MC .Net performance

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
Xyzzy

MC .Net performance

Postby Xyzzy » 03 Aug 2012

Out of curiosity, has anyone performed any benchmark tests that compare regular MultiCharts to MC .Net, such as backtesting time? If I understand correctly, the EasyLanguage code is compiled down to C++. I'm curious if there's a significant performance difference either way between the EasyLanguage code and the .Net equivalent.

Dave Masalov

Re: MC .Net performance

Postby Dave Masalov » 08 Aug 2012

Out of curiosity, has anyone performed any benchmark tests that compare regular MultiCharts to MC .Net, such as backtesting time? If I understand correctly, the EasyLanguage code is compiled down to C++. I'm curious if there's a significant performance difference either way between the EasyLanguage code and the .Net equivalent.
We have not done any benchmark tests yet, but overall MC.NET performance should be comfortable.

bluejack

Postby bluejack » 08 Aug 2012

@Dave:
Is EasyLanguage/PowerLanguage code running in a VM? Is it compiled to byte code or machine code?

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 08 Aug 2012

@Dave:
Is EasyLanguage/PowerLanguage code running in a VM? Is it compiled to byte code or machine code?
bluejack,

Please be more precise. Do you mean Virtual Machine by VM? PL code is compiled to a dll.

bluejack

Postby bluejack » 08 Aug 2012

Please be more precise. Do you mean Virtual Machine by VM? PL code is compiled to a dll.
Yes I meant a Virtual Machine. I just wondered how PowerLanguage of the standard MultiCharts edition is compiled. So did I understand right, you create a dll consisting of x86 machine code when compiling PowerLanguage? Just wanted to estimate whether .NET will be faster than standard MC as .NET uses a JIT compiler which can create code thats quite fast by optimizing.

Dru

Postby Dru » 09 Aug 2012

So did I understand right, you create a dll consisting of x86 machine code when compiling PowerLanguage?
Correct.
Just wanted to estimate whether .NET will be faster than standard MC as .NET uses a JIT compiler which can create code thats quite fast by optimizing.
For simple studies MC will be faster than MC.NET.
For more complex studies MC.NET probably will be faster.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”