Quickly Change From Open Outcry Session to Globex and back

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Nick

Quickly Change From Open Outcry Session to Globex and back

Postby Nick » 06 Feb 2007

Hi,

It is a requirement of many traders (there have been a couple of threads on this) to quickly change from displaying Open Outcry session in a chart to Globex and then back again.

The workaround in previous versions was to have to two versions of the same symbol in Quote Manager one with Globex times one with pit sessions. I used to have it set up like this and I would Have 'ER Globex' in the description of one and 'ER Open outcry' in the other.

This no longer works (actually I dont think it ever worked properly) In this version of MC as the description needs to have the contract details as returned by Interactive brokers in the description. e.g. "USD MAR07 Futures ER2H7".

Actually I am worried that it may cause problems in the Firebird database having master tables with identical key fields ???

There needs to be a way of capturing all data for a contract but applying a time template when its is displayed. A filter if you like.

Is there a work around for this that would work currently? Any chance of having something like this included. It is a pretty basic and fundamental requirement that is usually found in even basic of charting packages.

Nick

Postby Nick » 07 Feb 2007

Any idea on this? Let me try and put it another way. How can I plot ER day session in one chart and ER Globex in another chart?

Kate

Postby Kate » 07 Feb 2007

Nick,

What data feed are you using? It is impossible to create two IB symbols with the same name but from different exchanges. But it is possible using eSignal.

Nick

Postby Nick » 08 Feb 2007

Hi Kate I am using IB.

I need to be able to have ER day session (8.30 - 13.15) in one charts and the full Globex session in another.

This is a pretty basic charting requirement mentioned by several people in several threads.

Postby Guest » 08 Feb 2007

Why don't you set the session in QM for ER from 8.30 - 13.15. In one chart you display ER with setting set as Regular and in the other chart you display ER set as 24 hour. 24 hour display all available data, where Regular display the time period as set in QM.

BTW, I cannot imagine why you want your session to end at 13:15 when the regular trading hours go to 15:15, but I am sure you have your reasons.

Nick

Postby Nick » 09 Feb 2007

13:15 was a type 15:15 is correct <doh> :)

Actually you raise an excellent point (thanks)! why not just use regular trading hours (RTH) and 24 hours pull down. So I set it up like that and then remembered why I dont, it dosen't seem to work!

All this does is move the session break time and not control whether RTH are displayed or 24 hours are displayed. It appears to be bugged.

A picture of a workspace is worth a million words (or something like that) so here is one I made to demonstrate the issue. ER is set to uses the CME equity Index future (combined) template.

Guess I might have missed something (I often do). Actually looking at the time templates that TSSuport provide it looks like the day and night sessions might be reversed. Most instruments start on Sunday (i.e. start with an out of RTH session) could this be the issue?

Cheers,
Attachments
MC-1.png
(128.33 KiB) Downloaded 721 times

Nick

Postby Nick » 09 Feb 2007

Thanks (as always) to Kate for resolving this quickly via live support.

Also apologies as it was my misunderstanding of how templates work in MC. Though in my defence it seems different to TS as far as I can tell. :)

I can achieve most of what I want by simply setting the template up for regular trading hours only.

Basically the 24 hour setting ignores all template information (TS concatenates all the sub sessions and that was where my confusion came from).

The Only thing is 24 hour sessions run from 000000 23:59:59 it would be nice if they mirrored the regular session and ran from 15:30 to 15:15 the next day (or whatever the appropriate times are).

This is useful for things like floor trader pivot studies that rely on previous sessions close for there calculation.

Cheers,
and thanks again

Kate

Postby Kate » 09 Feb 2007

Nick,

So far with IB it is impossible to set up two custom session templates for the same symbol as you want: one for regular hours from 8.30 till 15.15 and the other for 24-hour session from 15.30 till 15.15 the next day. You can set up only one custom session template (for example, for regular hours from 8.30 till 15.15) but for the second chart you should use the default sessions (in this case 24-hour sessions; in MultiCharts 24-hour session is from 00.00 till 23.59). Or visa versa, you can use the default regular sessions and for the second chart set up 24-hour custom session template from 15.30 till 15.15 the next day.

If you use eSignal you will be able to set up two custom sessions templates for both charts.

In the future we will add two custom session templates for IB as well.

Return to “MultiCharts”