Market data freeze

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
tradetree

Market data freeze

Postby tradetree » 30 Jan 2014

This morning I experienced a market data freeze. The connection to Rithmic 01 was valid and green. I even brought a new chart up and the new chart had valid data. But all my existing charts stopped updating bars mid-bar. They are 60 minute bars and the bar ending 10:30am (that starts at 9:30am) just stopped updating on 4 different contracts. This is very troubling as it is really hard to know when this will hit.

I checked the logs and there was nothing special. There was a momentary market data connection broken at 8:54am, but that was due to my actions with my network connection. There is nothing in the logs at all from 9:04am to 11:52am when I noticed the problem. A restart of MC fixed it, but how am I supposed to confidently trade when I don't know when this will happen?

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Market data freeze

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 31 Jan 2014

Hello tradetree,

In MultiCharts data provider and broker connections are separate. You can see the status of the broker connection on the Trade Bar in MultiCharts.
Order and position tracker Logs tab shows the information on the trading events and messages received from broker.

As for the data connection - you can trace the connection status in QuoteManager Event Log. There is no visual indication of the datafeed status similar to broker connection.

As you have already restarted MultiCharts - the logs from the previous run are erased and there is nothing that can be studied to trace the reason of this behavior.
If it happens again please do the following:
0) Do not close MultiCharts;
1) Send us MultiCharts logs. In MultiCharts go to Help->Feedback->Send logs.
If you want to collect the logs manually please follow this guide: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... harts_Logs
2) Specify the time when the data stopped updating;
3) Create a full sized screenshot of your screen so that we can see the time of the last bar on the chart and system time;
4) Send us the requested information to support@multicharts.com

You can also come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST to demonstrate the issue remotely and we will collect all required for analysis information.

tradetree

Postby tradetree » 31 Jan 2014

Thanks for the tips. I also came across a study that will tell you when your market data feed has stopped. I don't know where I saw that, as I checked the user submitted area and didn't find it. I generally look at the "count down" of each bar to tell if data is live, or else have a 1 min chart where it is easier to see. But if you get distracted you really want to have something notify you of the condition.

Hello tradetree,

In MultiCharts data provider and broker connections are separate...

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 31 Jan 2014

Please see MultiCharts NET FAQ: #15

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 31 Jan 2014

(...)
As for the data connection - you can trace the connection status in QuoteManager Event Log. There is no visual indication of the datafeed status similar to broker connection.
(...)
Please see MultiCharts NET FAQ: #15
It would be great if MC .NET can add events for connecting/disconnecting of data feeds. This 'solution' in which the number of seconds are monitored since the last price update is somewhat of a band aid solution IMO, especially for instruments that are not traded actively all trading hours.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 07 Feb 2014

It would be great if MC .NET can add events for connecting/disconnecting of data feeds. This 'solution' in which the number of seconds are monitored since the last price update is somewhat of a band aid solution IMO, especially for instruments that are not traded actively all trading hours.
Thank you for your suggestion. All feature requests are forwarded to the management of the company and are evaluated in a timely manner. Please note that even though we value your opinion not all requests can be implemented due to the fact that some features do not fit into our current roadmap.

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 10 Feb 2014

the same thing happened to me on the rithmic feed.
it could not handle the heavy volume and all the charts froze up.

I used to blame it on CQG, but I now know that is not the culprit.

I had to restart everything.

It also happened during the non farm payrolls on friday.

shane

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Feb 2014

the same thing happened to me on the rithmic feed.
it could not handle the heavy volume and all the charts froze up.

I used to blame it on CQG, but I now know that is not the culprit.

I had to restart everything.

It also happened during the non farm payrolls on friday.

shane
If it happens again please send us the details requested in post#2 of this thread.

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 10 Feb 2014

Hi Henry

It was frozen, I could not gather any info without a restart

thanks
shane

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 11 Feb 2014

Hi Henry

It was frozen, I could not gather any info without a restart

thanks
shane
shane, if MultiCharts is frozen but your PC is still responsive please do the following:
1) Download and unzip MC dumper to your PC:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/279 ... Dumper.zip
2) Start the MC_Dumper gui.exe
In MC Dumper window please select the version of MultiCharts you are having problem with in “Product for Dumps selector”.
Please keep in mind that MultiCharts, MultiCharts64, MultiCharts .Net, MultiCharts .Net 64, MultiCharts .Net SE, MultiCharts .Net SE 64 are all different products and the one you are having problem with right now must be selected to collect the required information.
3) Press “Make Dumps” button. This utility will create dumps and logs, pack them into a zip file and open the folder containing the file once the procedure is done.
4) Please upload the zip file to any file sharing hosting and send me (support@multicharts.com) the download link and specify the time when MultiCharts went frozen and what you were doing at this moment with MultiCharts.

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 11 Feb 2014

hi

thanks Henry

shane

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”