MC 9.0 RC tsserver.exe remains after shutdown

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
MidKnight

MC 9.0 RC tsserver.exe remains after shutdown

Postby MidKnight » 16 Sep 2014

Frequently getting this happen, but not every time. tsserver.exe will remain after mc.net64 is exited. I have to kill it in taskman.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: MC 9.0 RC tsserver.exe remains after shutdown

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 16 Sep 2014

MidKnight, please add MultiCharts processes to the list of exceptions in your anti-virus.

If the processes are not finished again please do not end them.
Go to Start->All programs->MultiCharts .NET 64->LogsCollector.
The tool will collect the logs, create dump files, zip them and upload to our FTP.
Please let me know when you upload the dumps and I will forward it to our engineers for analysis.
If the file cannot be uploaded automatically please manually upload it to any file sharing hosting and send me the download link. After that is done you can end the processes and restart MultiCharts. Please also let me know if you have the steps for replicating this behavior.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 16 Sep 2014

It is not an antivirus issue.

Next time it occurs I'll do as you say with the logscollector. Thank you.

I do not know why it happens. All I'm doing is hitting file | exit from the menu system.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 24 Sep 2014

Your logs collector crashes with a stacktrace. I have the logs in a 16mb archive but I do not have any filehosting services.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 24 Sep 2014

If the issue still persists, please come to our live chat during working hours (6:30 am – 2:45 pm EST) to let our operators connect to your computer remotely and help you: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 24 Sep 2014

The problem is intermittent. I'll manually FTP upload the logs if you can PM me access. Your logscollector program just crashes every time.

Edit: tsserver remains again today, have 2 log file archives now. Logscollector program crashes again.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 25 Sep 2014

MidKnight,

Please use a cloud service like DropBox, Google Drive, OneDrive or any other to upload the files you collected and send us the download link to support@multicharts.com.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 26 Sep 2014

MidKnight,

How long did you wait for the tsserver.exe to unload after you closed MultiCharts, Portfolio Backtester and QuoteManager?

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 26 Sep 2014

Several minutes.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 29 Sep 2014

Do you have any antivirus software installed on your computer (including prebuilt Microsoft antivirus)?

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 30 Sep 2014

Just windows defender. No issue with prior version of MC.net64, but version 9 leaves this process hanging nearly every time after exiting the program.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 01 Oct 2014

Please try to disable Windows Defender completely and reproduce the issue. Let me know about the results.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 03 Oct 2014

No difference, tsserver.exe still remains after exit most of the time.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 04 Oct 2014

Starting to think this problem is limited to situations when connected to data services. The few times I've run MC.net today in offline mode, tsserver.exe has terminated shortly after shutting down MC.net64

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 07 Oct 2014

This bug persists with your latest "stable" release of version 9. Running both IB TWS and esignal for data. Your logscollector tool still crashes when trying to FTP the file.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 07 Oct 2014

Could you send me (ashuvlenov@multicharts.com) the following files?
  1. The workspace to reproduce the situation.
  2. Export of used symbols (with data) from QuoteManager in .qmd archive: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... rting_Data
We also have few more questions:
  • When you close MultiCHarts is any of your charts still backfilling?
  • When you close MultiCHarts is any of studies on any of your charts still calculating?
  • Do any other processes of MultiCharts stay active after the software is closed completely?

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 07 Oct 2014

We also have few more questions:
  • When you close MultiCHarts is any of your charts still backfilling?
  • When you close MultiCHarts is any of studies on any of your charts still calculating?
  • Do any other processes of MultiCharts stay active after the software is closed completely?
Data sources connected to at the same time are TWS and esignal data manager 11.8 build 460.

1) No charts are backfilling.
2) Studies may be being calculated if I exit when real-time data is coming in, but that is not always the case. I've had this issue both during a live market and after the market has closed with no new real-time data coming.
3) No, only tsserver.exe.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 08 Oct 2014

Could you send me (ashuvlenov@multicharts.com) the following files?
  2. Export of used symbols (with data) from QuoteManager in .qmd archive: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... rting_Data
Thank you. Could you also send me the requested files?

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 08 Oct 2014

You want me to export symbols with data or only the settings will suffice?

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 09 Oct 2014

2. Export of used symbols (with data) from QuoteManager in .qmd archive...

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 09 Jan 2015

Complete fresh install of Windows 7 with completely up to date windows updates on a brand new Intel computer that is dedicated to only running trading applications with MC.net64 version 9.0 build 10362 and this problem still exists. Also, if I happen to open Oanda data source symbols, there are 2 MC.net Oanda processes that also fail to clean up after trying to exit MC.net64.

This is never a problem when I just load charts from a single data source (ie. esignal or just IB) and then exit. It cleans up all MC.net processes fine. Whenever I load charts that use multiple datasources then MC.net will terminate all processes on exit and I need to kill them via the taskman.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 13 Jan 2015

I sent you a file to install on your PC, so we can debug the case this way, since you cannot come to our live chat. You let me know the file is causing a memory leak.

My last email to you was:

Topic: RE: tsserver.exe remains after program exit
Sent: Tue 11/11/2014 3:05 PM
To: 'MidKnight'

• Please send us MC logs next time the memory leak issue is reproduced: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... harts_Logs
• We will also need dumps of MC processes that eat all your RAM: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7013369
• There is no way we can study and fix any issue by screenshots without logs and dumps. The issues you report cannot be replicated on our end.

We have not received any identical confirmed issue reports from other customers.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 13 Jan 2015

G'day Andrew,

I didn't say it was just a memory leak, I said it was taking all my RAM. It took less than a minute to totally cripple and disable a computer with 4GB of RAM.

You expect me to install software that allows you to gather debug information but that same software you want me to install brings my computer to its knees in less than a minute through an aggressive memory leak OR the other software you wanted to me use was displaying popups in the middle of my screen every few seconds. Not only that, but as I did make you aware several times as well, the logs collector program that comes with an MC.net64 install fails to FTP up the logs. That is 3 tools that you have created to debug the main Multicharts application that are themselves, all heavily bugged.

You do realize I'm trading for a living and am not employed as a Multicharts Quality Assurance employee? Your requests of me to install your buggy debug software was both frustrating and costly.

Please be reasonable on your expectations of your customers - you are supposed to be support fixing issues, not creating new problems for your customers. Never with a trading software company has this happened to me before and frankly, I'm angry and irritated by this support provided. If you have debug software that does not intrude on my trading activities, then I am of course all too eager to install it and assist in debug efforts.

I don't understand how you can't replicate this. As I said, complete fresh windows 7 install with windows update current on a brand new computer about 2 months old. I was able to replicate the exact same issue I was getting on my old trading computer.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 14 Jan 2015

• Unfortunately we don't experience the issue following the steps you told us. We have tried multiple times on different computers. Other customers have not reported a similar case that was confirmed by our engineers.
  • If we cannot replicate the issue, the other way to get this resolved is to study the case on your computer. Unfortunately you cannot come to our live chat to let us connect remotely to your PC to help you due to the difference in time zones.
  • Since we are unable to study the problem on your PC, we developed a module that would do additional logging that should be useful for us to help you. The module was assembled, tested and sent to you.
  • You are reporting the module "eats" your RAM. When I kindly asked you to make dumps and send logs, so we can figure out what happens on your PC, i did not receive the required files for analysis.
In my opinion we are doing everything we can to help you.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 14 Jan 2015

I get up at 6am every day so that means I'm in bed before 10pm. Your live chat hours starts at 1230am my time - if I purposefully get up at 1230am to give you remote access to my multicharts application will you assure me an immediate meeting or will I have to wait in some sort of queue? Will I have to meet with someone other than you and have to explain the entire problem all over again and all the things we have already tried?

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 15 Jan 2015

We can schedule the meeting in the live at 12:30 am your time with me directly (you will not have to wait) for any particular day of a week, however i cannot guarantee the issue will be resolved right away.

Our live chat closes at 9:00 am your time. If you get up at 6:00 am every day, you can come to our live chat at this time and we will study the case remotely.

Please note that to make it all as quick as possible, let me know at what day and at what time (your time zone) we should expect you in the live chat, so i will make sure the engineers will be available to focus on the problem.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 15 Jan 2015

I can't do any mornings. I have 2 young boys that take up my entire morning as I get ready to take them for their activities for the day.

Can we set up to meet at 1230AM on Weds my time (that should be 630AM Tuesday your time) next week?

I can replicate the problem 100% of the time. I want it made clear that I do not want you guys installing any software on my machine while giving you access. It has already consumed enough of my efforts cleaning up past versions of your buggy 'debug' releases.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 16 Jan 2015

Ok, sounds good! I (or my instructed colleague) with our engineers will wait for you in our live chat at 6:30 AM our time on Tuesday 20.01.15 to connect to your computer remotely and study the issue as soon as we can.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”