How to get data from yahoo or google?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tozwp

How to get data from yahoo or google?

Postby tozwp » 28 Jan 2012

Tried using the QuoteManager to add a symbol from Free Quotes but always get a chart with the message "No Data". Tried this route first: "Instrument - Add Symbol - From Data Source" but the Free Quotes does not show up on that list. Tried adding it manually: "Instrument - Add Symbol - Manually". Data Source was set to "Free Quotes", symbol = MSFT, category "Stocks", Exchange "UNDEF". Then tried to create a chart using "Free Quotes" from the Data Source and the symbol MSFT that is there. Resolution was set to 1 day and everything else was left alone. I get the message "No Data". This must be something simple I am missing somewhere?

TJ

Re: How to get data from yahoo or google?

Postby TJ » 28 Jan 2012

Tried using the QuoteManager to add a symbol from Free Quotes but always get a chart with the message "No Data". Tried this route first: "Instrument - Add Symbol - From Data Source" but the Free Quotes does not show up on that list. Tried adding it manually: "Instrument - Add Symbol - Manually". Data Source was set to "Free Quotes", symbol = MSFT, category "Stocks", Exchange "UNDEF". Then tried to create a chart using "Free Quotes" from the Data Source and the symbol MSFT that is there. Resolution was set to 1 day and everything else was left alone. I get the message "No Data". This must be something simple I am missing somewhere?
you don't need to add instrument in QM.

1. go to View > Toolbars >

2. select Command line

3. a command line box will be added to your tool bar

4. in the command line box, type the symbol you want

5. your chart will be created with data from Free Quotes

(make sure your data source is set to Free Quotes

tozwp

Postby tozwp » 29 Jan 2012

Thanks TJ. Still doesn't work on my end. I must have something setup wrong somewhere. I do have a command line on my toolbar and I tried just typing in a symbol but still get the message 'No data'. Right click on the chart, select 'Format Instrument' and I see the data source is 'Free Quotes'. I have an internet connection and I can see any quote I want on Yahoo or Google. This should be really simple I'm sure. I've been using quotes from my broker (IB) but wanted to try free quotes for some other stocks. I just can't seem to figure this one out.

tozwp

Should also mention that in the QuotesManager, Tools, Data Sources it shows that Free Quotes is Active and green. If there is something I should be doing differently, I can't find it anywhere.

TJ

Postby TJ » 29 Jan 2012

Should also mention that in the QuotesManager, Tools, Data Sources it shows that Free Quotes is Active and green. If there is something I should be doing differently, I can't find it anywhere.
Please check

FILE > Preferences... > Data Server Mode > Online

tozwp

Checked and 'Data Server Mode' is Online.

Just found it though - thanks for the suggestion - the checkbox for 'Download historical data' was not checked'. I deleted all open charts, checked that box and now I have a chart with data. Thanks!

TJ

Postby TJ » 29 Jan 2012

Checked and 'Data Server Mode' is Online.

Just found it though - thanks for the suggestion - the checkbox for 'Download historical data' was not checked'. I deleted all open charts, checked that box and now I have a chart with data. Thanks!
Thanks for the update... Good to know it is working.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 30 Jan 2012

If you want to add free quotes through the quotemanager, select ADD Symbol "manually", "free quotes", comes up as default data source.

Return to “MultiCharts”