Tick Data Processing  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
MidKnight

Tick Data Processing

Postby MidKnight » 21 May 2015

Hi there,

I've encountered a pretty strange problem with my tick data that is either a problem at my data providers end (eSignal) or in the way MC.net is processing tick data.

Pull up a T&S window and watch the ticks come across on a real-time feed of the HKFE HSI Futures. You will note that a large amount of ticks coming in are shown as "above the ask" or "below the bid". Firstly, how is this even possible? Secondly, this is happening on thousands of ticks a day, every day.

I've contacted eSignal about the issue and here is their response. Somewhat predictable as I expected they would point the blame at MC.net because I'm not using their eSignal charting platform. Anyhow, here it is:

Code: Select all

Hello, this is from the Quality Assurance Dept.

I don’t see this problem in eSignal, but I see in our logs of your activity that you are running TS. I assume your referring to the many one-sided b/a’s that occur throughout the day. But they have no condition in the eSignal T&S; like the “above ask or below” as you mention below. And they are not coupled with a “clear” since in eSignal neither the b/a nor their sizes gets cleared in a quote window when a one-sided quote occurs. It appears this is something about which you need to talk with TS. And by the way, I’ve been working here for many, many years and have never gotten this particular complaint before.
So that is why I'm contacting you. eSignal say it is a problem on your end. I don't fully understand their reply and I don't fully understand how the MC.net T&S works - maybe that is why I don't understand his reply very well.

Either way, this is a pretty serious issue that needs to be addressed by someone.

I can post screens highlighting the issue if you need, but if you just do as I describe above you will instantly see the issue.

MidKnight

Re: Tick Data Processing

Postby MidKnight » 25 May 2015

Screenshot. This is just nonsense.
Attachments
esignal_TS.png
(22.53 KiB) Downloaded 1535 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 26 May 2015

Hello MidKnight,

Our engineers are currently analyzing this case. I will get back to you with the results.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 01 Jun 2015

I just had more response from eSignal on this and they again confirm that they are not seeing this issue on a real-time feed with their eSignal charting application. They again pushed the problem onto my charting provider, you guys aka Multicharts.net .....

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Jun 2015

Hello MidKnight,

We were unable to replicate this behavior on our end. Please plot a tick chart with three data series (1 tick ask, bid, trade) next to your Time and Sales window to compare the data stream. Using such setup you can verify that the Time and Sales window has the correct statuses. If you still have any issues with it - please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 1 pm EST to demonstrate it remotely. We will do our best to help you.

MidKnight

Re: Tick Data Processing  [SOLVED]

Postby MidKnight » 24 Jun 2015

Update
~~~~~

I did as Henry suggested in the post above and noted lots of times the last traded price was outside the bid/ask tick data stream. I don't have hard percentage numbers, but in 30 seconds i was able to highlight a dozen ticks that did this. Imagine how much that adds up to in an entire day.

After several weeks of trying get through to someone at esignal that actually would give a damn, I managed to get direct contact with management. Just today they acknowledged data discrepancies in both their real-time feed and their historical tick data.

Keep in mind that my investigation is only in the products that I am trading in, that is Hang Seng futures and H-Shares futures at the Hong Kong Futures Exchange. This may be an issue for other markets so if you are concerned about it, I suggest doing some study as Henry describes above.

While this is so far not an MC.net matter it appears, I'm just keeping folks up to date on this rather serious data feed flaw.

With kind regards,
MK

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 25 Jun 2015

After several weeks of trying get through to someone at esignal that actually would give a damn, I managed to get direct contact with management. Just today they acknowledged data discrepancies in both their real-time feed and their historical tick data.
That's an achievement in itself. :)

Thanks for the update by the way.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”