Chart Data Problem

beck donald

Chart Data Problem

Postby beck donald » 27 Jan 2008

I opened a 1 min USD/JPY and noted that for today's data, every time I refresh the chart (did this to hopefully get back to the start of market Sunday) the data disappears and it starts from scratch. Along side of this chart I have FXCM open and its chart is progressing through the start of trading without any of the dame appearances.

Same is true of tick and second charts and or if a different symbol is loaded in.

Thanks
Don

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 27 Jan 2008

Issue seems to be that there is no historic data on Sundays and it won't retain current Sunday data.

MKlein

Re: Chart Data Problem

Postby MKlein » 28 Jan 2008

I opened a 1 min USD/JPY and noted that for today's data, every time I refresh the chart (did this to hopefully get back to the start of market Sunday) the data disappears and it starts from scratch.
I think you're describing the same effect I noted here:

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=4593

"Between NY close (2300 local time) and midnight local time, reloading a chart causes all data that's arrived since NY close to disappear. For example, a 5min chart refreshed at 2330 loses the six bars that have appeared since 2300. After midnight all the missing data reappears."

M Klein

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 29 Jan 2008

Hello,

We are going to try and reproduce the problem on our end. As soon as our software engineers have the results, I will post them.

Regards.

kevin kolodzy

Postby kevin kolodzy » 30 Jan 2008

The problem persists and is easy to replicate. With an existing chart that has been open awhile, in the early evening (after 5pm EST USA), do Ctrl-R. Any bars that WERE present past the 5pm session change are lost.

I hope you can find and fix this problem soon! I'd like to try some live test trades, but will hold off until the data is (more) reliable.

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 30 Jan 2008

The problem persists and is easy to replicate. With an existing chart that has been open awhile, in the early evening (after 5pm EST USA), do Ctrl-R. Any bars that WERE present past the 5pm session change are lost.

I hope you can find and fix this problem soon! I'd like to try some live test trades, but will hold off until the data is (more) reliable.
I think you need to have someone look at it live. It seems that the data fills in historically... meaning yesterday's data appears OK. I had thought the problem was only on Sunday, I was wrong. AS Kevin points out its a daily issue.

It is happening at 14:00 on my charts (PST)
Don

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 30 Jan 2008

Pictures of issue attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MKlein

Postby MKlein » 31 Jan 2008

It seems that the data fills in historically... meaning yesterday's data appears OK.
It is happening at 14:00 on my charts (PST)
For how many hours a day are you seeing this effect? For me (my time zone is GMT+1) I only see the effect between NY session close (5pm EST, 11pm local time) and midnight, i.e. for one hour each night.

That makes me think the problem arises because MCFX uses two different ways of defining the end of the day - NY session close and local midnight.

Have you tried changing the time of your computer's clock? If the two times are set to coincide, it may be that the problem disappears.

This evening I'll set my computer's clock to GMT+2 to see if the bug goes away.

M Klein

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 31 Jan 2008

I do know it can and does last hours... how many I am not sure.

kevin kolodzy

Postby kevin kolodzy » 31 Jan 2008

I can change my computer time to whatever will work, but that is a temporary solution only. It will not be reasonable for all users to do this.

For now, can anyone suggest the correct time zone setting?

MKlein

Postby MKlein » 31 Jan 2008

I can change my computer time to whatever will work, but that is a temporary solution only. It will not be reasonable for all users to do this.
Yes I agree - it was just a suggestion to try to identify the source of the bug, and nothing more than a hunch on my part.
For now, can anyone suggest the correct time zone setting?
As I wrote above, my guess is GMT+2. That makes midnight local time equal to the 5pm EST New York close.

M Klein

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 31 Jan 2008

As of 20:30PST the data still disappears.

I will next check at 1 minute before 21:00 and then 1 minute after 21:00 to see if 24:00 EST has meaning.

Don

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 01 Feb 2008

No difference as of 21:03PST, the data still goes bye bye. The next time check would be 24:00, if I am up I will check it then.

Don

MKlein

Postby MKlein » 01 Feb 2008

I will next check at 1 minute before 21:00 and then 1 minute after 21:00 to see if 24:00 EST has meaning.
Midnight EST is not important. Midnight local time is.

I did some tests yesterday evening. Setting my computer's clock to GMT+2 causes the bug to disappear, as predicted.

This explains why TSSupport failed to detect the problem: Rostov-on-the-Don is at GMT+3.

M Klein

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 01 Feb 2008

Thanks for continuing the check on it and sharing your results.

Don

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 03 Feb 2008

And.... it seems to have solved the data problem.

How do you adjust the chart to a different time zone?

I only see local and exchange. Local time of the charts is still PST even though I am GMT+2.

Thanks
Don

kevin kolodzy

Postby kevin kolodzy » 03 Feb 2008

I think they're saying to adjust the computer's clock to GMT+2 - the chart only has two selections, as you've noticed. You can right-click the clock in the task bar tray, or access date and time in the computer's control panel.

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 03 Feb 2008

I have the computer time changed... trying to get the charts to line up with either the computer or FXCM so my mind doesn't need to go through the bends each time I look at a clock..
wondering if it is......

My time
Computer Time
Chart Time
FXCM Time

MKlein

Postby MKlein » 04 Feb 2008

I have the computer time changed... trying to get the charts to line up with either the computer or FXCM so my mind doesn't need to go through the bends each time I look at a clock..
wondering if it is......

My time
Computer Time
Chart Time
FXCM Time
If you reset your computer clock to GMT+2 before opening MCFX, your charts should show local time as GMT+2. Alternatively reload your charts, and MCFX will pick up local time from your computer.

If you set MCFX to "Exchange Time", that should agree with FXCM.

M Klein

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 06 Feb 2008

Hello everybody,

We are working to resolve this issue.

marc leutscher

Postby marc leutscher » 07 Feb 2008

I have the same problem on the USD/JPY 1 minute chart since the beginning of the week. No historical data is loaded, so no trading this week.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 08 Feb 2008

Dear Marc,

Could you please specify the problem please? Because it looks like it's something different from the problem discussed in this topic (we are working on that problem).

Regards.

MKlein

Postby MKlein » 28 Feb 2008

For the last few days (perhaps since Tuesday's server outage) the behaviour of this problem has changed, as observed in time zone GMT+1, and the situation is worse than before.

From 5pm EST for eight hours, refreshing any chart will cause all data loaded since NY close to vanish. Resetting the system clock to GMT+2 no longer has any effect. After 0600GMT the problem resolves itself.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 28 Feb 2008

Thank you for the information. We are working on the problem.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 28 Feb 2008

We set the highest priority to this issue and our QA tried to replicate the defect. Everything works properly on our end. We tried to use GMT+1 and GMT-5 time zone and the US local settings. The attached screenshots demonstrate that it works here!
So we need to know what factor affects the problem. Please let us know if you have ideas or visit our helpdesk to demonstrate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MKlein

Everything works properly on our end. We tried to use GMT+1 and GMT-5 time zone and the US local settings. The attached screenshots demonstrate that it works here!
Thanks for the reply Andrew.

Judging by the time scales of your charts (server time, I presume) and the time of your post, you made your observations shortly before New York close (5pm EST, 2200GMT). The bug only occurs after New York close, as described previously. This explains why you failed to detect it. It also makes it impossible to demonstrate the bug with helpdesk, as your support desk is not open.

kevin kolodzy

Postby kevin kolodzy » 28 Feb 2008

I can confirm the problem. I just opened a minute chart at 7:04 EST (New York, USA time). The last data point time is at 19:04, and the one prior to it is at 16:59 - so just over 2 hours of data is missing. No doubt, sometime after midnight local time, the data can be refreshed and will fill in the gaps, as before.

Note I have my PC set to "server time" with currently shows as 2:04am Friday - GMT +2 - in an attempt to avoid this problem as reported earlier.

MKlein

I can confirm the problem.
Thanks for the confirmation. I've also attached a screen grab of USD/JPY showing the 40 pip gap down caused by missing data. The chart was refreshed at about 0005 GMT, 0105 local time. The data is missing in all pairs in all time scales.

M Klein

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 29 Feb 2008

Dear friends,
I really appreciate your help and patience in this matter. You are right it was my and our QA fault and we managed to reproduce the problem a few minutes ago by changing time on our internal test server. We will try to fix the issue as soon as possible and I will keep you informed.
I really appreciate your efforts and insights.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 03 Mar 2008

The bug has been fixed.

Return to “Old MCFX Price Server”