two instruments chart questions  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
ctu1121

two instruments chart questions

Postby ctu1121 » 15 Dec 2013

Hi,
I draw two chart on MC. One is SPY(SP500), the other is MDY(sp400), I would like to compare the relationship between these two contracts. I am using US Stock(Regular Trading Hours) Session. During thanksgiving 11/29 afternoon, we can see SPY price and MDY price is N/A.
Without MDY price within these period, my plot study will not be correct. May I have some
questions:

1.If my understanding is correct, US stock market is close on 11/29 afternoon. Why we still
could see SPY price?
2.May I cut SPY 11/29 afternoon price manually? So that my study will be correct.
3.I write study to compare the relationship between SPY and MDY. Could I write some code
in my study, if data2 is N/A then, MC will not calculate data1 and data2 at the same time.

Thanks for your great support.

Charles
Attachments
SPY MDY.png
(172.89 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

arnie

Re: two instruments chart questions  [SOLVED]

Postby arnie » 15 Dec 2013

1.If my understanding is correct, US stock market is close on 11/29 afternoon. Why we still could see SPY price?
I assume that is "after hours" trading.
Does MDY trade after hours ?
Markets were opened on the 29th but only traded half day. They closed at 1pm ET if I'm not mistaken.
2.May I cut SPY 11/29 afternoon price manually? So that my study will be correct.
Go to QuoteManager > Tools > Holidays and add a new holiday. I may call it day after Thanksgiving - half day and make sure you have Do not use holidays unchecked.

Reload the charts and the 29th should be cleared from the charts.

ctu1121

Re: two instruments chart questions

Postby ctu1121 » 15 Dec 2013

Hi arnie,
Thanks for your great help. May I have further question:

1.I have followed your instruction, setup "after thanksgiving". I could disable 11/29 all day.
May I disable 11/29 afternoon only?
2.I try to compare two contract, sometimes, I will see data1 price and data2 N/A. Is it
possible to write any code to check N/A? If data1 or data2 is N/A, then I will request Multicharts not to calculate this k bar.

Thanks again.

Charles

arnie

Re: two instruments chart questions

Postby arnie » 15 Dec 2013

I'm not aware of how you could disable the afternoon only for the 29th.

In terms of code, I'm sure it's possible to make one data series search if there's data on another data series but I'm not the guy to answer this since I'm not a programmer.

As I see it, you would need time variables so you could pinpoint where the data ended and from that point forward, no calculations are to be done. Nevertheless, you would always end up with a blank space on your study.

It's preferable just to remove the entire day from the chart.

I hope MC management decides to introduce an option to remove data from the chart and not from the data series itself. Removing the data from the data series the way it is now, through QM, on 24h charts, messes the chart completely. It's preferable to manage holidays or other events on the chart this way, we can remove holidays on some charts and leave them on others.

There's a PM request for it but not yet reviewed

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1395

Return to “MultiCharts”