Indicator on indicator

Questions about MCFX and MCFX Data Feed.
Kate

Indicator on indicator

Postby Kate » 07 Mar 2007

If you want to superimpose one indicator on the other, please review the attached screenshots. I used Moving Average and Average True Range as an example.
Attachments
ATR.ZIP
(124.95 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

yosnappyj

Re: Indicator on indicator

Postby yosnappyj » 07 Mar 2007

If you want to superimpose one indicator on the other, please review the attached screenshots. I used Moving Average and Average True Range as an example.
Of course! It simply hadn't occurred to me that the "Price" parameter in a study could itself be another study, even though that's exactly what I've been doing with the "Custom (n) Line" option.

Many thanks.

One question - how can one tell the valid syntax of the input? In your example, the Average True Range function is called "Average True Range" with two parameters in the first instance, but coded as "AvgTrueRange" with a single parameter in the second. How do you get from one to the other?

Kate

Postby Kate » 13 Mar 2007

One question - how can one tell the valid syntax of the input? In your example, the Average True Range function is called "Average True Range" with two parameters in the first instance, but coded as "AvgTrueRange" with a single parameter in the second. How do you get from one to the other?
You can find the valid syntax in PLEditor. As to two inputs shown on the second screenshot, only the first input pertains to Average True Range, second one pertains to Alerts.

yosnappyj

Postby yosnappyj » 13 Mar 2007

You can find the valid syntax in PLEditor.
As you know, I'm running MCFX Basic, and all my questions about using indicators on indicators have been in that context. If I understand correctly, PLEditor isn't available to MCFX Basic users. Have I misunderstood?

Kate

Postby Kate » 14 Mar 2007

You are correct, PLEditor is not available in MCFX Basic. In this case you need to know how EasyLanguage functions are written. I can email you EasyLanguage manual to learn more about these functions and their syntax.

yosnappyj

Postby yosnappyj » 15 Mar 2007

You are correct, PLEditor is not available in MCFX Basic. In this case you need to know how EasyLanguage functions are written. I can email you EasyLanguage manual to learn more about these functions and their syntax.
Thanks. If this is the same manual as downloadable from your "Online Tutorials" page under "Working with analysis techniques in MultiCharts", I already have it. If not, then I'd be very happy to have it.

What I hadn't realised initially (and I don't think it's explicit in your documentation) is that MCFX Basic can accept EasyLanguage expressions as inputs for studies.

This is quite a powerful feature, but (in my opinion) it *needs* to be made explicit, and it needs documentation.

In my case, I subscribed to MCFX Basic because I needed a reliable charting package that I could begin to use immediately, without the complication of learning EasyLanguage, but which would allow me to upgrade in the medium term.

As it stands, it's taken me a lot of trial and error to replicate in MCFX what took a couple of mouse clicks in my previous charting package. This may seem obvious to someone who knows the package already, but as a beginner I feel there needs to be better, clearer, and more comprehensive documentation available.

This is probably especially true for MCFX Basic, whose users are likely to be less experienced, and who may be put off upgrading to the Pro package if they find the documentation of the Basic package inadequate.

It would certainly reduce the workload of your support staff in the long term!

Return to “MCFX”