Tick Bars

Questions about MCFX and MCFX Data Feed.
stepwise

Tick Bars

Postby stepwise » 30 Jul 2006

Hey there,

Tick data is looking good. Referring back to a previous concern with the "empty" bars at session breaks. Is there anyway to hide these? It really makes my indicators look choppy.

I already tried UNchecking "Show Empty Periods" on the X- Time Scale tab on the window format but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

stepwise

Postby stepwise » 31 Jul 2006

Follow up...

It appears that the session breaks are more of an issue than just display.

Despite me setting a tick bar size the session break seems to break whatever bar it's at.

1. For instance, if I set a 4000 tick bar chart - at 5pm EST (Session Break), it will break up my bar even if it is at less than 400 ticks. I need to exclude session breaks and have all my bars respect the number of ticks specified.

I mentioned before that I use very large tick charts. I use one equivalent to 1/3 of a day or an 8 hour chart and another for the equivalent of a 2.5 hour chart. Ideally, I would like to use one equivalent to a 1 day chart.

2. But, because data is not saved locally it will take quite a bit of time for me to download my charts everytime I open MCFX. At 1 Million ticks per MB I would have to download approximately 87 MB of data. This calculation is based on the number of ticks per chart at 500 bars back on each multiplied by 3 charts and then multiplied by 10 workspaces. I am an active swing trader trading 10-15 currencies. At this rate I don't see this being very efficient. Any chance you will be looking at saving data locally?

Not sure if MCFX is able to accomodate the above two requests. If not, let me know when you think it might be done. I may have to go with someone like TS until then.

Thanks.

Stanley Miller

Postby Stanley Miller » 31 Jul 2006

If you use such large tick resolutions, the last bar will always be incomplete. We have to use this logic and start bar calculation from beginning of the session to make the charts always identical. If we won’t do that, then a chart built from 500 4000 tick bars will be radically different from a chart built from 501 4000 tick bars, as everything will depend on the starting point. In this case calculation always begins from the session start.

This weekend we made tick history for 3 years available on our server; you can test the speed of chart loading. We plan on using cache as soon as possible, this will among other things decrease server load. Now you can simply switch MCFX off as rarely.

stepwise

Postby stepwise » 31 Jul 2006

Ok, I understand that. But is there any way to hide the session breaks on my chart - they look really choppy.

Also, what is your estimated time for implementing local storage of data (with only necessary updates)?

Stanley Miller

Postby Stanley Miller » 31 Jul 2006

You can hide the session break line if necessary.

As to the data cache, we don't have the exact estimations so far.

Return to “MCFX”