Does the data gets saved? Does MC uses the cache?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.

Does the data gets saved? Does MC uses the cache?

Postby Guest » 10 Nov 2011

Hi, I am using MC DT with IQFeed and my impression is that it fetches historical data every time I switch from one symbol to the other and then back ... I am drawing the conclusion based on the time it takes to load, it's a bit faster than the very first time I add the symbol but still slow...

Should I be enabling something? thanks in advance.

Re: Does the data gets saved? Does MC uses the cache?

Postby Guest » 11 Nov 2011

If I had to provide on single comment to the Multicharts leadership it would be:

Discussion forum support is becoming the #1 marketing tool for software companies, it is likely the #2 decision maker for customers, NT gets it it, AB gets it and MC should too.

This is my second post on this forum, it feels you are in a vacuum, people read your posts but nobody will respond ... other than TJ, thank you TJ !

Lastly, this confirmation image is a nightmare, I get it wrong all the time, I suspect other people do to.

TJ

Postby TJ » 11 Nov 2011

Hi, I am using MC DT with IQFeed and my impression is that it fetches historical data every time I switch from one symbol to the other and then back ... I am drawing the conclusion based on the time it takes to load, it's a bit faster than the very first time I add the symbol but still slow...

Should I be enabling something? thanks in advance.
Thanks for the compliment.

When you call up a chart for the first time,
MultiCharts will automatically save the quotes into a database in your computer.

When you retrieve the same symbol again, MultiCharts will first go to the database to fetch the old chart, then go to your dataprovider to fetch any "missing data" to make up a current chart.

The time it takes to load a chart depends on:

1. the number of bars

2. how much additional data is needed to download from your dataprovider

3. the speed of your dataprovider and your internet

I hope the above help.

Postby Guest » 11 Nov 2011

TJ, thanks again for your dedication here.

I understand some of the limitations you mentioned, I am trying to compare MC (DT) chart loading speed against other softwares, specifically AB and MD which I own.

I have the same number of charts and the same instruments and using the same data feed (IQFeed) real-time.

I have for example a 15-mins chart (10 days of history) and when I type a symbol it reloads the chart ( I see the ' Backfilling" at the top ), I then switch to another symbol same thing, what's puzzling is that when I switch back to the first symbol it still says 'Backfilling' and takes pretty much the same amount of time it's take the first time which leads me to think that data is not being cached ... however, when I go to the data storage I see that the data is in fact saved for that symbol ...

Doing the same procedure in other softwares takes 1/2 of the time and I get a clear impression that the data is being pulled from the database not from the data provider...

Not trying to diminish MC, I like the software and want to use it but this is bugging me a bit.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 15 Nov 2011

Please make sure you are running the latest version of MCDT 7.2
If the data was loaded before-MultiCharts will restore the data from cache.
The time of restoring the chart may vary due to:
-amount of workspaces/charts opened
-amount of bars in MC
-PC hardware
-PC resources usage

You can run a simple test to check the time MC needs to restore the data from cache.
Plot a chart, change the symbol name. Disconnect the Internet connection. Plot a chart on the first symbol.
It should take less time than requesting the data from the data feed server.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Nov 2011

If I had to provide on single comment to the Multicharts leadership it would be:

Discussion forum support is becoming the #1 marketing tool for software companies, it is likely the #2 decision maker for customers, NT gets it it, AB gets it and MC should too.

This is my second post on this forum, it feels you are in a vacuum, people read your posts but nobody will respond ... other than TJ, thank you TJ !

Lastly, this confirmation image is a nightmare, I get it wrong all the time, I suspect other people do to.
The other support forums are active because they do not offer Live Chat or phone support, which we do. Live technical support via phone and Live Chat, where you can get practical advice and the exact solution for your urgent issues, are the market standards nowadays. It should be recognized that a forum is a delayed-response discussion place for non-urgent questions – you should use other available options if you need an answer quickly.

In our discussion forums, premium users receive answers during the day or the next day. We never forget about MCDT users who also receive prompt responses shortly. The amount of messages posted by our moderators demonstrates that we are following each issue until the final solution is delivered to the end user. We take each individual issue personally, and we are proud to say that there is no other trading software development company that provides such high-quality support.

Return to “MultiCharts”