Multicharts on Virtual Machines

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
swz168

Multicharts on Virtual Machines

Postby swz168 » 02 Apr 2014

I'm planning to replace Windows with Linux as the main OS.

Does anyone run a Linux as a host system with Windows and Multicharts on a virtual machine?

Which Linux distribution?
Which virtual machine?
Do you trade live on that setup?

I plan to use Ubuntu.

Thanks a lot for sharing!

wegi

Re: Multicharts on Virtual Machines

Postby wegi » 04 Apr 2014

Hi,

i tested Ubuntu Server as Host with VMWare Server as Client, both on a notebook with 4 GB Ram. The performance was not really good, compared to running windows on the laptop. But i have done this test 4 years ago!
Then i bought an PC (Intel Q9550s, 16 GB Ram, 2*500GB IDE) and tested the free ESXi Server Edition (4.x) on it. I was able to run up to 4 VM´s, each with Windows XP, 4 Gb Ram and 2 CPU´s.
Performance was really good. The ESXi Host was running up to one year without an reboot.
This configuration worked 4 years for me (7 days a week), than my hardware made problems.
Now i am testing VMware workstation and hyper v on Windows 8.1 professional (Host) on a new Hardware (i74770k, 16GB Ram, SSD). Client is Windows 7, both client and host 64 bit.
Performance of VMware Workstation is not as good as compared to the ESXi, but good enough for my Trading VM. I did not had the time to test the hyper v, but i expect better performance.
Windows 8.1 Host is running now for 3 Weeks (no reboot) without any problems.

One of my trading VM is running MC 64bit with two running TWS and the quotemanager. It is trading 5 day, 24h. Scalping Systems (autotrading), therefore i need good performance. But i don´t use the trading interface of MC, i programmed my own one.

I would recommend you testing the esxi !

swz168

Postby swz168 » 05 Apr 2014

One year withou reboot? That sounds perfect. Thanks. I will have a look at vmware.

wegi

Postby wegi » 05 Apr 2014

yes,

the Esxi Host Server was running more than one year without reboot, without any problems or failure. The client VM´s (windows xp) need a reboot every week ;-)
After 4 years of running the server with desktop components (! 24x7! ), i tested the hardware and discovered some failure in the RAM or Mainboard. So i decided to buy some new one.

Now i run the new haswell mainboards and the power consumption is now less than 30 watt/h,
my Esxi hardware needs about 100 watt/h ;-)

Return to “MultiCharts”