Countdown Timer

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
datamonkey

Countdown Timer

Postby datamonkey » 10 Nov 2016

Hi,

Does anyone happen to know of or have a countdown timer for MC.net they can share please?

I need one to show the number of ticks remaining in a bar using Renko charts as the included one only works on bar/candlestick charts.

Thanks in advance :)

JoshM

Re: Countdown Timer

Postby JoshM » 11 Nov 2016

I need one to show the number of ticks remaining in a bar using Renko charts as the included one only works on bar/candlestick charts.
That should not happen, I think, because `RecalcLastBarAfter()` works with a `TimeSpan` interval and is independent from the chart/resolution.

What MultiCharts .NET version are you using?

datamonkey

Postby datamonkey » 11 Nov 2016

That should not happen, I think, because `RecalcLastBarAfter()` works with a `TimeSpan` interval and is independent from the chart/resolution.

What MultiCharts .NET version are you using?
Hi Josh,

I'm using Version 9.1 (Build 12589).

Are you saying that the countdown timer should work with Renko charts then?

Strangely enough it did used to work on my charts but for some reason stopped.

When I posted on here about why it stopped, I was told by MC admin that it shouldn't work and was disabled as a feature after MC Version 7. If it was already part of the software why go to the hassle of actually removing it when it was useful? No idea.

I do have chart proof showing it worked after that but got nowhere! In fact I have countless Renko charts showing a working countdown timer on but have been led to believe it shouldn't have been the case and no real explanation has been given.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50222

One point given was that the countdown timer was using a second data source. Thing is when I add a second instrument to make "invisible" it ruins the Renko charts. All of this can be seen on the link above.

So bottom line is. I used to have a countdown on my charts. Then it stopped. Then I was told it couldn't/shouldn't have happened. The suggested fix ruins my charts. No admin seem to want to actually help even though this is a "support" forum! Hence why I'm now looking for a separate indicator to fix it.

Hope the above makes sense and sorry if I ranted!?

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 11 Nov 2016

(...)

So bottom line is. I used to have a countdown on my charts. Then it stopped. Then I was told it couldn't/shouldn't have happened. The suggested fix ruins my charts. No admin seem to want to actually help even though this is a "support" forum! Hence why I'm now looking for a separate indicator to fix it.
Sorry Datamonkey, I misunderstood you completely it seems. I was talking about programmatically recalculating a script periodically.

Looking back now at your first post I see you weren't asking about that, but meant with the countdown timer that little arrow-like pointer that's displayed on the chart's price axis. I thought you mean creating a countdown timer in code.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to create that arrow-like pointer on the price axis that counts down to when the bar closes.

Apologies for the confusion!

datamonkey

(...)

Sorry Datamonkey, I misunderstood you completely it seems. I was talking about programmatically recalculating a script periodically.

Looking back now at your first post I see you weren't asking about that, but meant with the countdown timer that little arrow-like pointer that's displayed on the chart's price axis. I thought you mean creating a countdown timer in code.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to create that arrow-like pointer on the price axis that counts down to when the bar closes.

Apologies for the confusion!
No problem, I probably wasn't clear in my description!

I did mean the little timer on the Y-axis but I just need any timer on the chart whether it's on the Y-axis or not. It could be just a figure on the actual chart or anything...

For my particular strategy it's important I know when the bar is likely to form and at the moment I have to cross-reference with a candlestick chart set to the same resolution to get this data though that's not ideal as I need 2 charts and I lose valuable time while my eyes search for the info not to mention screen real estate for my main chart is lost!

ABC

Postby ABC » 11 Nov 2016

datamonkey,

how can you tell how many ticks are left in a Renko bar?

For a tick bar this is simple, but for a Renko bar it could take 10 or 1000 ticks until the bar is finished. This is how I understand "ticks left" in a bar at least, which makes me think you are looking for something else. Maybe you can post an example of what exactly you are looking for and elaborate how you would manually compute it. This might make things clearer and enable someone to help you.

Regards,

ABC

datamonkey

datamonkey,

how can you tell how many ticks are left in a Renko bar?

For a tick bar this is simple, but for a Renko bar it could take 10 or 1000 ticks until the bar is finished. This is how I understand "ticks left" in a bar at least, which makes me think you are looking for something else. Maybe you can post an example of what exactly you are looking for and elaborate how you would manually compute it. This might make things clearer and enable someone to help you.

Regards,

ABC
Hi ABC,

You're right that the ticks left is the number of ticks until the bar completes. It's the same for any chart type including Renko. The only difference is with Renko it also has to meet a price criteria to form otherwise it starts again if not met.

Hopefully the chart example below explains a bit better but let me know if still unclear!

Please see attached chart, which shows the tick data on the Y-axis as I used to use it on Multicharts after Version 7!
Attachments
workspace_setup050515.png
(143.62 KiB) Downloaded 1405 times

datamonkey

Postby datamonkey » 16 Nov 2016

MESSAGE FOR ADMIN - seeing as a countdown timer existed for Renko charts before Version 7 can you please request to the developers to add the feature back in please? I presume the coding for it must still exist so would be easy to do, especially as it's already present on other chart types.

Why it was taken out when it did exist is a mystery! I mean why take features OUT of your software when they're already there? Bizarre.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”