IB Data and Volume Profile  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
GTrader

IB Data and Volume Profile

Postby GTrader » 08 Oct 2014

Is there a way to use 1 minute bar data for volume profiles? I'm using IB as my data feed and they don't provide tick data and their second bars have way to strict data constraints for make a volume profile. I was thinking you could create a less accurate profile using minute bar/volume data.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: IB Data and Volume Profile  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 09 Oct 2014

Hello GTrader,

There is no such option at the moment. Please vote for the corresponding feature request: MC-1278

MidKnight

Re: IB Data and Volume Profile

Postby MidKnight » 09 Oct 2014

Hi GTrader,

Be careful using volume with real-time IB data - it is grossly inaccurate. While all real-time feeds have differences between their real-time volume data and historical volume data - IB is the worst of the bunch.

With kind regards,
MK

GTrader

Postby GTrader » 09 Oct 2014

Thanks for the heads up MK. I'm trying to move from TS to IB as a broker but I have to say I'm starting to get a headache. The portfolio margin that IB offers made me give it a try but I am having huge data issues. I am still using TS data for most of my trading but I really want to consolidate my trading to one broker if possible. If you don't mind me asking, what data feed do you recommend?

Best
GT

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 09 Oct 2014

Very tough question. All have issues and it depends on your needs and the size of your wallet :) If I could afford it, I'd probably be trying to use CQG....but instead I use esignal for Hong Kong Futures data and IB for forex data......My forex trading is on nothing lower than 2 hour bars, so IB is fine for that level of granularity.

With all my best,
MK

GTrader

Postby GTrader » 10 Oct 2014

thanks MK

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 10 Oct 2014

No worries. I should add that if I was only to want USA products, I'd probably be using DTN IQFeed.

With all my best,
MK

nickm001

Postby nickm001 » 14 Oct 2014

It is actually safer to have more then one broker, since they all go down sometimes. MC works fine with TS data and gives nice volume profile. On the other side, IB is good as a broker with one account that you can trade just about anything you can think of...

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”