System requirement for Live machine

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
KGJVU

System requirement for Live machine

Postby KGJVU » 03 Dec 2013

Hi,
I am planning to go live with MC (Patsystem API - broker plugin) with 4 different products on 3 different exchanges. What should be the spare capacity of the live machine (max %age CPU & Mem Usage) for smooth , glitch-free functioning?

My system specs are: Processor AMD Athlon II X2 215 Processor 2.70 GHz and RAM of 2 GB.

Currently the CPU usage is frequently above 20% & Mem usage above 70% and I haven't even started the live data feed to my system and order generation yet.

Any tips & advice would be appreciated.

arnie

Re: System requirement for Live machine

Postby arnie » 03 Dec 2013

I don't know much about AMD processors but at the minimum you need a quadcore processor, a SSD drive and at least 8 to 12 Gb of RAM.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 03 Dec 2013

Before you start using MultiCharts, make sure your PC meets the following system requirements:Tech Specs.
Basically the required hardware depends on your needs and your setup. Just trace the system performance with your individual configuration and upgrade the weak components.

TJ

Postby TJ » 03 Dec 2013

Before you start using MultiCharts, make sure your PC meets the following system requirements:Tech Specs.
Basically the required hardware depends on your needs and your setup. Just trace the system performance with your individual configuration and upgrade the weak components.
Henry:
Your webpage is in desperate need of update... nowadays 2 GB is barely enough to hold the operating system. Your minimum configuration is 10 years behind.

escamillo

Postby escamillo » 03 Dec 2013

What should be the spare capacity of the live machine (max %age CPU & Mem Usage) for smooth , glitch-free functioning?
Cannot really say without knowing more of your setup, such as the efficiency of the code you have written so as to as far as possible minimize CPU use, whether or not you use minute or tick charts, how far back your charts go, etc.

Even if/when you do your best to minimize CPU use and your system seems fine under normal load, it is the occasional few minutes of extremely heavy volume and lots of price changes (e.g. Fed announcement, or even a pretty normal close) that will try to choke even very good CPU/RAM combo.

You are severely under-powered in your computer for active trading - maybe OK for end of day updates, but for active trading during the day, your system will likely get quite bogged down at times.

KGJVU

Postby KGJVU » 03 Dec 2013

Thanks a ton for all replies so far! The chart resolution being used is 30 mins. No IntraBarOrderGeneration. Have used only some basic tricks to make the code more efficient. But general point is well taken that the system capacity is well below par.

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 03 Dec 2013

I cant run it on my dual core with 4 gb ram
I must use quad core with 8 gb ram

LinxDeb

Postby LinxDeb » 04 Dec 2013

I cant run it on my dual core with 4 gb ram I must use quad core with 8 gb ram
I'm running it on a Thinkpad T400 with a P8600 @2.4Ghz and 4GB of 1066Mhz DDR2 ... HD is a Hybrid-SSD and I have around 10 tick charts open with more than 10 days data range and lots of indicators in each chart.

It's not running like hell but without any delays ... I don't know the specific positive effects of a SSD in live trading as well compared to install MC database in a ramdisk ... who knows. would be nice TSSupport would make a performance test for different environments for live trading ... I guess, after all data etc are loeaded, there is no real difference between a dual core or quad core or else ... I'm not speaking about performance with optimisations.

My Regards.

Return to “MultiCharts”