Precise Backtesting  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
beck donald

Precise Backtesting  [SOLVED]

Postby beck donald » 30 Jan 2014

Item number 6 on https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... acktesting

States...

"Apply the strategy to the Ask data series, which is the first chart. It does not matter if the strategy is applied to the Ask data series or the Bid data series. It only matters that the strategy is applied to the first chart."

My experience in a chart, chart traded at a demo account and one traded on a live account, is different. If the first data on the chart is changed from ask to bid and the second data on the chart is changed from bid to ask, there is a difference.

I changed the selections in the extended backtesting.

Both historic and live trades are different when compared to a chart that has the ask data first and the bid data 2nd.

This is on CQG and I have installed the software uploaded Jan 24th

beck donald

Re: Precise Backtesting

Postby beck donald » 30 Jan 2014

some further info....

if you use bids, asks or lasts for both data1 and data2, switching the extended backtesting in such a way that #1 is on top and #2 on bottom and then switch, so that #2 is on top and #1 is on bottom, you get different strategy results.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 31 Jan 2014

Hello Don,

The strategy calculation results are different when it is applied to different data streams (which are asks and bids in your case).

If you want to base your strategy calculation on the Trade data series and get precise backtesting order fill price please create a chart with three data series:
Data1=Trade data;
Data2=Ask data;
Data3=Bid data.

On Extended Backtesting tab select Ask data=data2 of your chart;
Bid data=data3 of your chart/

Now extended backtesting is configured properly.

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 31 Jan 2014

Henry,

Sorry if I was not clear. I am trying any combination, to make work. In the past, if I was trading short only, I would have bid as #1 and ask as #2. Doing this created the issue, that caused me to try to use trade. So I think there is still an issue.

Thank you,
Don

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 31 Jan 2014

Henry,

Sorry if I was not clear. I am trying any combination, to make work. In the past, if I was trading short only, I would have bid as #1 and ask as #2. Doing this created the issue, that caused me to try to use trade. So I think there is still an issue.

Thank you,
Don
Don, if you are trading long and short then the setup I have suggested above is recommended. Have you tried it? Please specify the issue you have with it.

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 31 Jan 2014

Henry,

My charts are either long or short, but not both.

Should I try it if I am short only with profit target?
Should I try it if I am long only with profit target?

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 03 Feb 2014

Setup as you suggested,

A chart not trading and one that is trading produce different signals.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 Feb 2014

Don,

Do the charts have exactly the same setup (resolution, data range, sessions)?
Is the first bar on both charts the same?
Are the signals configured the same way?
Are the strategies configured the same way?

Sometimes it may happen that backtesting is not the same as Live trading.
Please follow this link to learn more details: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... ve_Trading

If you expect the orders to be generated but they are not - please check your code to ensure that the order generation conditions are valid: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... t_Executed

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 04 Feb 2014

Henry,

I have 2 charts open, one a "copy window" of the other. To insure data is the same, I reload all data.

A chart that is trading to a demo server, produces a different pattern of signals, to one that is just running and collecting data. While it is in the sync mode, because it is a demo server, I would think the typical market issues are not present. I can try to change it to "A Sync" and see if that changes things.

Thank you,
Don

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 04 Feb 2014

Henry,

More info....

If you run one chart and allow it to evolve with market data coming and at some period of time in the future you copy and paste that same chart, the signals do not match. I noted the barnumber for the data on the chart developed in the market, and used those same values to build the 2nd chart, so they are a match....in so far as the chart setups go. But signals do not match.

Thanks,
Don

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Feb 2014

Don, please study the following article.

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 10 Feb 2014

Henry,

I am aware of this. I trade very quickly with many trades per day. There is a large variation.

Thank you,
Don

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Feb 2014

Don, please send me (support@multicharts.com) the following information for further investigation:
- workspace you are using;
- in QuoteManager select the symbol you are using, make a right click on it->Export data->Export instrument (with data). Send me the Qmd export file for analysis;
- in PowerLanguage editor->File->Export->export the studies you are using in the workspaces you are providing. Send me the study export file;
- attach a detailed problem description and highlight the problem on the screenshots;
- attach your output log that shows that the order execution is incorrect.

If the file size is >10 mb please upload it to any file sharing hosting and send me the download link.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”