Assigning .net indicators to specific CPU cores...?

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
Archer

Assigning .net indicators to specific CPU cores...?

Postby Archer » 01 Dec 2015

Hi!

I am considering buying an AMD 8-core CPU, but from what I have understood there is nothing programmed that utilizes eight cores at the moment. So to make the best of use of resources I am wondering if it is possible to assign .net indicators to specific CPU cores?

Thanks,
Archer

Archer

Re: Assigning .net indicators to specific CPU cores...?

Postby Archer » 07 Dec 2015

Just a follow up.

As you understand I am far from an expert when it comes to multi-core tech and programming, so please bear with me.

To explain a bit more about what I was thinking. If say the operating system and applications never use more than four of the eight cores with the AMD CPU mentioned, I am then wondering if it would be possible to assign a .NET indicator to use one or more of the remaining four cores not being used by the OS and applications?

Thanks,
Archer

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Dec 2015

Hello Archer,

That is not possible to assign .net indicators to specific CPU cores - this is done automatically.
Multi-core CPU will increase the optimization speed as this calculation is done with certain values, it can be divided into multiple flows using multi-core CPU. Multi-core CPU will also increase chart indicator calculation as the calculations can be split between the CPU cores (all studies from a single chart are calculated in a separate thread).
Multi-core CPU will not increase the backtesting speed as it is a linear calculation procedure and it cannot be divided into parts for calculation.

Archer

Postby Archer » 09 Dec 2015

Hello Archer,

.... Multi-core CPU will also increase chart indicator calculation as the calculations can be split between the CPU cores (all studies from a single chart are calculated in a separate thread)....
Thank you for your answer Henry.

I do not know how many cores MC .NET are programmed for, so I am wondering if what you say above is limited to the number of cores MC .NET are programmed for? Or is it so that calculation of studies can make use of cores beyond the limitation of MC .NET itself?

Thanks,
Archer

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 15 Dec 2015

Hello Archer,

MultiCharts / MultiCharts .NET are not limited to a specific number of cores. The application is designed to utilize your PC reasonably and efficiently.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”