Data Servers and Ports, Etc.

Questions about MCFX and MCFX Data Feed.
kevin kolodzy

Data Servers and Ports, Etc.

Postby kevin kolodzy » 26 Jan 2008

One of the posts listed the ports to use for different data feeds:
7000: FXCM
8000: GAIN
9000: "Third"

The default on setup is 10000. It appears the port cannot be changed (I attempted to do so after 5pm Friday) in order to get more data - port 10000 has only let me retrieve 4 months or data regardless of the number of bars.

a) is port changing still supported, and if so, how do I make it work?
b) depending on port selected, how do I get more than 4 months of history?
c) if a port other than 10000 is selected, either I get a login error ("unknown error") or no data is loaded (with FXCM port 7000 on Saturday morning, get Waiting for data on char)
d) how does one get (2-6 years needed) historical data for development and backtesting purposes outside trading hours?

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 26 Jan 2008

Kevin,

I too am dealing with the same thing. In addition, did you notice if the bid on the trading platform matched the bid on your charts? Mine didn't.

Thanks
Don

kevin kolodzy

No, I didn't notice if they matched, since I wasn't watching for that, but will now that you've brought it to my attention. I only started playing with this software yesterday, so I have lots to learn and investigate.

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 26 Jan 2008

Kevin,

I installed mine yesterday as well. Been with TS for forever. TS is really having problems. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole system went down and started to smoke. I bailed because I couldn't take waiting for a growing and never ending list of bugs to be fixed.

The biggest adjustment so far has been not having some sort of trade manager either for positions or signals.

Lots of pluses that I see so far.

Take care,
Don

kevin kolodzy

I've also been with TS, but lately have been unhappy with reliability. MCFX has some rough edges and lacks some things which I hope can be added, fixed, or worked around. The people here do seem responsive and interested in making this work - TS is not very responsive except in rare instances, though I do think they are trying to make it all work. Eventually.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 29 Jan 2008

Hi guys,

The new server only supports one port - 10,000.

Regarding the 4 months of data, we have implemented temporary limitations on the number of bars that can be requested. At this point you can view any period of time (within around the past 7 years) but only in 4-months portions. Or in larger resolutions. These limitations were imposed after one of users requested enormous numbers of bars which took a heavy toll on the server.

Our engineers are now working to make this limitation unnecessary. Soon, you will be able to plot 7 years of data in any resolutions.

kevin kolodzy

Postby kevin kolodzy » 29 Jan 2008

If one user can overload the server in that fashion, I hope that you will have sufficient servers and bandwidth to accomodate hundreds or perhaps thousands of users making requests frequently when the beta phase is complete.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 29 Jan 2008

Yes Kevin,

This is exactly what we are working on right now.

edwardheming

Postby edwardheming » 22 Aug 2008

Is this four month data condition still present?

Right now I can't seem to load anything earlier than 4 months ago. I've tried adjusting the symbol data range to look back to an earlier period but I can't get that work either.

Any suggestions?

Edward

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 27 Aug 2008

Dear Edward,

At the moment, the limitations on history are as follows:

ticks - ~ 7 days
minutes ~ 200 days
hours and higher ~ 7 years

Next week we are planning to launch the server where this limitation will be lifted. You will have access for ~ 7 years of data for all resolutions.

Regards.

KiwiDon

:?: Re: Data Servers and Ports, Etc.

Postby KiwiDon » 29 Aug 2008

The default on setup is 10000. It appears the port cannot be changed (I attempted to do so after 5pm Friday) in order to get more data - port 10000 has only let me retrieve 4 months or data regardless of the number of bars.

c) if a port other than 10000 is selected, either I get a login error ("unknown error") or no data is loaded (with FXCM port 7000 on Saturday morning, get Waiting for data on char)
d) how does one get (2-6 years needed) historical data for development and backtesting purposes outside trading hours?
Hi There

I'm just wondering what data source is port 10000 is using?...is it FXCM?

Is there a port for just GAIN data, or has that been discontinued (I thinking of getting the MCFX basic version and just checking things out). I have the demo, but it seems it's port - port 10001 is using FXCM data.

Thanks in advance.

edwardheming

Postby edwardheming » 01 Sep 2008

Marina,

Thanks for explaining that. I'm glad you are implementing that change since although I trade longer term bars they tend to be denoted in minutes (aka 4 hours as 240 minutes).

Edward

Marina Pashkova

Re: :?: Re: Data Servers and Ports, Etc.

Postby Marina Pashkova » 03 Sep 2008

Hi There

I'm just wondering what data source is port 10000 is using?...is it FXCM?

Is there a port for just GAIN data, or has that been discontinued (I thinking of getting the MCFX basic version and just checking things out). I have the demo, but it seems it's port - port 10001 is using FXCM data.

Thanks in advance.
Hi KiwiDon,

For now, the only port used in MCFX Basci and Pro is 10000. There are no other options. The data comes only from FXCM. The same goes for Demo: the port is different but the data still comes from FXCM.

Regards.

Return to “MCFX”