Speed up screen updating during fast markets

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
johnromeronc

Speed up screen updating during fast markets

Postby johnromeronc » 27 Mar 2020

I found this on a broker site, and confirmed with MC support today and they approve my repost.

snip.....

We’ve reached out to Multicharts support. You can find their response below:

MultiCharts is efficiently using your CPU cores wherever that is technically possible.
The studies calculations are multi-threaded - all studies from each chart are calculated in an individual thread, utilizing your multi core CPU. Auto trading for each chart is also handled by a separate thread in a different process.

Multi-core CPU affects the optimization speed, as this calculation is divided into multiple flows that run in parallel. But each MultiCharts main window is running in a single thread. All visualization of one main MultiCharts window (disregard the number of workspaces/charts/windows in it) is done by a single thread calculated by just one core.

To make the visualization use multiple cores and improve the performance of the platform – you need to run multiple instances of MultiCharts64.exe (multiple instances of the main MC window).

You can place each main window on its own screen and save its settings as a Desktop file:

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... g_Desktops 5

If you still think that it has any negative effect on the resource usage – you can detach the windows from each instance of the platform and place them on your screens the way you like it:

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... ng_Windows 3

We hope you found this response helpful.

Emmanuel

Re: Speed up screen updating during fast markets

Postby Emmanuel » 28 Mar 2020

Thank you John

This is a very interesting subject.

Main Multicharts is limited to 2 instances on one computer.

if you detach a windows, it will run on a separate core ???? are you sure ?

Normally a detached graph is still referenced in the the Main Multicharts .

It would be helpfull to have more details form Multicharts Team.

johnromeronc

Postby johnromeronc » 28 Mar 2020

I run MC.Net 64, so I do not know specifically about MC. What I did was create a desktop .mcd for each of my charts. So, I have a 6 desktops and workspaces each with a different single chart in it. If you want to start all of them at the same time,you can use the windows file explorer and select them all. Otherwise you would have to "open" each desktop one at a time within MC. Before this fast market, I used to have 1 desktop, with 1 workspace and 6 charts. Now I have each one broken out on its own. I am able to run 6 instances of MC.Net 64 with one chart in each main desktop. It does allow all of my charts to stay up with the fast / high volumes of the ES. My RAM usage went up form 30% to 40%. I have 32 Gig and my CPU utilization went up from 30 ish to usually around 50%, sometimes spiking up to 65% . I have an Intel I7 2 CPU , quad core -- totaling = 8 cores.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone from MC support can post a reply to your specific question.

John

Emmanuel

Postby Emmanuel » 29 Mar 2020

Hi John,

I am using MC.Net 64 too and MC64. This is an important question. I didn't use different desktop until now. I will try.

This help a lot.

thank you

Emmanuel

Postby Emmanuel » 27 Apr 2020

I try opening 4 desktop , it works well, and it is very useful. each speed improvement is very important.

thank you johnromeronc

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”