MultiCharts .NET Release

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
admin

MultiCharts .NET Release

Postby admin » 31 Jul 2012

We are excited to announce a release of a new product – MultiCharts .NET.

MultiCharts .NET combines best features of MultiCharts with robust potential of the .NET framework. Engineered specifically for programmers, users can create strategies and indicators in C# and VB.NET.

tekram

Re: MultiCharts .NET Release

Postby tekram » 31 Jul 2012

Market_Depth_on_Chart indicator not working on TS feed?
MC.net may have crashed upon conflict with IB TWS workstation socket port API setting.

Looks interesting. Thank you.

riverTrader

Congratulations

Postby riverTrader » 31 Jul 2012

FANTASTIC!!

For those of us who are professional programmers, mc.net is a dream come true. After years of EL, then RightEdge, QuantLab, QuantShare, ModulusFx, and on, I think you guys have finally hit it. Keep on improving it (we'll help).

RiverTrader

Ulich05

Postby Ulich05 » 31 Jul 2012

will the easy language version eventually be phased out?

tarasb22

Postby tarasb22 » 01 Aug 2012

Good news.
Are there any differences between the two versions other than scripting language? Is it compatible with quik plugin?

Thanks.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 01 Aug 2012

will the easy language version eventually be phased out?
No, we are going to continously offer the two different versions.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 01 Aug 2012

Good news.
Are there any differences between the two versions other than scripting language? Is it compatible with quik plugin?

Thanks.
The only difference is the scripting language, and all data and brokers are the same.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 01 Aug 2012

Market_Depth_on_Chart indicator not working on TS feed?
MC.net may have crashed upon conflict with IB TWS workstation socket port API setting.

Looks interesting. Thank you.
Hello tekram,

Market Depth data can be obtained only for the data feeds that are also supported as brokers in MultiCharts and provide DOM data through the API.

What do you mean by MC.net may have crashed? Please describe the issue in details.

tekram

Postby tekram » 01 Aug 2012

What do you mean by MC.net may have crashed? Please describe the issue in details.
It was probably due to opening a DOM with an unsupported broker as you described with TS data.
Attachments
MCDotnet_2012-07-31_153507.gif
(9.01 KiB) Downloaded 5615 times

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 01 Aug 2012

Can the PowerLanguage Editor Error list be forced to be printed in English - perhaps with changing a registry setting? Now the error message are displayed in my regionale, which makes it harder to Google for it.

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 01 Aug 2012

Hello,

Is there any possibility for existing MC lifetime license holders to convert to MC.NET?

Thank you

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 01 Aug 2012

Hello,

Is there any possibility for existing MC lifetime license holders to convert to MC.NET?

Thank you
From an email that was sent to me---
"SPECIAL OFFER: Any MultiCharts client that holds a lifetime license of MultiCharts may purchase a lifetime license of MultiCharts .NET at a special price of $497. This is a limited time offer that expires on September 1st, 2012. "

You can't "Switch" to .net for free, if that's what you meant..

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 01 Aug 2012

Hello,

Thank you
From an email that was sent to me---
"SPECIAL OFFER: Any MultiCharts client that holds a lifetime license of MultiCharts may purchase a lifetime license of MultiCharts .NET at a special price of $497. This is a limited time offer that expires on September 1st, 2012. "

You can't "Switch" to .net for free, if that's what you meant..
Hi,

Yes, that`s what I meant actually, but I wouldn`t call it "for free" because I paid for lifetime license (MC) and basicly shouldn`t be any big difference for MC Team which of those two products you use. Btw, MC price is $1500 compare with $1000 MC.Net at the moment. So, they would even get a difference after switching client from more expensive version to cheaper one. I wouldn`t mind to pay for the new .NET version , but automaticaly old MC version becomes wasted and to keep $1500 worth software on the shelf without work is too costly.

t-rader

Postby t-rader » 02 Aug 2012

Yes, that`s what I meant actually, but I wouldn`t call it "for free" because I paid for lifetime license (MC) and basicly shouldn`t be any big difference for MC Team which of those two products you use. Btw, MC price is $1500 compare with $1000 MC.Net at the moment. So, they would even get a difference after switching client from more expensive version to cheaper one. I wouldn`t mind to pay for the new .NET version , but automaticaly old MC version becomes wasted and to keep $1500 worth software on the shelf without work is too costly.
I'm curious as to why the .net version is cheaper?

At present I'm happy with EL/PL but maybe in the future I'll have a need for C#/VB at which stage I'll have to pay $1000...

Dave Masalov

Re: Congratulations

Postby Dave Masalov » 02 Aug 2012

FANTASTIC!!

For those of us who are professional programmers, mc.net is a dream come true. After years of EL, then RightEdge, QuantLab, QuantShare, ModulusFx, and on, I think you guys have finally hit it. Keep on improving it (we'll help).

RiverTrader
RiverTrader,

Thank you for your kind words. Glad to hear that you enjoy our new product.

Emmanuel

Postby Emmanuel » 02 Aug 2012

Hi WONDERFUL !!!!!!

A dream come true !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATION !!!!!!

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 02 Aug 2012

Would it be possible to make a table with two columns, with the PowerLanguage word on the left and the MC .NET equivalent on the right?

Such a simple thing would make it quite easier to transfer to MC .NET. For example, searching for 'symbol' in the PowerLanguage.NET help file, in an attempt to find 'symbolname', turns up 90 results.

Edit: The MC .NET equivalent of the PowerLanguage 'symbolname' is

Code: Select all

Bars.Info.ASymbolInfo2.SymbolName
or
Bars.Info.Name

alex522

Postby alex522 » 02 Aug 2012

Long-awaited killer trading platform: Stability of MC + Flexibility of .NET = MC.NET !!!

Great work. :)

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 03 Aug 2012

It was probably due to opening a DOM with an unsupported broker as you described with TS data.
tekram,

We failed to reproduce the issue on our end. If you are able to reproduce the issue, please send us MultiCharts logs and dump of MultiCharts.exe process collected after reproducing the issue but before restarting MultiCharts. See instructions here:

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... harts_Logs

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... lect_Dumps

come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 4 PM EST so we can collect all the information: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 03 Aug 2012

Can the PowerLanguage Editor Error list be forced to be printed in English - perhaps with changing a registry setting? Now the error message are displayed in my regionale, which makes it harder to Google for it.
Hello JoshM,

You should install English version of .net framework 3.5:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/cc378097

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 04 Aug 2012

Hi,

1. Can we have installed regular MC and both versions of MC.NET on the same machine?
2. Can we use MC and one of the MC.NET versions on the same PC at the same time?

Also here is one problem. I`ve got .NET Framework 4 which comes with visual studio 2010 installed on my PC and for some reason it doesnt let me to install 3.5 version(downloaded from microsoft). Is it important to use MC.net with .net framework 3.5?

Thank you

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 05 Aug 2012

I've encountered a somewhat annoying/unproductive behaviour -- can someone tell me if I'm doing it wrong or if this is a limitation?

- Make a strategy that uses a function,
- Call the method in that function in the strategy - everything works fine,
- Make an obvious change in the method of that function (for example, Output.WriteLine("hello!")),
- Save the function in Visual Studio (Ctrl - S),
- The strategy (that calls that function) isn't reloaded and I need to go to Format Signals -> Remove signal -> Press Ok. Then press F7, re-add the signal, re-input the signal settings, apply it to the chart, and now the signal is calculated with the made change in the function.

Toggling the Signal On/Off doesn't help.

I find it quite cumbersome to have to remove and re-add the strategy after each change in a function. Am I doing it wrong? Do other people also have experienced this behaviour? Is there a workaround?

TIKITRADER

Postby TIKITRADER » 05 Aug 2012

Hi,
edit :

Also here is one problem. I`ve got .NET Framework 4 which comes with visual studio 2010 installed on my PC and for some reason it doesnt let me to install 3.5 version(downloaded from microsoft). Is it important to use MC.net with .net framework 3.5?

Thank you

Determining Which Version of the .NET Framework Is Installed
.NET Framework 4
Other Versions

'You can install and run multiple versions of the .NET Framework on a computer. You can install the versions in any order. To see which versions are installed, view the %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework directory. (You should also view the Framework64 directory on a 64-bit computer, which can have 32 or 64-bit versions installed.) Each version of the .NET Framework has a directory, and the first two digits of the directory name identify the .NET Framework version; for example: v1.1.4322 for the .NET Framework 1.1, v2.0.50727 for the .NET Framework 2.0, v3.5 for the .NET Framework 3.5, and so on.
'

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y549e41e.aspx

---------------------------------------------------

See image attached for some of the versions on my computer listed

Attachments
versions .net.png
(3.07 KiB) Downloaded 6704 times

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 05 Aug 2012

Thanks for your help TikiTrader. I found that directory on my pc and looks like all versions of .NetFramework there from v1 to v4 inc. V3.5 .

Thank You

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 06 Aug 2012

Hello JoshM,

It is a limitation. MC.NET does not analyze the the script to know if any functions are used. There is no workaround at the moment.
I've encountered a somewhat annoying/unproductive behaviour -- can someone tell me if I'm doing it wrong or if this is a limitation?

- Make a strategy that uses a function,
- Call the method in that function in the strategy - everything works fine,
- Make an obvious change in the method of that function (for example, Output.WriteLine("hello!")),
- Save the function in Visual Studio (Ctrl - S),
- The strategy (that calls that function) isn't reloaded and I need to go to Format Signals -> Remove signal -> Press Ok. Then press F7, re-add the signal, re-input the signal settings, apply it to the chart, and now the signal is calculated with the made change in the function.

Toggling the Signal On/Off doesn't help.

I find it quite cumbersome to have to remove and re-add the strategy after each change in a function. Am I doing it wrong? Do other people also have experienced this behaviour? Is there a workaround?

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 06 Aug 2012

It is a limitation. MC.NET does not analyze the the script to know if any functions are used. There is no workaround at the moment.
Thanks for confirming it Dave. I've made a feature request for it here: But I hope it will be implemented quickly regardless of how many votes it receives, since this limitation discourages good programming practices and is something that the regular MultiCharts does better/handier.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 06 Aug 2012

1. Can we have installed regular MC and both versions of MC.NET on the same machine?
2. Can we use MC and one of the MC.NET versions on the same PC at the same time?
1. Yes. You could have 4 MC installations on one computer if you want (MC 32 & 64 and MC .NET 32 & 64)
2. Yes.

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 06 Aug 2012

I found that I can't connect MC and MC.NET to IB TWS at the same time on same PC. Only one of them at time. Is there any way to do it?

Thanks

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 06 Aug 2012

I found that I can't connect MC and MC.NET to IB TWS at the same time on same PC. Only one of them at time. Is there any way to do it?
I thought this could be done with having both different ClientIDs in the broker profile of each (i.e. MC ClientID 1, MC .NET ClientID 2).

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 06 Aug 2012

JoshM,
Correct.

DRCM,
You can setup different client Ids for the two MC programs. Leave one MC as is and go into the IB broker profile on the other MC (i.e. MC .NET). Change the ClientID to a number higher (i.e. it was 0, change it to 1). Both Mcs will now be able to work with the same TWS, but remember that a lower number means higher priority in TWS' eyes. That means that the MC with 0 will be able to see all orders from itself and any higher numbers, and MC with 1 will only be able to see orders from 1 and up (and not ones placed from ClientID of 0).

You don't need to change anything inside TWS itself. Let us know you're able to set it up, or if you are still having issues.

arnie

Postby arnie » 06 Aug 2012

I've been thinking and measuring the "pros" and the "cons" regarding the purchase of the .NET version.
The "pros" have been thoroughly debated, the advantage of using the most used program languages, access to thousands of codes that can be found over the internet, have more people able to code and possibly share more code when comparing to EL programmers...

The "cons" are for those not skillful enough to learn or start learning a new programming language. For those, not only you need to spend $500 for purchasing it but also, if you had hired someone to code your EL indicators, you would need to pay for those same indicators for a second time so they can be re-coded, this time in C#. So we might be talking about a total way above $1000 for you to have everything running in .NET.

At least at this moment, I see no advantage to move to .NET.
For all the programmers out there I'm sure this is a dream come true and I'm the first to congrats MC for this new version.

I just hope that if one day MC support decides to develop more tools for .NET but not making the same available for the "regular" version they allow users that want to move to .NET so they can take advantage of those tools a price reduction like the one being offered now.

Regards,
Fernando

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 06 Aug 2012

JoshM,
Correct.

DRCM,
You can setup different client Ids for the two MC programs. Leave one MC as is and go into the IB broker profile on the other MC (i.e. MC .NET). Change the ClientID to a number higher (i.e. it was 0, change it to 1). Both Mcs will now be able to work with the same TWS, but remember that a lower number means higher priority in TWS' eyes. That means that the MC with 0 will be able to see all orders from itself and any higher numbers, and MC with 1 will only be able to see orders from 1 and up (and not ones placed from ClientID of 0).

You don't need to change anything inside TWS itself. Let us know you're able to set it up, or if you are still having issues.
Hi,

Yes, it works now. One thing to mention, I had to restart MC after I changed ClienID. Without restart it didn`t work. Thank you

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 07 Aug 2012

I've been thinking and measuring the "pros" and the "cons" regarding the purchase of the .NET version.
The "pros" have been thoroughly debated, the advantage of using the most used program languages, access to thousands of codes that can be found over the internet, have more people able to code and possibly share more code when comparing to EL programmers...

The "cons" are for those not skillful enough to learn or start learning a new programming language. For those, not only you need to spend $500 for purchasing it but also, if you had hired someone to code your EL indicators, you would need to pay for those same indicators for a second time so they can be re-coded, this time in C#. So we might be talking about a total way above $1000 for you to have everything running in .NET.

At least at this moment, I see no advantage to move to .NET.
For all the programmers out there I'm sure this is a dream come true and I'm the first to congrats MC for this new version.

I just hope that if one day MC support decides to develop more tools for .NET but not making the same available for the "regular" version they allow users that want to move to .NET so they can take advantage of those tools a price reduction like the one being offered now.

Regards,
Fernando
Fernando,

It is certainly up to you to decide. We cannot tell at the moment what our pricing and features policies will be in the future. I would recommend you to take adventage of the current offer if you feel that you may need MC.NET in the future.

bluejack

Postby bluejack » 07 Aug 2012

I want to mention that in my opinion MC.NET is way more powerful in what users can do with it once they learned the new platform. I see several scenarios which will be impossible to do in standard MultiCharts. Flexibility is the main selling point for MC.NET and will certainly be extended in future releases.

I've heard about a PL => .net converter which was used internally. If that tool gets public or builtin MC.NET will even have an EasyLanguage compatibility but I doubt MC policy will allow that to be public available.

In the end it will depend how much community builds around MC.NET. If we attract more and more frustrated NT users we will see more user contributions and NT script conversions. I definitely see a potential for that.

fm2000

Postby fm2000 » 07 Aug 2012

is it possible to use indicators and strategies compiled in EL as well as .Net in same platform? Also is it possible to call function of one from another language?

bluejack

Postby bluejack » 07 Aug 2012

is it possible to use indicators and strategies compiled in EL as well as .Net in same platform? Also is it possible to call function of one from another language?
No thats not possible. The EL engine is not included in MC.NET. Thats why studies and strategies have to be rewritten into .NET code.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 08 Aug 2012

This is probably no issue, but just checking so that I don't install 'incompatible' versions:
Can a .pln file exported with a 32bit version be imported & compiled in the 64bit version, and vice versa?

Speaking of importing/exporting:
Is there a way to let the MC .NET editor pick up a new .cs file (or changes in a file) without having to import it, so that the compile can be executed and the solution file is updating?

I tried so by making a new indicator, placing this in the StudyServer\Techniques\CS folder, and pressing Compile in the .NET editor, but this new indicator was (logically) not detected.

I'm looking for a way to easily update code on computer 1 that is written on computer 2 (an one-way relation). Would it be worth to explore/learn Git/github/etc for this goal, or can such a thing just not be done due to the structure of how the MC .NET editor operates?

bluejack

Postby bluejack » 08 Aug 2012

This is probably no issue, but just checking so that I don't install 'incompatible' versions:
Can a .pln file exported with a 32bit version be imported & compiled in the 64bit version, and vice versa?
Yes because its only source code with some meta information.
Is there a way to let the MC .NET editor pick up a new .cs file (or changes in a file) without having to import it, so that the compile can be executed and the solution file is updating?
Changes will be detected without reimport but new indicators/functions have to be registered in some way in the StudyServer. Thats normally done by importing a study or creating it from inside the PL editor.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 11 Aug 2012

Thanks BlueJack!

Does someone know if there's a SetMaxBarsBack attribute or property? (I couldn't find it in the help/IntelliSense, but perhaps it's named differently in the MC .NET version)

Also, is there a attribute for the number of decimals of an indicator? (For the Format Indicator --> Scaling tab --> No. of digits after decimal setting) It's not in the help, so probably not there, but such a option would be nice enough to explicitly ask for.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 12 Aug 2012

Hello,

I'm just doing a trail and finding the API difficult. Is the documentation heavily incomplete? I can't find any information about the PowerLanguage.Functions.* . I'm not new to programming or to charting software, but I am new to MC so go easy on me :)

With kind regards,
MK

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 14 Aug 2012

Does someone know if there's a SetMaxBarsBack attribute or property? (I couldn't find it in the help/IntelliSense, but perhaps it's named differently in the MC .NET version)
Please search for the MaxBarsBack property in the Help file.
Also, is there a attribute for the number of decimals of an indicator? (For the Format Indicator --> Scaling tab --> No. of digits after decimal setting) It's not in the help, so probably not there, but such a option would be nice enough to explicitly ask for.
There is no such feature at the moment. You may want to submit a feature request to the Project Management section of our site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 14 Aug 2012

Hello,

I'm just doing a trail and finding the API difficult. Is the documentation heavily incomplete? I can't find any information about the PowerLanguage.Functions.* . I'm not new to programming or to charting software, but I am new to MC so go easy on me :)

With kind regards,
MK
MidKnight,

Functions are not documented yet. We plan to provide the source code and description of the functions in the next version.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 20 Aug 2012

Can the 'Generated' and 'Filled\Canceled' field from the OPT -> Orders tab be retrieved?

The Order Properties in the help file doesn't list these under Public Instance Properties, while all other OPT columns do have a property.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 23 Aug 2012

Can the 'Generated' and 'Filled\Canceled' field from the OPT -> Orders tab be retrieved?

The Order Properties in the help file doesn't list these under Public Instance Properties, while all other OPT columns do have a property.
Hello JoshM,

It is not possible at the moment. Your suggestion has been forwarded to the developers and will be considered for future implementation.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 24 Aug 2012

It is not possible at the moment. Your suggestion has been forwarded to the developers and will be considered for future implementation.
That would be great. If I may add to that suggestion, it would be very valuable if we could retrieve the millisecond timestamp from it (i.e. no rounding of to the nearest second as currently is done in the columns).

--
Is the Logs tab of the OPT currently already available? I couldn't find it in the help file, but it would be valuable for risk management if this also can be accessed.

Traderji

Postby Traderji » 26 Aug 2012

How do I access the 'Show Historical Orders' property of Chart Trader? I want to create a button on the toolbar which will allow the user to hide/show historical trades.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 Aug 2012

How do I access the 'Show Historical Orders' property of Chart Trader? I want to create a button on the toolbar which will allow the user to hide/show historical trades.
Hello Traderji,

That is not currently possible to access this option from the code.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 30 Aug 2012

Is the Logs tab of the OPT currently already available? I couldn't find it in the help file, but it would be valuable for risk management if this also can be accessed.
JoshM,

Currently this info is not available. Your suggestion has been forwarded to the developers. Please also submit a feature request to the Project Management section of our site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 30 Aug 2012

Currently this info is not available. Your suggestion has been forwarded to the developers. Please also submit a feature request to the Project Management section of our site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/
Thanks for forwarding it already. The accompanying feature request is here:

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 30 Aug 2012

Unless I misread the documentation, the following feature request will be very valuable:
  • MC-1109 - Add a Connection event to IDataSource

Currently, the IDataSource events have no event to monitor for a disconnection of the data feed. Though the ITradingProfile does provide a Connection event, most brokers use a seperate order server and data server, meaning that a loss to the data server can't be monitored.

Plus, since the broker and data feed doesn't need to be the same provider (like with the use of IQFeed), an event for the connection of the data source would be even more valuable.

For risk management it would be very valuable if the automated strategy can be notified that the data feed has stopped updating (while the broker connection is still active). That way, the automated strategy can take precautions so that, when the data feed connection is restored, the strategy won't "go crazy" triggering needless orders because of the data gap that has happened. Also the trader can then be notified through an alert, and switch to his or her back-up data feed if needed.
Please add your vote to it if you also think this would be a worthwhile feature to have in MC .NET. :)

Thanks!

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”