Save data

Questions about MCFX and MCFX Data Feed.
dof

Save data

Postby dof » 17 Nov 2006

Why don't you save the data on the local machine so only the new candles will be downloaded? with the option of refreshing the chart from server, witch will download everything?
If you have 20 charts.. it takes a lot of time.
Just a thought

Stanley Miller

Postby Stanley Miller » 18 Nov 2006

Actually there is no reason to save data locally. The advanced technology we use provides high data compression, this keeps the data packets small, which means you should receive the data at remarkably fast speed, even on a standard 56k connection. Of course, you can also take full advantage of your DSL or cable modem connection. In practice it takes a few seconds to display a minute chart for almost 5 years, charts with a lesser data volume are displayed instantly.

What data do you have on your charts?

aussiefx

Postby aussiefx » 18 Nov 2006

I'd have to agree with Dof. Storing data locally would have several advantages. First, I too have really, really slow load times even with only 3 workspaces. (I PMed Alex the workspaces last week). I have a 512/128 ADSL and it takes sometimes 10 minutes to load everything up. Second, I commute to work every day and I like to analyse my charts and do back testing on the train. If the data were stored locally I'd be able to do that, where currently I can not.

I appreciate what you say below but in reality that is not the experience. Opening a single chart once everything is already up and running may only take a little while as you state but to get to that point is a painfully slow experience.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 21 Nov 2006

We are analyzing your workspaces and they really seem to be loading slow, which led us to discovering some problems on our server, so we're fixing them presently.
If everything was working fine, with your connection speed it would take about 10 seconds to download, so this is why we like many other charting product developers, are not implementing local storage. Implementing it would only complicate the product if data downloading works well.
Going to the train commute you can just set the notebook to hibernate - data won't update but you'll see the opened charts.

dof

Postby dof » 22 Nov 2006

I bet you have a good algorithm for compressing, but one thing I've notice. There is a big difference between loading time on saturday and and monday. THe idea is that when there is no activity the charts are loading how you expect, but when things get crowded...
So maybe, and I say maybe, you're not doing the testing in real life scenario.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 22 Nov 2006

Could you please report what exactly you were doing, a step by step description with step by step timing how long it takes on those different days?

aussiefx

Postby aussiefx » 14 Dec 2006

Alex,

Under what conditions are you getting 10 sec chart loads? I can honestly say that I can never get anywhere near that sort of performance. Even just 12 months of 4hr data (less than 3000 bars) takes considerably longer than that.

I still think that storing the data locally would be a much better proposition (MT4 and TS both do)

Kate

Postby Kate » 15 Dec 2006

Aussiefx,

If I request 1 hour bars since 2001 till 2006, it takes 5-7 seconds to download this data. But if i request 12 months of 4 hours data, it takes 25-30 seconds because 4 hour bars are created from data of 1 hour resolution.

aussiefx

Postby aussiefx » 16 Dec 2006

Kate, thanks for the feedback. So, what you are saying is that the download is (potentially) quick but the extrapolation / calculation is what is slowing it all down?

Am I correct in my understanding?

Kate

Postby Kate » 18 Dec 2006

Data of 1 hour resolution is requested directly from the server, but when you need 4 hours minutes are requested and this slows down data loading. But we are working on this issue and soon it will be fixed.

Return to “MCFX”