All of my studies GONE!!!!  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
JosephIM

All of my studies GONE!!!!

Postby JosephIM » 30 Apr 2014

Source is still present in the userprofile directory as well as the install directories ("StudyServer\Techniques\"), but still nothing loads. All my charts tell me study not found anymore.

To be clear NOTHING changed @ all short of me closing down yesterday after market closed and trying to start up this morning.

All studies are gone, trying to add a study yields and empty dialog. I am in the directory I see the dll compiled last onthe 27th( which was working and in use yesterday ), and another from today(Debug 27th release today ) in an effort to get this fixed( compiled through VS ) as the MC editor doesn't load anything. I am dead in the water today.

Please help!!

How do I load or have the MC editor "pick up" the source files in it directory( more importantly the compiled resource )?

What the hell happened?

hairyMug

Re: All of my studies GONE!!!!

Postby hairyMug » 30 Apr 2014

re-install MC and see if that fixes; if it does, check your disk drive for errors... it might have scrambled something...

novaleaf

Postby novaleaf » 02 May 2014

did you restart your computer / multicharts?

i deleted my .vb files and then saw that the mc.net editor complains, and wouldnt compile anything anymore.

closing multicharts and the editor, then restarting, i see it rebuilds the project and puts back the missing files. perhaps you could try the same.

JosephIM

Re: All of my studies GONE!!!!  [SOLVED]

Postby JosephIM » 04 May 2014

Well, somehow the "StudyServer" folder was no longer being read.. no clue
so after spending the day with support we determined it was best to backup all of my CS files, rename the study folder, run repair, and then put my CS files and projects back in manually.

MC was then able to read the directory and load my files( no it was not permissions issues ).

Had to do some work to get things working from VS again in terms of references but.. there yo go. MC just hosed up.

Support was unsure what the cause was. So they ran a dump and after rebuilding install sent me on y merry way.

I am working so - meh it happens. just sucks to lose a day. Thank to MC support and hopefully this will help anyone else who runs into this.

Yves BENOIT

Postby Yves BENOIT » 11 May 2014

Hello,

As you said in previous post, "no clue…". I would like to help find the clue.

I just had the same trouble with MC 8.8. release 3, 64 bits, on Windows 7, 2.7GHz I7 with 24 Go Ram.
I ran antivirus, and Checked Disk.

After scripts disappeared, I over installed Release 4 and asked to compile uncompiled files: It says it does the job, but when I close PLEditor and reopen it , my 25 recent scripts and many others older (>40) are still uncompiled, or disappeared.
I tried to "repair" with no success.
Finally I exported studies, uninstalled release 4, moved away C:ProgramData/TSSupport folder, reinstalled, imported studies, recompiled everything.
IT WORKED . (I still have to port back DataBase folder). ok.

but I lost the 25 studies that I created last Thursday (in preparation for a conference);
and 2 days of work, I spent to get hands again on all compiled scripts.
By the way, this event occurred to me some months ago, to a minor extent.

So in order to RESOLVE this problem, I have suggestions of possible causes:
1) May be there is a hidden limit in the number of studies: I have now accumulated 420 signals, 950 indicateurs, 680 functions?
2) Sometimes I quitted PLEditor and right away I exited the computer without checking in Task Manager, if process StudyServer.exe had quitted (everyone knows now that it keeps working for some time after quitting PLE, and Windows also tidies up some caching at same moment). This might be a cause, especially in multithreading environment?
3) The day I created all these lost studies,just after, I often wanted to rename some of them; so I clicked on the script chose Property/Properties and changed the name in the name field, and recompiled. Maybe the script database was disturbed because I should have created a new script instead of modifying an old one?

Hope these suggestions help.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 20 May 2014

1) May be there is a hidden limit in the number of studies: I have now accumulated 420 signals, 950 indicateurs, 680 functions?
Hello Yves,

There is no limit for the amount of studies one can have.
2) Sometimes I quitted PLEditor and right away I exited the computer without checking in Task Manager, if process StudyServer.exe had quitted (everyone knows now that it keeps working for some time after quitting PLE, and Windows also tidies up some caching at same moment). This might be a cause, especially in multithreading environment?
If you close PLEditor and restart your PC from Start menu then no information should be lost as there will be a system prompt that the processes are still running. If you accidentally press Reboot button on your PC then unsaved data of any application can be lost.
3) The day I created all these lost studies,just after, I often wanted to rename some of them; so I clicked on the script chose Property/Properties and changed the name in the name field, and recompiled. Maybe the script database was disturbed because I should have created a new script instead of modifying an old one?
That should not be the case. Renaming a study is a native feature that should not break anything.

In addition to JosephIM's post I would like to add that he was running one MultiCharts component as administrator, while the other was running not as administrator. All of the MultiCharts applications must be run under the same user.

Yves BENOIT

Postby Yves BENOIT » 20 May 2014

So unfortunately we don't know why there might be such "gone by the wind" studies;
Anyway it's very seldom;
At least you tell us to avoid some behaviors.

Thank you for your answers, Henry.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”