Creating tick precise indicators

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
MidKnight

Creating tick precise indicators

Postby MidKnight » 16 Sep 2014

Now that I've learned MC.net has great difficulty creating a tick precise indicator, I'd like to collate suggestions for how this is done.

Originally I thought setting "update on every tick" in the indicator properties would do it, but no that is not the case as realized here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47174

So how is this done within MC.net? My view of a tick precise indicator is that it calculates tick by tick both in real-time AND historical data.

With eager anticipation,
MK

JoshM

Re: Creating tick precise indicators

Postby JoshM » 16 Sep 2014

So how is this done within MC.net? My view of a tick precise indicator is that it calculates tick by tick both in real-time AND historical data.
If you want to calculate an indicator tick-by-tick:

1) Base the indicator on a 1 tick timeframe (either as data 1 or an additional data series).

2) Use `DataLoader` (or `CustomInstrument`) with a 1 tick resolution.

You're probably already familiar with both of these, but to my knowledge there is no other way to achieve this.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 16 Sep 2014

Hi JoshM, thanks for the reply.

1) This will visually mess up the timeframe being used for study.

2) I've been trying this, but I cannot get it to work with historical data - real-time only. Say for example I have a 1minute chart that I am studying with a tick precise indicator. The calcbar() will only be called at bar close for all the historical data.

Neoticker has had a solution to this for over a decade and it does not distort the visuals of the timeframe under study, I imagine other charting programs have as well. I would have thought that this sort of feature was standard practice in today's platform. There must be a proper way to do this without distorting the visuals of the timeframe under study.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 23 Sep 2014

Support, your input on how to achieve this would be appreciated. Your lack of input suggests extremely hard/impossible to do within MC.net.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 26 Sep 2014

1) This will visually mess up the timeframe being used for study.
That is possible to do without visually messing up the chart. You can add 1 tick data series, make it hidden (Format->Instrument->Subchart:Hide), reference 1 tick data series values from the code. The chart will visually mess up only if you select 1 tick data series in Format Indicator->Properties->Base study on.
2) I've been trying this, but I cannot get it to work with historical data - real-time only. Say for example I have a 1minute chart that I am studying with a tick precise indicator. The calcbar() will only be called at bar close for all the historical data.
Prebuilt studies cannot do that. In order to achieve this goal you need to create your own study that will be calculated on an array of bars loaded by DataLoader.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”