More than 50 live-charts with IB  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Henrik

More than 50 live-charts with IB

Postby Henrik » 05 Feb 2012

Hello!
MC 7.4 and IB with >100 free quote-tickers.

Now I want to set up exact 100 different charts (with an EA).
But after set up and enable the 50th chart, the QM says:
TWS error message: Id= XX; code= 101; description= Max number of tickers has been reached

Why? I have 100 quotes over IB (TWS or gateway)!!!

Does MC need 2 tickers for one chart??? (1 ticker for data, 1 ticker for orders???).

TJ

Re: More than 50 live-charts with IB

Postby TJ » 05 Feb 2012

Hello!
MC 7.4 and IB with >100 free quote-tickers.

Now I want to set up exact 100 different charts (with an EA).
But after set up and enable the 50th chart, the QM says:
TWS error message: Id= XX; code= 101; description= Max number of tickers has been reached

Why? I have 100 quotes over IB (TWS or gateway)!!!

Does MC need 2 tickers for one chart??? (1 ticker for data, 1 ticker for orders???).
each line in the TWS also counts as one quote.

Henrik

...I use the gateway... (no lines, no tickers ^^)

TJ

Postby TJ » 05 Feb 2012

I remember reading an explanation somewhere... either here or in another forum. I am having a seniors moment right now, I will try to think about where, or how, was the explanation, and post if I find something.

one note: if you have opened a chart and subsequently closed it, QM will continue to collect data even though the chart is closed.

Henrik

Thank you.
I know that MC does not release tickers after closing a chart.

#######

- Restart PC
- Start Gateway
- Start MC with 10 workspaces a 10 charts. OK!
- Enable Charts for autotrading. NOT OK. Now "max tickers reached..."

Now I have a "booster pack" for $ 30. +100 Tickers. In summery >200 Tickers over IB.

And....it's the same error!! That can't be true!

I only want to trade, but 75 % of my time I spend for bugs :-(
Attachments
IBMC.PNG
(690.97 KiB) Downloaded 1684 times

Henrik

Postby Henrik » 06 Feb 2012

So, now I have checked the ticker-problem.

MC needs for 1 active strategy 2 tickers. 1 for the chart, and 1 for orders.

NT needs for 1 active strategy 1 ticker. Why not MC?

Using MC via TWS I can't enable more than 50 strategys (but TWS give me 100 tickers...).

MC-Team, please correct this in the next version!
And at the same time please fix the bug, which close a chart the ticker doeas not be free.
Thank you.

siscop

Postby siscop » 06 Feb 2012

This is also a big issue for me. It would be nice if this could be solved anytime soon. I also can only start 50 Charts until coming up to the ticker problem on a fresh started MC.

The other thing Henrik pointed out was the release of tickers after the chart is closed.
Unfortunately it is not possible to release the tickets when symbols are not actively open anymore, as the calculation is done on the IB TWS side. We are not able to cancel these requests.
Thank you Dave & Henry for your help and information on that issue.
I was just wondering why the release of the tickers is so complicated. You wrote that this release thing is something from IB and not MC. Then I was wondering why a restart of MC would be the solution since it would release the tickers then. IMHO it sounds like it would be possible to solve that issue on MC side or else a restart of MC wouldn’t help as well.
Source: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8974
You never really answered to my comment.

Henrik

Postby Henrik » 08 Feb 2012

It's curious.

I have 200 free Tickers at IB. 200!
And after set live 50 charts in MC the QM shows "max numbers of tickers reached".

?????????????????

I have no other charts, no scanner online, ...

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Feb 2012

It's curious.

I have 200 free Tickers at IB. 200!
And after set live 50 charts in MC the QM shows "max numbers of tickers reached".

?????????????????

I have no other charts, no scanner online, ...
Hello Henrik,

Please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 11 am EST to investigate this issue with the engineer in charge.
We will do our best to help you.

Henrik

Postby Henrik » 09 Feb 2012

Thank you Henry,
but it's on my Server - there is only 1 teamviewer connection (for my PC).

News:

IB Paper: only 100 tickers => 50 live charts
IB live: 100 tickers => 50 live charts
IB live: 200 tickers => 100 live charts.

It seems that an live chart needs 2 tickers :-(

Henry MultiСharts

Re: More than 50 live-charts with IB  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 11 Feb 2012

Hello Henrik,

When you plot a chart and turn on auto trading in MultiCharts– it occupies only one ticker in IB TWS. TWS calculates the tickers for all connected applications; please make sure that only MultiCharts is using TWS or you are using the same symbols from MultiCharts and the other application.

If you are running charts/scanner with tick bars (seconds or N-tick), then the realtime request will be active until MultiCharts close. This caching feature helps to start a new chart for the symbol faster.

If you are running minute and daily charts then you can release the tickers of closed charts/scanner symbols by disabling the option “Utilization of cache for real-time price data” in Quote Manager->Tools->Data sources->IB-> Settings. To make this setting come into effect you need to restart MultiCharts and all of its applications.

The opposite side of changing this setting is a slight slowdown in receiving historical data, which will be requested from TWS (there is a limited amount of requests for 10 minutes).

Please make sure that the option “Utilization of cache for real-time price data” is disabled in the data feed settings, the symbols are added correctly from the data source, symbol mapping is correct and only MultiCharts is accessing TWS tickers.

If this solution didn't help and you still have the issue-please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 11 am EST to investigate this issue with the engineer in charge. We will be able to connect to your PC and access the server from it and will do our best to help you.

siscop

Postby siscop » 11 Feb 2012

Thank you Henry for your answer,
So as far as I understood that it is possible for MC to release tickers after MC chart is closed. I just have to change a setting in QM? Well that is a total different information then what was previously mentioned. If that would work then my second point would be solved.
EDIT: I have just tested the release of the ticker with your modification and it works. So second point is really solved. Thank you. The first point is still open.

Regarding the first point of MC occupying 2 tickers when live trading… I also had that experience that a chart occupies a ticker and addition to that when activating it occupies a second one.
Just to make sure of this I reproduced this issue again.
I opened a paperaccount of IB to have a clean TWS without open position of any kind.
Then I opened MC and 9 workspaces with 10 charts each and no active strategies-> no ticker limit
I activated 10 strategies in the already opened charts (1 each)-> no ticker limit
Then I activated another 2 strategies and the ticker limit came.
So I have to come to the conclusion that having a chart open is one ticker and activating a strategy is another ticker.
It would be my pleasure to show you this on Monday afternoon (german time) on your live support if needed.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 15 Feb 2012

Hello Siscop,

Please come to our live chat 6.30 am EST - 10 am EST to investigate the issue on your end.

siscop

Postby siscop » 16 Feb 2012

The ticker bug is solved on MC8 64 beta

Special thank you to Henry for doing a great job.

Return to “MultiCharts”