Testing algorithm correctness

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
hoimlet

Testing algorithm correctness

Postby hoimlet » 23 Sep 2015

Hi everyone, I'm interested to hear how people test their trading programs for correctness (does it enter and exit when it is supposed to).

Background:

I test my own software by saving a short series of ticks and running the trigger code through unit tests. However, using MC .NET, I've found the main source of errors is from making wrong assumptions about the MC .NET API behavior such as SignalObject member values, etc.

So I want to do an integration test where I run the MC .NET Backtester on a quote file and make sure I get the entries and exits that I previously verified by eye. I would run the Backtester programatically and specify a quote file, then analyze some output file.

Question:

Is there a way to run the MC .NET Backtester programatically?

Also I would be interested to hear about how others are doing this kind of testing.

Thanks!

jwebster503

Re: Testing algorithm correctness

Postby jwebster503 » 25 Sep 2015

Most of our code lives outside MultiCharts as a DLL -- this allows for unit testing specific scenarios.

We have the ability to save and replay streams of ticks, which allows us to do regression tests -- we generate logs of events, such as when a position changes, what the price was, and what time the change happened. We then compare these to known files which we've manually verified.

Also, as you mention, much of our struggle has been with the interaction with MultiCharts -- Realtime Ticks are delivered while historical data is processing, so we need to queue them until historical data catches up. It feels like MultiCharts will call StartCalc and StopCalc on a whim -- I think I understand in general when it will happen, but the fact that StartCalc gets called multiple times during a data "run" means that we have to handle much of the caching of resources ourselves instead of letting the calculation run do it, etc.

I'd also be very interested in running Portfolio Backtester programmatically and getting programmatic access to generated reports.

Good luck,

Jeff

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 06 Oct 2015

Hello hoimlet,

Please specify the exact functionality you want to automate.

hoimlet

Postby hoimlet » 06 Oct 2015

Portfolio Trader:
Run a saved portfolio from the command line, and,
automatically save the generated reports to the file system.

This way, we can automate our strategy testing. (Meaning, test if it gives the correct trades on a given day; that the algorithm is working correctly.)

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 09 Oct 2015

Hello hoimlet,

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately there is no such functionality at the moment.
You may want to submit a feature request to the Project Management of our web site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”