Scaling Glitch

Questions about MCFX and MCFX Data Feed.
yosnappyj

Scaling Glitch

Postby yosnappyj » 23 Apr 2007

There seems to be a small intermittent glitch with the scaling of charts
in workspaces where several charts are tiled vertically.

If all charts are set to scale automatically (screen range), it seems that occasionally the scaling of a given chart will reset itself to user-defined at random, so that maximizing that chart causes the price curve to run off the window.

I've attached a couple of screen grabs to illustrate.

scalingglitch1.png shows a typical workspace with the charts tiled vertically, and all scaling set to "screen".

scalingglitch2.png shows the 1-hour chart from the same workspace maximized. The scale of the price subchart has set itself to "user defined".

It's not a big problem, but I thought it was worth pointing out.
Attachments
scalinggitch1.png
(144.49 KiB) Downloaded 1357 times
scalingglitch2.png
(123.45 KiB) Downloaded 1370 times

yosnappyj

Re: Scaling Glitch

Postby yosnappyj » 25 Apr 2007

I've added a couple more examples.
Attachments
scalingglitch4.png
(126.49 KiB) Downloaded 1355 times
scalingglitch3.png
(121.28 KiB) Downloaded 1353 times

Kate

Postby Kate » 26 Apr 2007

James,

I tried several times but failed to reproduce the situation although I plotted the same symbol in the same resolutions, arranged them vertically and applied the same indicators. Does this problem occur each time when you maximize a chart ? Could you contact us and demonstrate the problem via HelpDesk?

Postby Guest » 26 Apr 2007

I tried several times but failed to reproduce the situation although I plotted the same symbol in the same resolutions, arranged them vertically and applied the same indicators. Does this problem occur each time when you maximize a chart ? Could you contact us and demonstrate the problem via HelpDesk?
Thanks Kate.

I have trouble getting free time during your office hours to run Helpdesk.

However, I've been able to narrow down the problem to a certain set of circumstances.

Try this. For one of the vertically-tiled windows, go to:

Format / Window / Appearance / Title bar

and select "Title Bar - Auto Hide".

Now close the Format dialogue, and left-click on the title bar of another vertical pane, making the title bar of the first window disappear.

Now return to the first window, and left-click anywhere on its price scale to make the title bar reappear. Now maximize this window. You should see the effect I described.

So it seems to be a combination of the following. In a vertically-tiled window with an auto-hidden title bar, left-clicking on the price scale resets the price scaling from Automatic (Screen) to User Defined.

yosnappyj

Postby yosnappyj » 27 Apr 2007

In a vertically-tiled window with an auto-hidden title bar, left-clicking on the price scale resets the price scaling from Automatic (Screen) to User Defined.
Re-reading the above in the bright light of day, it seems that this must be intentional. In fact, right-clicking on the price scale of a 'glitchy' chart brings up a 'reset scale' option.

I must have been clicking the top right of a vertical pane to render the title bar visible in order to maximize the chart.

So now I'm aware of what I was doing, there's no more problem.

The curious thing is that this effect only seems to occur on windows with an auto-hidden title bar.

Kate

Postby Kate » 27 Apr 2007

Today I managed to reproduce the situation. So it appears to be a normal behaviour because when you have an "auto-hidden" title-bar and click on the price scale the program shifts the picture (screen range) to include the title-bar. You should either not use hidden title bars, or not click on the price scale when maximizing the window.

yosnappyj

Postby yosnappyj » 29 Apr 2007

Today I managed to reproduce the situation. So it appears to be a normal behaviour because when you have an "auto-hidden" title-bar and click on the price scale the program shifts the picture (screen range) to include the title-bar.
Is there a reason it doesn't just rescale the graph while retaining the automatic setting, rather than jumping to 'user defined' mode?

geizer

Postby geizer » 13 May 2010

Today I managed to reproduce the situation. So it appears to be a normal behaviour because when you have an "auto-hidden" title-bar and click on the price scale the program shifts the picture (screen range) to include the title-bar. You should either not use hidden title bars, or not click on the price scale when maximizing the window.
Well it seems like a very old thread but I keep hitting this one on the regular basis... I tend to disagree with Kate's statement that such behavior is "normal". Can TS Support revisit the subject and carefully look at whether this can be improved? This problem, while not seem critical, becomes huge obstacle when working with small charts windows (ex. 15 chart in the workspace= 3x5 ). Since every chart window is comparatively small it becomes much harder not to hit accidentally one of the indicators or data series on the chart when user is trying to click on supposedly empty area of the chart window.

I have had trend lines and other drawing objects accidentally moved or jumped even if I tried to avoid them when clicking. This is just unacceptable... When I click in one area of the chart and software interprets that the mouse click occurred at different coordinates.

Another thing is Kate was basically asking users to do extra click on the chart. There is no reason to click chart twice (1st - to activate window, and 2nd - to select the object - it's just insane - when the task could/should be achieved with single mouse click).

Also I appreciate the advise not to use hidden Title bars, but this creates another issue. When Title bar is hidden, maximizing the subchart becomes impossible. I made a post describing the issue here:
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=126

A thorough re-examining of the scaling behavior (with Title-Bar autohide enabled) by TS Support would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
--
Pavel
Last edited by geizer on 13 May 2010, edited 2 times in total.

geizer

Just as thought:

Apparently when mouse coordinates calculated the following are not taken into consideration:

1. ChartWindow_Height = ChartWindow_InactiveHeight - TitleBarWidth
2. The width of the title bar might have been customized by the user... ( in Microsoft Windows XP: Display Properties-->Appearance-->Advanced-->Active Title Bar Window-->Font Size).

geizer

Please consider this thread (report of suddenly moved trendlines) as it might be related to the issue: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=21228

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 14 May 2010

Dear Pavel,

I have discussed the scaling issue with the developers, this behavior is normal. There are several solutions to avoid problems when you have lots of small charts on a workspace:

- Use Window menu to switch between charts.

- Make several workspaces with larger chart windows and use the Detach Window and Stick Window options.

- Set Title Bar as "Off"

Return to “MCFX”