Custom chart type?

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
AlphaCat

Custom chart type?

Postby AlphaCat » 02 Oct 2013

Is it possible to create a custom chart-type (such as Renko or Kagi, which are already available in the Format-Instrument dropdown menu) ?

If yes, is there somewhere documentation available about this?

Regards,
Andy

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Custom chart type?

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Oct 2013

Hello Andy,

That is not possible to create a custom “user coded” chart type/data series that will appear in the chart types section.

In MultiCharts .Net that is possible to create an indicator that will display a “user coded” customized plot over a chart. As an example you can use the attached Gradient color indicator and the prebuilt indicator called _Market_Depth_on_Chart_2_.
You can use the logic inside these studies in your signal code for strategy calculation.
Attachments
CustomDrawGradientBar.pln
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 622 times

AlphaCat

Postby AlphaCat » 03 Oct 2013

Thanks for the sample code.

I would like to draw normal candlecharts, but based on the bid/ask midpoint price.

For info: i am using lmax, which does not have a last price. Apparently, last price is based on bid price for charts. In the DOM, the mid-price is used to display the last-price. In my opinion, it would make more sense to use the mid-price everywhere to stay consistent, instead of making an arbitrary choice between bid or ask.

It seems i can draw such a mid-point chart using this method from your file. But i presume, that only works for realtime data, but not for backfilled historical data?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 Oct 2013

The indicator will work on both historical and realtime data.

For LMAX data provider there is an option to build Trade data series based on Bid and Ask data (QuoteManager-Tools->Data Sources->LMAX->Settings). You need to restart all MultiCharts processes to make the option come into effect.

Laurentius

Postby Laurentius » 14 May 2014

Hello Andy,

That is not possible to create a custom “user coded” chart type/data series that will appear in the chart types section.

In MultiCharts .Net that is possible to create an indicator that will display a “user coded” customized plot over a chart. As an example you can use the attached Gradient color indicator and the prebuilt indicator called _Market_Depth_on_Chart_2_.
You can use the logic inside these studies in your signal code for strategy calculation.
Thanks a lot for posting the CustomDrawGradientBar Henry!

I have wished for something like this for a long time. I have changed the colors to black only and adjusted the weighting and I now have it on a chart.

There are three things I noticed though.
---------------------------------------------------
- 1st is that current bar is flickering when price is updating where it also affects the half of last closed bar.

- 2nd is when using the scroll bar scrolling the chart back and forth the whole custom draw bars chart are flickering.

- 3rd is that custom draw bars are hovering one or two pixels higher than the actual bars.
---------------------------------------------------

Is it possible to do something about these issues in the code? Or is this weaknesses in MC .NET when it comes to handling of custom drawings?

To me the custom draw bars makes a significant difference, because with this indicator I can have technical drawings behind the instrument. Ex. I can use heavier weighting with my horizontal lines without them interfering in front of the instrument as they do with MC's default bars/candles. Second, I can always have the hidden actual instrument completely in the back and still have indicators attached to the actual instrument appearing behind the custom draw bars. With this default drawing lines will always be using the actual instrument as base data, and not any of the indicators.

I know that implementing the mentioned properties into MC .NET itself is a complex task, so I am thinking that custom draw bars or candles that worked perfectly would be a very good compromise.

Thanks,
Laurentius

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 16 May 2014

Hello Laurentius,

1. Please import the attached updated version with the fix.
2. This issue has been confirmed. The fix will become available in MultiCharts .NET 9.0 Beta1.
3. We are currently analyzing this behavior. I will let you know once I have any updates from the engineers regarding this matter.
Attachments
Test_CustomDraw_GradientBars_v1.1.pln
(1.95 KiB) Downloaded 479 times

Laurentius

Postby Laurentius » 16 May 2014

Thanks a lot for both the attached update and for the coming MC fix Henry!

I really appreciate it.

Best regards,
Laurentius

Laurentius

Postby Laurentius » 19 May 2014

Just in case. I forgot to mention that if you press Space Bar and left click dragging the chart back and forth the custom draw bars mostly disappear completely. I checked with the new version and see that it is the same as with the first, so guess it has something to do with MC itself.

Thanks,
Laurentius

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 19 May 2014

Just in case. I forgot to mention that if you press Space Bar and left click dragging the chart back and forth the custom draw bars mostly disappear completely. I checked with the new version and see that it is the same as with the first, so guess it has something to do with MC itself.
Laurentius, this behavior is the same case as #2 from your previous report.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 19 Jun 2014

- 3rd is that custom draw bars are hovering one or two pixels higher than the actual bars.
3. We are currently analyzing this behavior. I will let you know once I have any updates from the engineers regarding this matter.
Laurentius, unfortunately that is not technically possible to completely resolve such behavior. This is a peculiarity of .Net and С++ plotting. Attached version of the study should slightly improve it though.
Attachments
Test_CustomDraw_GradientBars_v1.2.pln
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 517 times

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”