Ascii Mapping - automatically update charts

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bauhinia

Ascii Mapping - automatically update charts

Postby bauhinia » 01 Dec 2011

Hi All,

I have mapped some ASCII files in the Quote Manager and have been testing them to check when the file is changed if they update on the charts automatically. They are not doing this.

If I reload all data in the chart it updates but it then stops the autotrading.

Could you please let me know what I should be doing so that when the ASCII files are updated (daily update from CSI) they will automatically update the charts when in Autotrading mode.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Ascii Mapping - automatically update charts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 01 Dec 2011

Hello Andrew,

Here are some of details reqired for correct ASCII mapping (real-tim updating):
1. Supported resolutions are: 1 tick, 1 day, 1 (or more) minute, 1 contract. N ticks as well as N contracts are not supproted. Weekly or higher resolutions are not supported.
2. MC considers a file to be updating when new lines are added after the last existing line of the file. It converts the lines to plot on chart.
3. In real-time mode ASCII mapping can't work with more than 60 folders with data files.
4. Files of 4 gb and bigger size cannot be converted.

Could you check and tell if all the conditions for proper work of real-time ASCII mapping are met?

bauhinia

Postby bauhinia » 02 Dec 2011

Hi Andrew,

All of these things you have listed have been met.

Do you want to connect remotely to look at things?

Cheers

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 02 Dec 2011

Would you be able to come to our live chat on monday, so i could connect to your computer remotely and investigate the issue? We start at 6.30 am eastern time. please, come before 12 pm.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 05 Dec 2011

I believe that Katrin has explained everything to you in Live Chat. It works fine, new lines are added in the file.

bauhinia

Postby bauhinia » 05 Dec 2011

Hi Andrew,

Katrin solved the issue.

Just for everyone else out there, you need to have the instrument set to Real Time data and the data must be updated after the close of the instrument session.

Also note when you change the existing line in the ASCII it means that you are changing a historical data and it will not update in the chart unless you reload the data, which will stop your autotrading from working.

Thanks
Andrew

FutureTrader

Postby FutureTrader » 24 Apr 2015

Hi Andrew,

Katrin solved the issue.

Just for everyone else out there, you need to have the instrument set to Real Time data and the data must be updated after the close of the instrument session.

Also note when you change the existing line in the ASCII it means that you are changing a historical data and it will not update in the chart unless you reload the data, which will stop your autotrading from working.

Thanks
Andrew
Is this still the behavior of ASCII Mapping?

I'm reading a folder with daily data files which are ascii mapped into multicharts. When I'm updating the file I'm not adding the latest line to the file I'm overwriting the complete file again so it has the latest data. Actually the chart isn't updated unless I do a reload on the chart, it's really annoying is there a better fix for this problem?

novaleaf

Postby novaleaf » 24 Apr 2015

you can see my analysis of the situation, from a couple weeks ago: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=48344

using multicharts.net 9.x

Return to “MultiCharts”