how exactly does the optimization work (technically)

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
HellGhostEvocatorX

how exactly does the optimization work (technically)

Postby HellGhostEvocatorX » 27 Mar 2023

I would be interested to know how exactly the optimization works. So when is which data pushed back and forth and how, e.g. between RAM, CPU, SSD ...
Also, for example, is all the data used loaded into the RAM and then retrieved from there?

The problem with very extensive back tests/optimizations is always the time factor. I would like to accelerate dying further.

I can't accelerate the CPU performance any further, but since I have a lot of RAM available, I was thinking about trying a multichart installation in the RAM itself or a so-called "RAM disk" - can you do 2 multicharts run installations on the same PC?.
I am concerned here with the purely technical process and possible improvements.
I had already considered a calculation on the graphics card, but since you do not have access to the backtest engine, this will probably not be possible without further ado - there have already been forum entries on this.

Polly MultiCharts

Re: how exactly does the optimization work (technically)

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 31 Mar 2023

Hello HellGhostEvocatorX,

MultiCharts doesn’t work with disk actively, so RAM Disk technology will not help much to improve the performance. The only thing that can be affected is the logging functionality, so you might try redirecting your logs on RAM Disk.

As for the optimization process, here is how it works:
First the entire optimized series is loaded into memory. Then it is optimized in the memory until the results are received. Optimization does not access the disk.

HellGhostEvocatorX

Re: how exactly does the optimization work (technically)

Postby HellGhostEvocatorX » 03 Apr 2023

Thanks Polly!

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”