program, and will increase the user experience tremendously.
TJ,

I have forwarded your suggestion to the developers and we will see how it can be implemented.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 31 Oct 2011

SUPER,

It is normal behavior. Conversion of the unfilled part of the price order is done after the price order is cancelled. Partially filled price order is cancelled at the close if the bar if the script does not send the order with the same price on the next calculation.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 31 Oct 2011

SUPER,

It is normal behavior. Conversion of the unfilled part of the price order is done after the price order is cancelled. Partially filled price order is cancelled at the close if the bar if the script does not send the order with the same price on the next calculation.
Dave,

Please can you provide some clarification, my understanding based on this example that an order was issued to sell two contracts one contract got filled while the other did not get filled and remained in the system. Since I have chosen conversion of unfilled order to market, I would expect the unfilled order to get converted to market straight away as the event “unfilled” has already taken place.

This unfilled order remained open for 4 bars and got filled as the price moved through it. The conversion did not take place at all, the log file I sent you may not show this because it was created before the second event....wish I had made another log file to show this too.

Regards
Super

iso

Postby iso » 01 Nov 2011

There seems to be a problem with the "Y - Price Scale" I have the settings to display the scale on the right side and to be "Automatic" but it seems the scale will remember the widest value it has seen and hold on to it even when displaying narrower characters. See attached...
Attachments
11-01-11 08.40.55001.png
(104.7 KiB) Downloaded 5064 times

iso

Postby iso » 01 Nov 2011

For some reason MC is stating the wrong "Average Price" for all of my open positions. It is taking yesterdays closing value and setting my average price to that. Any ideas why?

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 01 Nov 2011

Please can you provide some clarification, my understanding based on this example that an order was issued to sell two contracts one contract got filled while the other did not get filled and remained in the system. Since I have chosen conversion of unfilled order to market, I would expect the unfilled order to get converted to market straight away as the event “unfilled” has already taken place.
Super,

As I wrote in the previous post, conversion of the unfilled part of the price order is done after this price order is cancelled. Partially filled price order is cancelled at the close if the bar if the script does not send the order with the same price on the next calculation. This is important, if your script generates the same order on the next bar (the condition is still valid), the initial price order won't be cancelled but modified and there will be no conversion to market order. This is how the conversion mechanism works.
This unfilled order remained open for 4 bars and got filled as the price moved through it. The conversion did not take place at all, the log file I sent you may not show this because it was created before the second event....wish I had made another log file to show this too.
Unfortunately, we cannot say what exactly has happened without the logs. However, what I think might have happened is the following: your script was sending order with the same price every bar and as the price order was not cancelled but modified, no conversion took place. In this case you may want to re-write you code so it does not send orders with same price every bar, once the order is partially filled (monitor market position).

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 01 Nov 2011

There seems to be a problem with the "Y - Price Scale" I have the settings to display the scale on the right side and to be "Automatic" but it seems the scale will remember the widest value it has seen and hold on to it even when displaying narrower characters. See attached...
iso,

This is normal behavior. In "Automatic" mode MC adjusts the scale width only if there is not enough space to display the price. However, if there is already enough space, no action is taken. If you want this behavior to be changed, please submit a feature request to the Project Management section of our site.
For some reason MC is stating the wrong "Average Price" for all of my open positions. It is taking yesterdays closing value and setting my average price to that. Any ideas why?
Are you reffering to Average Price column in Order and Position Tracker --> Open Positions (Strategy Positions)? Also, please tell me what is your broker.

iso

Postby iso » 01 Nov 2011

In "Open Positions". I'm not sure if it would do the same thing under "Strategy Positions" because each night all my strategies get unsynced so the only place I see them is under Open Positions. Also under "Accounts" the "Open P/L" is incorrect. It looks like it is just summing up the wrong values from open positions.

This is happening when using MBTrading. It looks like you are pulling the incorrect field from MB. It looks like you are pulling "Today Avg Price" instead of "Basis Avg Price".

Thanks

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 02 Nov 2011

iso,

Please attach the screenshots of MC and MBT software showing the fields that you compare (indicate them on the pictures).

Return to “MultiCharts”