Considering .net from Power Language

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
The9000

Considering .net from Power Language

Postby The9000 » 20 Feb 2016

I understand there is a learning curve involved in learning c# which I'm confident I can handle.

My main reason for considering the switch is speed and memory use. The Portfolio Trader seems to be a major memory hog when running more than ~15 symbols intraday (2 minute charts). I can run tests on up to about 50 symbols (2 minute data) going back 5 with 16gb before I start getting low memory warnings from MC.

So my questions is - how much faster is the .net version for back/forward testing and how more efficient is it's ram use?

JoshM

Re: Considering .net from Power Language

Postby JoshM » 24 Feb 2016

So my questions is - how much faster is the .net version for back/forward testing and how more efficient is it's ram use?
Since you haven't heard an official response, I want to chip in and say that I haven't noticed a speed or memory change between both versions. If anything, I would say that the PowerLanguage version feels a little 'lighter' to me, but that's merely a feeling and I have no data to back that up.

It sounds like the behaviour that you're describing is a problem in the program itself, and given that MultiCharts and MultiCharts .NET are the same program, there's no guarantee it won't happen with MultiCharts .NET.

The9000

Re: Considering .net from Power Language

Postby The9000 » 24 Feb 2016

Thanks for the reply.

The other reason I'm considering it is would be an effective way to teach myself C#. I would say my Power Language skills are a 9.5/10 and I would like to learn an object oriented language. I'm also learning Python at the moment and I find it very easy to learn, though I haven't gotten to the object oriented part yet.

One concern I have is the lack of documentation on the .net version. Specifically I can't find any documentation on .net MMS scripts. If I can figure out how to work effectively with price, volume and order data in c#, I believe the rest I will be able to handle.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”