Creating Trailing Stops  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
orad

Creating Trailing Stops

Postby orad » 27 Dec 2014

I saw this other thread about trailing stops but wanted to open a new topic for this question.

I'm trying to use the MC.NET API to create Trailing Stops and I have the following question. In Trailing Stops we usually have 4 components:

1. The initial stop distance from the entry price
2. The trigger price
3. The trailing distance to keep from last price
4. The trailing steps

For example these settings in OEC Trader are described as: (under bracket strategies)

---Trailing Stop---
Factor: Initial Stop in ticks, points or currency.
Trailing Trigger Factor: Amount the trade needs to move in your favor before the stop moves (trails).
Trailing Stop Factor: Amount the stop moves after the Trigger is hit.
Trailing Mode: How often the stop moves after Trigger is hit. EveryTick, EveryFactor, or Once.

How can we create trailing stops with the above settings in MC.NET? Is there any helper function for this?

JoshM

Re: Creating Trailing Stops  [SOLVED]

Postby JoshM » 29 Dec 2014

In Trailing Stops we usually have 4 components:

1. The initial stop distance from the entry price
2. The trigger price
3. The trailing distance to keep from last price
4. The trailing steps

For example these settings in OEC Trader are described as: (under bracket strategies)

---Trailing Stop---
Factor: Initial Stop in ticks, points or currency.
Trailing Trigger Factor: Amount the trade needs to move in your favor before the stop moves (trails).
Trailing Stop Factor: Amount the stop moves after the Trigger is hit.
Trailing Mode: How often the stop moves after Trigger is hit. EveryTick, EveryFactor, or Once.

How can we create trailing stops with the above settings in MC.NET? Is there any helper function for this?
As far as I know, trailing stops in MC .NET have on component: the trailing distance (in currency or price difference).

What you are talking about here seems to be two orders: (A) a regular stop-loss order, and (B) a trailing stop-loss order that replaces (A) when the trigger price (point 2) is hit.

There's no helper function in MC .NET that works like the four components of OEC Trader, to my knowledge.

orad

Re: Creating Trailing Stops

Postby orad » 29 Dec 2014

That makes sense, a regular STP that is replaced by a TRSTP would do this. Thanks!

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”