Data feeds from custom sources, defined in code?  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
novaleaf

Data feeds from custom sources, defined in code?

Postby novaleaf » 30 Jan 2015

Hi, I just subscribed to activetick, which provides historical and realtime market data.

Given an arbitrary selection of symbols+date ranges (as defined in a csv), I would like to procedurally import this data into multicharts.

Given that activetick is NOT one of the pre-defined data-sources, is there some way of achieving this? perhaps dumping the symbols I'm interested in to ASCII, then procedurally reading it in via the multicharts ascii data-source? is this possible?

Thank you!

novaleaf

Re: Data feeds from custom sources, defined in code?

Postby novaleaf » 31 Jan 2015

Alternatively, if I could import/construct the symbol data directly in c# and inject it into the DataLoader/Symbol Server, that would be wonderful.

Thank you!

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Data feeds from custom sources, defined in code?  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 03 Feb 2015

Given that activetick is NOT one of the pre-defined data-sources, is there some way of achieving this? perhaps dumping the symbols I'm interested in to ASCII, then procedurally reading it in via the multicharts ascii data-source? is this possible?
Hello novaleaf,

The easiest solution is ASCII mapping. ASCII mapping creates a link from the software to the ASCII file with data. ASCII mapping does not import data into MultiCharts database (Edit data window of QuoteManager will be empty). Each time you plot an ASCII mapping symbol-the data is taken from the file directly. That is possible to map multiple ASCII files at the same time. You do not need to create ASCII mapping instrument manually-it is created automatically upon mapping.
More information: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... ping_ASCII
Alternatively, if I could import/construct the symbol data directly in c# and inject it into the DataLoader/Symbol Server, that would be wonderful.
There is no way to do that.

novaleaf

Re: Data feeds from custom sources, defined in code?

Postby novaleaf » 03 Feb 2015

Thank you Henry,

Basically I have a strategy that picks 200 candidate securities every day, so to backtest that I will need to import thousands over the span of a year.

The ASCII mapping workflow seems to meet my use-case needs, so I will give that a try!

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”