Project Management web pages: Slow Slow Slow... Is it me?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
arjfca

Project Management web pages: Slow Slow Slow... Is it me?

Postby arjfca » 18 Jan 2013

Hello

Every time that I visit your Project Management site I found it very very slow to load up. Is it me? It just remind me the time it took to load up a page with my first Internet phone modem in 1995
: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

Nota Bene: I did post a request about getting more info from a warning message that pop up PC running out of memory. Problem is I got no clue about witch of my three opened session is causing the problem. So often I need to close down each of them before finding the faulty one.

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1223

Martin

swz168

Re: Project Management web pages: Slow Slow Slow... Is it me

Postby swz168 » 18 Jan 2013

Yes, the PM webpage is damn slow.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 19 Jan 2013

That is because it not only has to load the page but it has to find the database first I guess then load the page with the data from the database. Here are my times.

First time the page took over 3 minutes so I tried again.

Second time:
At 36 seconds It had loaded the page.
At 1 minute and 9 seconds it had loaded the data
At 2 minutes and 31 seconds it had accepted my log on and loaded the data again.
I never tried listing my submissions because that would vary from user to user.

The only way I could see to speed it up would be for it to load only the current pending stuff the first time and show you only the historic stuff if you asked for it. Another (much much better idea) is for it to only load the page and then give you a menu of database items you could see with an estimate as to how long they would take to load. Regarding this (much much better idea), you could always vote for it at the link below but I am not sure if anyone ever looks at it.

MC Bug Tracker wish list
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9252&hilit=votes

If my suggestion of having a "My Votes" feature (which is described in the link above) was in the PM then that menu of database items I mentioned above could have an option to show only the stuff that (I, you, whoever) had not yet voted on. This would greatly reduce the time to show the list. After all, that is what the Pm system is for (1/ a place to enter ideas 2/ a place for us to vote on only the new ideas or the new bugs that we have not seen yet 3/ a place to see if our idea has already been submitted which will obviously occur if we go in to see the new stuff we may want to vote on or if we do a search 4/ a place to maybe add extra ideas to our current submissions or communicate about the idea with the MC-staff). So maybe the best way to reduce the slowness is to implement the "My Votes" features. You can vote on the "My Votes" features in the link above - but - I am not sure if anyone will see it. I think the MC-Staff may be too busy working on MC to pressure the 3rd party company who wrote the PM system to make these types of changes. Having said this I believe the PM system is still a lot better than what was there before (which was nothing). I say this because this link.
MC-423 - More methods to execute a study.
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-423
Is now going into MC as of 8.5 I gather because it has 12 votes. I bet however that if the "My Votes" was in place the number would be 20 or 30 because more people would use the PM system. I won't search for things to vote on until I see the "My votes" feature but maybe if the PM database gets too big maybe the "My Votes" feature will go in after all as more and more people complain about how slow it is getting as it continues to grow.

So to summarize.
I figure the best way to speed it up is to give us a menu when the page shows and the very top default option would be "see the My Votes" list of new requests or bugs that I have not seen yet in the area that I am interested in (for example charting and EL commands, whatever). it will still grow but we will not be seeing stuff again and again that we have voted about. (Note that I said "about" - the My Votes feature would allow us to vote "I will never use it" and this would cause that item to not show the next time we went in to see stuff we had not voted on yet. - this is why it would be the best idea for speeding it up. In other words we only see the new items once. It not only saves us waiting for the load but it saves us having to see all the old stuff again which is probably a much bigger savings of our time.).

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 23 Jan 2013

Every time that I visit your Project Management site I found it very very slow to load up. Is it me?
It's not you. A WebPagetest I performed on January 7 shows a load time around 90 seconds (results here).

It certainly makes the PM even less appealing to use.
Attachments
scr.23-01-2013 16.31.10.png
(4.41 KiB) Downloaded 2136 times

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 26 Jun 2013

I've posted very few ideas, issues, and additions for MC in their PM page because of this nonsense. Recently I've been posting most of my ideas in a topic on the forum, but that's been closed.. probably because of so many people posting there :)

It'd be great if something could be offered to us? The PM page is SLOW, login is separate (WHY???!), and it seems like organization of the topics could be handled a lot better.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 27 Jun 2013

"login is separate (WHY???!) ""

I agree- why not use the forum login and PW ? If we enter PM from the forum, we should be automatically logged in to PM...

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 13 Dec 2013

Loading of one Project Management webpage (single issue page, not the frontpage) just took 2:48 here (yes, 2 minutes and 48 seconds) according to FireFox's Extended Statusbar plugin.

Is the PM also slow for other people? If so, can we please have this fixed?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Dec 2013

Loading of one Project Management webpage (single issue page, not the frontpage) just took 2:48 here (yes, 2 minutes and 48 seconds) according to FireFox's Extended Statusbar plugin.

JoshM, there was a temporary server slowdown. Now it functions properly.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 13 Dec 2013

Just tried it.

47 seconds before anything showed up and 2 min 38 seconds to fully load the webpage.

seneca

Postby seneca » 14 Dec 2013

On my end, it takes 41 seconds to show up the list of topics and 1 min 40 sec to completely load the PM webpage. So it seems there is some room for improvement.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 16 Dec 2013

Slow loading of PM page is our punishment for flooding project management with unnecessary, trivial, not well-though, doubled and stupid feature requests.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 16 Dec 2013

True.. Anyone have any ideas on how to better organize the PM site? As it is now, it's pretty hectic to find a related topic.

I don't think there's anyway we can deter individuals from posting trivial requests.

Abbott_9

Postby Abbott_9 » 04 Jun 2014

I usually use Sitelink self storage software for my projects. The benefit of using these software is that you can get efficiency in work and moreover complete the work on time without having any issues. Management is really important and it provides a good platform.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 04 Jun 2014

I usually use Sitelink self storage software for my projects.
Edit: Your listed website on your profile is the one from Sitelink. Oops, I responded seriously on a "spammer" apparently. :)

Abbott_9

Postby Abbott_9 » 04 Jun 2014

What?? I was really not concerned with spamming. It was really natural. I recommended because it really helped me in my work and thought that it would help others too. What makes you think that i am a spammer? I wonder if one can not even think to help someone.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 06 Jun 2014

What?? I was really not concerned with spamming. It was really natural. I recommended because it really helped me in my work and thought that it would help others too. What makes you think that i am a spammer? I wonder if one can not even think to help someone.
This might be helpful: The meaning of quotation marks.
What makes you think that i am a spammer? I wonder if one can not even think to help someone.
If someone's first post on the day they registered is about their own product, then I'm sceptical. But of course I hope you my bias wrong, and I'm looking forward to help you with MultiCharts (.NET) questions. :)

javamarket

Postby javamarket » 20 Jul 2014

Painfully slow ... > 3 minutes

javamarket

Postby javamarket » 01 Aug 2014

It makes it very difficult to know if a bug is in the system when load times are greater than 2 minutes.Image

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Dec 2015

Dear users,

We have improved the Project Management section of our website. It now loads faster thanks to individual pages for each Version/Status. You can now select any version/status that you want to display issues for in the dropdown list on the left.

Return to “MultiCharts”