Memory leak

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
MAtricks

Memory leak

Postby MAtricks » 11 Mar 2014

Is there a fix coming? This is the only software that I own which needs to have a daily restart.

It took 40 minutes to shutdown MC at which point my server was back to using only 3% of its memory. After that it took an additional 18 minutes for all the processes to clear except for tsServer which is still there an hour later.. I wonder how long that will be stuck? Not exactly making me feel warm and fuzzy.
Attachments
MC_mem_error.png
(40.39 KiB) Downloaded 11110 times

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Memory leak

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Mar 2014

Hello MAtricks,

At the moment there are no outstanding issues with the memory usage of TradingServer.exe in MultiCharts 8.8 8593.
Please provide additional information so that we can study your case:
What exact version and build number of MultiCharts are you running? (in MultiCharts go to Help tab-> About)
Which broker do you use?
How long does it take to get 7gb of RAM utilized by TradingServer.exe?
How often is this memory usage replicated?
How many charts do you use for auto trading?

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 12 Mar 2014

Hello

I had a similar problem when I'm using an indicator that is saving on each bars in global variable
and communicate to an Excel sheet. A master indicator was collecting bar data on 8 charts and sending a string of these data to Excel.

My problem could be related to the
- Global variable saving code
- MC to Excel DLL

I stopped using my MC to Excel indicator and the problem stopped. I just don't know how to pin point what is causing what.

Martin

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 12 Mar 2014

Henry, this happens anytime I leave my MC running for more than a few days. In this instance it was running for 4 days.

I have a hard time believing that there are no outstanding issues regarding memory leaks. When I did a quick search I came up with more than a few people having similar issues.

Thankfully, no charts were autotrading at the time of this error. But I have 6 workspaces and 4 charts in each.

I have no global variables saving data.

MultiCharts64 Version 8.8 Release (Build 8593)

Data is through Rithmic

That last process never did clear up.. I had to restart the machine.

I cannot install any additional software to analyze this leak nor can I have anyone port into this particular machine which is the only one that is left running 24hrs a day in return it is the only one with this issue. My suggestion for you Henry is to put a copy of MC on a VPS, create as many windows as you feel comfortable (tick and minute charts), and let it run. My guess is that in under a week, you'll experience the same issue and will then be able to analyze it.

MAtricks

Here is a comment that we previously made with the identical issue with this same build.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11257&hilit=patrick+memory
Hi everyone,

We too are having memory problems with TradingServer.exe:

The above screenshot was taken immediately before MultiCharts stopped responding, and we had to force-close it. It consumed all the physical memory on our server, plus a great deal of virtual memory, after running for a few days in live trading. Fortunately we were not in a position when it crashed, but it took some time to restore our settings and we lost some tick data.

And here is a screenshot from today, after about 24 hours of live trading:

We are running MC version 8.8 Release (Build 8593), and we are using a Rithmic broker feed for data/orders, plus a barchart feed for additional data. We have found a need to close and restart MultiCharts to avoid it crashing, due to this memory problem.

Are others having similar issues during live trading?
Again, we cannot follow your instructions to analyze this because of the security setup on this machine.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Mar 2014

I have a hard time believing that there are no outstanding issues regarding memory leaks. When I did a quick search I came up with more than a few people having similar issues.
As you can see there are no replies to my information requests. None of the users were able to provide any proof of the existing issue or the requested information for testing the case on our end.
Our tests did not reveal any memory leaks. Each setup is individual and even a tiny thing matters a lot.

Were any of the charts auto trading before this error? For how long were they auto trading? How many orders were generated during this period (all orders - filled and cancelled/rejected)?
Do you have broker disconnects? In MultiCharts go to File->New->Open Order and position tracker window-> Logs tab->make sure you are not filtering the information in columns, then go to File->Export to excel. Send me the file for analysis. Please do the same for the orders tab.

What is the difference in application utilization on your computers? What is scenario of using MultiCharts (do you perform manual trading, auto trading, playback, backtesting, optimization)? What is the hardware difference between your computers?

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 12 Mar 2014

As you can see there are no replies to my information requests. None of the users were able to provide any proof of the existing issue or the requested information for testing the case on our end.
Our tests did not reveal any memory leaks. Each setup is individual and even a tiny thing matters a lot.

Were any of the charts auto trading before this error? For how long were they auto trading? How many orders were generated during this period (all orders - filled and cancelled/rejected)?
Do you have broker disconnects? In MultiCharts go to File->New->Open Order and position tracker window-> Logs tab->make sure you are not filtering the information in columns, then go to File->Export to excel. Send me the file for analysis. Please do the same for the orders tab.

What is the difference in application utilization on your computers? What is scenario of using MultiCharts (do you perform manual trading, auto trading, playback, backtesting, optimization)? What is the hardware difference between your computers?
Henry, as mentioned in the previous post, I had a similar problem. I just don't know what was causing the problem.

My indicator was on a master / slave concept The problem with the memory was with the master.

The slave wrote to global variable the OHLC of the last completed bar
The master collect data from Global variable string of up to 8 charts. Assemble them in a string, the string was then sent to Excel. Excel was receiving data for 8 charts in one string.

I stopped using my indicator because of the memory problem.
I never succeed to find the source of the problem. In my case, I know it was around the global variable and or the dll to wrote to Excel ... ELXcel. Everyday, I had to monitor the memory level to close the workspace before major problem to occur.

The involve workspace was not use in live trading. Only in a passive mode.

Martin

MAtricks

-No trading had occurred
-MC ran for 4 days
-No optimization
-Nothing happened on MC except for charts running on two symbols which were in multiple charts that are minute and tick based.
-No disconnects or red lines of any sort in the logs

-The hardware difference between this computer and the others is a lot, but that isn't the issue. If I run MC for multiple days on any of our machines, I see this issue. I haven't had it on my "work" machine for a long time because I've dealt with this same issue too many times so I restart my MC every evening. The common factor I see with this memory leak is duration of running MC.

Its quite the feat to prove to MC that we're experiencing what we post :) I doubt that I or any of the other people photo-shopped our Task Manager screenshots to waste MC's time. Once the issue is reported, the obligation is no longer in the consumer's hands.

I don't think that a simulation will provide the correct analysis so lets try my suggestion...

Let's do this tomorrow? Try to instigate the issue by running:
-10 workspaces
-10 charts in each
-2 symbols for each workspace
-Each symbol will run 1 1tick chart, 1 100tick chart, 1 1000tick chart, 1 1min chart, and 1 1hour chart
-3 indicators of your choice per chart
-1 strategy of your choice per chart (not trading, just running)

On Friday 3/21/2014, post a screen shot of your Task Manager and any errors that MC populates. If your report comes back in your favor, I'll set aside several hours of my time to work on this with you.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Mar 2014

As I have stated above - each setup is individual and even a tiny thing matters a lot. That is especially applied to such thing as a memory leak. In most cases the users do not report back and do not provide the requested information regarding their environment that we need to study the case. We can perform a test "based on" user's description and we have already done that a lot of times. We do it each time any behavior of this kind is motioned on the forum. In a lot of cases the issue, if it exists, is not global. It means it does not affect most of the users and it is highly individual, therefore that is not so easy to replicate it. There are hundreds of users running MultiCharts for weeks and not experiencing any issues.
We will configure a test based on your description and will report the memory usage on our end in a couple of days.

Martin, can you try to isolate the reason of this behavior? We need to know which particular dll is causing it - elexcel or global variables.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 13 Mar 2014

As I have stated above - each setup is individual and even a tiny thing matters a lot. That is especially applied to such thing as a memory leak. In most cases the users do not report back and do not provide the requested information regarding their environment that we need to study the case. We can perform a test "based on" user's description and we have already done that a lot of times. We do it each time any behavior of this kind is motioned on the forum. In a lot of cases the issue, if it exists, is not global. It means it does not affect most of the users and it is highly individual, therefore that is not so easy to replicate it. There are hundreds of users running MultiCharts for weeks and not experiencing any issues.
We will configure a test based on your description and will report the memory usage on our end in a couple of days.

Martin, can you try to isolate the reason of this behavior? We need to know which particular dll is causing it - elexcel or global variables.
Henry, I will try to find time next week. Before giving up, I did a lot of testing to find the source of the problem, but lack of idea on how to isolate it. I had put aside the my indicator because of it.

I can't say if is an
- accumulation of data
- a memory leak

I don't know the test that I could perform to isolate as I'm not sure of the source.

I think that I read somewhere the dealing with communication with Excel from an external source may cause a memory leak. So I'm more incline to say the the probable source is there

Martin

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 14 Mar 2014

Henry, try the test for more than a few day please. I have chatted with several contacts who use MC and they seem to all say the same thing: "we restart often".

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 29 Mar 2014

I just had the issue with a new computer. Loaded up MC and within 20 minutes it had gobbled up 15.9 gigs of ram (99%). The computer was stalling so bad that I couldn't get a screen shot until I finally was able to shut down MC so my screen shot shows a little less...

What on earth would create that issue?

A completely different computer than the other posted screen shots with a different data feed. Brand new restart so MC had barely been running. The workspaces that I had running were previously running for 4 days without error.

Henry or Andrew, I don't know how to replicated it at all... I shutdown MC, waited 30 minutes and started up MC again. tsServer.exe is using 60mb after an hour of running... I didn't change anything.

Attachments
2014-03-29_1846.png
(32.65 KiB) Downloaded 10995 times

TA100

Postby TA100 » 30 Mar 2014

Hi Henry,

- As regards this leak issue can you please list previous stable versions of MC that do not have this problem?

- Can you please explain why it is necessary for MC to be constantly logged into mcauth.com? Surely this is only necessary with a new logon to check authority of the user to do so? From network activity mcauth.com appears to be sent continuos data, why and what exactly is being sent?

_ Can you please explain why it takes 2 minutes + for MC to shutdown.

Thanks.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 Apr 2014

Hello MAtricks,

What exact version and build number of MultiCharts are you running? (in MultiCharts go to Help tab-> About)
Which data provider/s do you use? Is it a live or a demo connection?
How often is this behavior replicated?
What are the steps to replicate it?

Please send me (support@multicharts.com) the following information for further investigation:
- all workspaces you are using for replicating this behavior;
- in QuoteManager select the symbol you are using, make a right click on it->Export data->Export instrument (with data). Send me the QMD export file for analysis;
- screenshot of the following window Control Panel\System and Security\System

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 Apr 2014

- As regards this leak issue can you please list previous stable versions of MC that do not have this problem?
Hello MichaelS,

There is no confirmed memory leak and at the moment a single user is reporting such behavior.
I would recommend running the latest 8.8 release version from 24 March that has no critical issues reported for the moment.
-- Can you please explain why it is necessary for MC to be constantly logged into mcauth.com? Surely this is only necessary with a new logon to check authority of the user to do so? From network activity mcauth.com appears to be sent continuos data, why and what exactly is being sent?
That is done for security reasons.
_ Can you please explain why it takes 2 minutes + for MC to shutdown.
The time it takes to close MultiCharts and all of its processes depends on the amount of bars, indicators, signals you were using. Once you close MultiCharts and its applications it starts to unload the data you have used and to save the cached data to the local database. The «speed» of this procedure is also dependent from your PC hardware.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 04 Apr 2014

Henry, I still haven't been able to replicate this issue. When I can isolate it, I'll let you know, but please understand that there IS an issue. I didn't post those screen shots of MC sucking up 99% of a computer's memory to waste anyone's time.

-It's happened on 2 of my servers, 2 of my personal computers, my partner's computer, and on a client's computer. It also looks like others here are having the issue. (all of which use different data providers and have completely different charting)

-Its randomly happened through all versions of MC (I've been here since MC 6)

-I see several posts on here about it. Here's just a couple:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11257&hilit=download+link
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22360&hilit=memory+leak
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45664&hilit=memory+leak

That's enough to call it a verified issue in my book. If that's at all debatable, its definitely not just "one user reporting the problem"

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 04 Apr 2014

Henry, I still haven't been able to replicate this issue. When I can isolate it, I'll let you know, but please understand that there IS an issue. I didn't post those screen shots of MC sucking up 99% of a computer's memory to waste anyone's time.

-It's happened on 2 of my servers, 2 of my personal computers, my partner's computer, and on a client's computer. It also looks like others here are having the issue. (all of which use different data providers and have completely different charting)

-Its randomly happened through all versions of MC (I've been here since MC 6)

-I see several posts on here about it. Here's just a couple:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11257&hilit=download+link
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22360&hilit=memory+leak
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45664&hilit=memory+leak

That's enough to call it a verified issue in my book. If that's at all debatable, its definitely not just "one user reporting the problem"

Matric,
Before MC found a solution, if there is one here is what I do.
- Reduce the numbers of bars
- One chart per workspace or a max of 2

If you work on a very low time scale, you may have to close and reload your chart every day after the market is close

Problem may, I say may come not from a memory leak, but an accumulation of data in the cache.

Data came from
- Individual bars
- MC indicators code design

I remember that I was able to reduce my memory usage by re-coding or changing the design of my program. Can't say what I changed. It was more than 3 years ago. I don't use anymore that indicator.

Good luck and have a nice weekend

Martin

Good luck

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 04 Apr 2014

Martin,

Thank you for the suggestions.

The recent screen instance where MC sucked up 15.9 gigs of memory was actually in offline mode and MC had been running for only a few minutes. So no ticks had even come into the platform... and so no strategies/indicators were being calculated on incoming ticks.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 06 Apr 2014

and it did it again! On the startup of the platform and it lasted about 10 minutes before it cleared itself. So this one seems to have something to do with loading all my charts. BUT, it consumed 99% of my 16gbs of ram. (not normal for any process and I don't have that many charts up)

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 07 Apr 2014

Matricks

- Try to erase your history
- Load your chart one by one to see if one of them is causing the problem. I had one a corrupt workspace that was using a lot of memory. I killed it and restart from scatch with a new name. Once all working fine, I rename it to the initial one

- Try to reduce your # bars. Is it necessary to load for example (I was doing that) 500 ticks charts for EurUsd and look back 4 months ago... no. So now, when I'm looking at a very low time scale, I will start my charts at max 5 days.

- Last suggestion, have a chat with MC team support. They could take control your PC and see live what is the problem. Great service from them in my case.

Martin

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 07 Apr 2014

Martin, Thank you again for your suggestions.

A couple of points that are of importance:

1. I load the same charts every time. This has happened a total of 4 times on this particular computer (that I know of).

2. This has happened on my trading server multiple times and I do not load more than a day or two of data on there and have a completely different data source and setup.

3. The entire point of having an automated platform is to load years of data and run tests on it so I have a hard to saying that this is at all my fault for having historical charts.

4. Regardless what I'm running on my end, there should be NOTHING in a piece of software like this that would consume 16gb of RAM. In the past, I've run some seriously extensive tests and booted up some 10 year back-tests on 1 tick data. This didn't happen then....

5. This issue seems pretty random.

arjfca

Another idea, you could send your worspace to MC, they will be able to replicate your setup.

Have a chat with them and ask how to send and to whom your workspace.
Chat https://www.multicharts.com/discussio ... &t=46254#

Not more idea to help you. Good luck

Martin

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 07 Apr 2014

I could, but I don't know how helpful that would be since I've witnessed this happening on multiple PCs with different workspaces, strategies, indicators, and data sources.

I appreciate all your suggestions though :)

arjfca

Their engineer may have other tool than us to pin point the problem. They have designed the software so they may know where to look for.

If you sent your workspace, they could replicate your setup

They may suggest idea on how to reduce the incidence. In my case, it worth the time that I spent with them. I have a better understanding of MC limitation. The service is included with the purchase of the licence, so why not using it.

Martin

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 08 Apr 2014

The recent screen instance where MC sucked up 15.9 gigs of memory was actually in offline mode and MC had been running for only a few minutes. So no ticks had even come into the platform... and so no strategies/indicators were being calculated on incoming ticks
Just on the off chance......

This happened in offline mode for me too last week. I found out it was caused by MC trying to connect to Patsystems and not being able to. Froze everything up.

Also, It does amaze me the amount of memory that is used by MC. In terms of leaks, apart from last week I used get big ones when I was first trying to make connections with Pats about a year ago (but failing). Also when I first started printing to files from workspaces and mapping to Ascii files I noticed a significant pick up in memory usage.

I have everything streamlined as best possible now (minimal histories and so on).

You might want to open up quotemanager and the OPT logs page when you first start up to see what MC is trying access. Maybe Quotemanager is trying to make a connection with a dataprovider or broker and is getting into a memory draining loop.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Apr 2014

MAtricks, if you want us to study this case in more details please provide the information requested in post #14. That is also recommended to come to our live chat to demonstrate the abnormal memory usage in realtime.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 08 Apr 2014

Thank you Henry.

I don't really want to look further into my case. I just wanted to let MC know the software can eat up 99% of our memory at times.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 08 Apr 2014

All the computers that I work on have experienced this. Some for a very short amount of time which could easily be missed.

3 of the 4 computers run nothing but MC (even different OS') and their data provider (which are all different). Of course we can also include the several posts by other users as well.

Common variable: MC

These MC guys are great at what they do. They'll find it and fix it :)

As I say, I'm in no rush.. I just like to notify Henry and Andrew when I see something that's not quite right. When and if I find new information, I will post it as I have been.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 22 May 2014

I have several tick charts open right now and you can see MC slowly consume the memory http://screencast.com/t/tJbRnCGVm

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 22 May 2014

I suffer this too. But they can't replicate on their end, I'm told. My memory usage slowloy builds throughout the day, every day.

If I work with order book level code and Patsystems low timeframe data then it ramps up quite quickly.

MAtricks

I started killing my windows 1 by 1. It was being caused by a small point bar chart which went back to 1/1/2013. As soon as I closed that window, things were good again.

However, it happened this morning and I didn't have that chart open.

The issue is there within the Multicharts software regardless of how its caused.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 22 May 2014

I suffer this too. But they can't replicate on their end, I'm told. My memory usage slowloy builds throughout the day, every day.

If I work with order book level code and Patsystems low timeframe data then it ramps up quite quickly.
I use to have a similar problem. My solution is to reduce the # bars on my chart to only the relevant part. If I look to a 1 minute chart, I don't need to look at one month back. I will look at one week max.

Sure, I would like to have not to play with my chart, but since I start that practice, I never had any problem with MC regarding this problem.

Martin

MAtricks

Martin, I see the workaround. -Don't push the software. But the fact is that this is an error in the software and it should be fixed. I beat the #$% out of other programs and nothing else leaks on my machine.

I'm not in need of a workaround :) I just want MC to finally believe that there's an issue within the platform.

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 22 May 2014

I see the leak start as soon as I open a DOM and nothing else. MC have witnessed it on my machine but can't reproduce it on theirs. But then again they don't have a live Pats account.

MAtricks

Mine happens with TS data, CQG data, and/or Rithmic data.. Some live accounts, some no accounts. MC leaks with each of these so I doubt that broker/data connection is the issue.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 May 2014

I have several tick charts open right now and you can see MC slowly consume the memory http://screencast.com/t/tJbRnCGVm
Hello MAtricks,

What is the scenario of replicating this behavior?
Is there auto trading/manual trading/backtesting/forward testing/playback/optimization running?
Were you able to isolate the source of this behavior?

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 28 May 2014

Sometimes its as simple as turning on MC. I watch the memory slowly or quickly leak away.
Is there auto trading/manual trading/backtesting/forward testing/playback/optimization running?
None of the above in most scenarios. My work machine just sits there with charts as I work on code. My trading server trades live and doesn't receive this bug nearly as much, but I've seen it happen 6 times where the memory of my trading machine was at 99%. There is no additional software installed on that machine.
I see it on my work machine about once a week. I restart MC and it clears up.
This particular incident was cleared as I started closing windows in my workspaces. I noticed the leak completely stopped when I closed a chart which had very small range bars on it and 6 months of history. Odd because I've used that chart and similar charts running back 8 years and haven't had issues.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 31 May 2014

Maybe the workspace was corupted ... Try creating a new one.. I always make backups of my regular Workspaces...(under a new name) ...
I've had corrupted workspaces act very strangely...(while looking normal)..

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 01 Jun 2014

That same workspace has been back up since I restarted it. No issue so far so I doubt its corrupted.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 01 Jun 2014

That same workspace has been back up since I restarted it. No issue so far so I doubt its corrupted.
Have you try to use the same indicator, same scale with a new chart. Meaning restart to create the same workspace under a new name

I had once resolved a memory overload problem with that, but in your case, the way that you had described your problem, i think to reload the chart at a given interval is the best way.

Good luck

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 01 Jun 2014

I've tried all of the above.

As I say, the issue has been apparent on multiple machines which run completely different data feeds, strategies, charts, workspaces, and MC licenses. On some machines it happens once a week and on others its happened 1-2 times.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 06 Jun 2014

An idea to test Matrick

In your chart, showing a define bars number instead showing bars from a given date & time

Right click on chart, select format instrument
In setting, select Data Range. Chose a given numbers of bars back

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/21599/20140606-z7lf-54kb

With it, maybe you may limit the memory usage and reduce or eliminate the problem

Martin

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 06 Jun 2014

Thanks Martin :)

As I say though, it doesn't really affect me.. I don't worry about it. I was just showing that there is a problem. Regardless what an individual is doing with their software, the software shouldn't consume 16gb of memory.

PatrickSocal

Postby PatrickSocal » 12 Jun 2014

This problem with memory usage seems to continue to persist in new releases. I'm using the new 9.0 Beta 1, and MC just completely took over my machine and made it unusable for about an hour. Here are screenshots:

My machine is a Lenovo W530 with 500GB SSD and 32 GB of memory. (Plus high-end video and CPU.) The MultiCharts64 process suddenly took *all* the physical memory and caused the machine to start swapping frantically. The next screenshot shows how quickly this process occurred:

Immediately before this happened, I updated a chart that had a simple strategy on it. I formatted the instrument settings, and changed the data startdate from 1/1/2013 to 1/1/2006. I was using TS as a data source for that symbol. The resolution was 1 Hour.

Is there any remedy you suggest? Is the MultiCharts team looking into MC's memory issues?
Attachments
MC64 Memory Growth.png
(56.62 KiB) Downloaded 10646 times
MC64 Memory Footprint.png
(39.83 KiB) Downloaded 10656 times

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 16 Jun 2014

The occurrence seems to after a change in the look back period of a chart.

I created a new 15 minute chart from today's date back to 2008. Nothing went wrong. I then changed the starting date to 2006. MC immediately consumed 99% of my 16gbs of RAM. After a restart, I changed the starting date from 2006 to June 1 2014 (2 weeks ago) and MC again gobbled up all of my memory.

Even so, this obviously doesn't happen every time... But hopefully it helps with Patrick (previous post) and I having the same cause.

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 02 Jul 2014

Is there any remedy you suggest? Is the MultiCharts team looking into MC's memory issues?
????

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Jul 2014

This problem with memory usage seems to continue to persist in new releases. I'm using the new 9.0 Beta 1, and MC just completely took over my machine and made it unusable for about an hour.
Are there particular steps to replicate it easily?

zammo

Postby zammo » 08 Jul 2014

Henry I have had this issue a few times this week too... Please see attached screenshot. This is on the 9.0 beta

I have been able to replicate the issue a few times by loading a chart with a strategy already in the template.....

While the chart is still backfilling, select format instruments and change the instrument to something else... Seems it must still be while the first chart is loading data..

Memory goes crazy and computer becomes unresponsive for a good while until the memory leak seems to correct itself slowly...

Maybe this can help pinpoint whats going wrong somewhere?

Zammo
Attachments
memoryleak2.png
(306 KiB) Downloaded 9630 times

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 08 Jul 2014

Henry,

Recently, we isolated this to when anything about the data was changed. Look back, bar type, symbol, or data feed. I noted this in a previous post. However, the issue didn't occur every time which was frustrating.

PatrickSocal has now taken it one step further.

1. Create a window and apply any strategy to it
2. Open a back-test performance report and leave it open (this was the missing link)
3. Change any setting to the data of this window (look back period, symbol, bar type)

So the simple workaround for MC users is to close performance reports before changing your data settings.

Another thing to note is that this is how we can create the immediate memory take over, but there is still a very infrequent slow consumption of memory by MC for an unknown reason.

whew... Now onto the CPU usage bug in 9.0....

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Jul 2014

Henry I have had this issue a few times this week too... Please see attached screenshot. This is on the 9.0 beta
I have been able to replicate the issue a few times by loading a chart with a strategy already in the template.....
While the chart is still backfilling, select format instruments and change the instrument to something else... Seems it must still be while the first chart is loading data..
Memory goes crazy and computer becomes unresponsive for a good while until the memory leak seems to correct itself slowly...
Maybe this can help pinpoint whats going wrong somewhere?
Zammo
Hello Zammo,

This issue has been already confirmed. The fix is targeted to MultiCharts 9.0 Release Candidate.
So the simple workaround for MC users is to close performance reports before changing your data settings.
Yes, this workaround works ok.

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 15 Jul 2014

but there is still a very infrequent slow consumption of memory by MC for an unknown reason.
Where are we with this MC? Have you accepted this as a bug yet?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Jul 2014

but there is still a very infrequent slow consumption of memory by MC for an unknown reason.
Where are we with this MC? Have you accepted this as a bug yet?
Such behavior has been neither demonstrated remotely nor information for replicating it was provided. There is no definite use case describing/demonstrating this behavior. If you have a use case please come to our live chat to demonstrate it or provide the information requested in post #14 of this thread.

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 17 Jul 2014

Such behavior has been neither demonstrated remotely nor information for replicating it was provided. There is no definite use case describing/demonstrating this behavior. If you have a use case please come to our live chat to demonstrate it or provide the information requested in post #14 of this thread.
I trust you've simply made a mistake there Henry? I sincerely hope the clock has not just been rolled back months?! I have indeed demonstrated it. I have also sent you full logs reports and pictures on at least 10 occassions. Also workspaces, code etc etc etc!!!

I actually spent about an hour sitting here while you ran a remote session studying the gradual memory leak in action!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You said you wanted to borrow a Pats account to run on your end to fix it. Remember now????? What is happening here?!!!!!!!!

I've done countless remote sessions demonstrating lots of issues surrounding MC + Pats. Is it because I haven't been so vocal in the last couple of months that you've suddenly forgotten all of this. Wowww!!!

There's also the issue of Pats data slowdowns and ladder freezes. Again demonstrated! You yourself told me it was with Patwrapper.exe process locking out. There is clearly work to be done surrounding the Pats API/Patwrapper and I'm still waiting!

I understand all platforms will have issues to iron out but please don't make it look like I'm making things up, when I've been waiting months for a fix!!!!! Soooo infinitely frustrated!!!!

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Jul 2014

I trust you've simply made a mistake there Henry? I sincerely hope the clock has not just been rolled back months?! I have indeed demonstrated it. I have also sent you full logs reports and pictures on at least 10 occassions. Also workspaces, code etc etc etc!!!

I actually spent about an hour sitting here while you ran a remote session studying the gradual memory leak in action!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You said you wanted to borrow a Pats account to run on your end to fix it. Remember now????? What is happening here?!!!!!!!!

I've done countless remote sessions demonstrating lots of issues surrounding MC + Pats. Is it because I haven't been so vocal in the last couple of months that you've suddenly forgotten all of this. Wowww!!!

There's also the issue of Pats data slowdowns and ladder freezes. Again demonstrated! You yourself told me it was with Patwrapper.exe process locking out. There is clearly work to be done surrounding the Pats API/Patwrapper and I'm still waiting!

I understand all platforms will have issues to iron out but please don't make it look like I'm making things up, when I've been waiting months for a fix!!!!! Soooo infinitely frustrated!!!!
wilkinsw, I am well aware of your issues and have seen your memory leak. I have requested you to come to our live chat to continue the analysis of your memory issue in MC 9.0 beta 2 thread.

My reply was targeted to the memory issue Matricks is describing (which you were quoting and asking about), which has not been fully reported and has not been confirmed. This has nothing to do with your case. We do not know if Matricks issue is the same as your memory issue. You cannot mix two cases and think they are the same until it is confirmed by the developers.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 17 Jul 2014

My reply was targeted to the memory issue Matricks is describing (which you were quoting and asking about), which has not been fully reported and has not been confirmed.
This is where the leak discussion ended:
Sometimes its as simple as turning on MC. I watch the memory slowly or quickly leak away.
None of the above in most scenarios. My work machine just sits there with charts as I work on code. My trading server trades live and doesn't receive this bug nearly as much, but I've seen it happen 6 times where the memory of my trading machine was at 99%. There is no additional software installed on that machine.
I see it on my work machine about once a week. I restart MC and it clears up.
This particular incident was cleared as I started closing windows in my workspaces. I noticed the leak completely stopped when I closed a chart which had very small range bars on it and 6 months of history. Odd because I've used that chart and similar charts running back 8 years and haven't had issues.
Henry, if you would like more information, please request it. I haven't found a pattern which replicates this behavior regularly.

PatrickSocal and I finally isolated what causes the immediate consumption of memory. Very annoying bug.. But that isn't the dangerous one. The gradual consumption of memory has occurred during live trading and we had no knowledge that MC wasn't functioning properly until a trading error happened.

hairyMug

Postby hairyMug » 22 Jul 2014

I finally got my auto-trading system running and auto trading last week and am also having this issue. I am running on a VPS with 4 gig and by the time the trading day ends, the free memory is swapping out to keep running...
I have 20 charts running @ 5 minute intervals and 4000 bars history using "barchart" & interactive brokers.
On startup (after connecting to TWS) MC uses 575k; this is at 6:30 am
By the time I get back @ 5:30 pm, MC is using 2,788k !!
That's an average growth of 200k per hour! Only 5-6 trades (with moving stops) were placed, so it's not like it was working hard...

I have attached a "png" showing the task-manager list with memory...

This is happening consistently every day for the past week...
Attachments
start.png
(26.4 KiB) Downloaded 9642 times

TJ

Postby TJ » 22 Jul 2014

I finally got my auto-trading system running and auto trading last week and am also having this issue. I am running on a VPS with 4 gig ...
::
4 GB is barely enough for the OS and the VPS. :-(

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 22 Jul 2014

4000 gb of RAM isn't enough to run MC with these memory bugs. :)

hairyMug

Postby hairyMug » 24 Jul 2014

With all the other "undocumented features"...

this is the straw that broke the camel's back...

I'm moving to yet another platform...

>> I'm a programmer by trade, and it is unbelievable how hard it is to find a good, stable platform... spent many hours (and dollars) getting my strategies profitable (according to the backtesters) but I cannot execute...
(and I'm working with 5 minute bars)

Best of luck...

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 24 Jul 2014

It does seem like these real time issues have been more apparent in the recent versions of MC.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 25 Jul 2014

I finally got my auto-trading system running and auto trading last week and am also having this issue. I am running on a VPS with 4 gig and by the time the trading day ends, the free memory is swapping out to keep running...
I have 20 charts running @ 5 minute intervals and 4000 bars history using "barchart" & interactive brokers.
That's an average growth of 200k per hour! Only 5-6 trades (with moving stops) were placed, so it's not like it was working hard...

Question and suggestion: Do you need to reference to the 4000 bars back in your code. If not reducing it may help you.

Or at least, try to reduce the # of charts to the most relevant one until you find a way to resolve the memory problem

If I recall, MC 64 version may get an higher memory space available

Good luck and happy trading

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 25 Jul 2014

Please tell me what version of MultiCharts .NET are you using so I can help you. Go to Help -> About MultiCharts .NET and tell me exact version and build number.

hairyMug

Postby hairyMug » 25 Jul 2014

MultiCharts .NET64 Version 8.8 Release (Build 9191)

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 25 Jul 2014

The CPU and RAM usage were significantly optimized in MultiCharts .NET 9.0 beta 2. Please update to this version and let me know about the RAM usage with it.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 29 Jul 2014

If you do take Henry's advice, please take note that at least one of the the memory bugs are still in 9.0. Take the suggested steps of closing all performance reports before changing any data settings. If this step isn't taken, MC will consume 99% of your memory and you'll have to kill its processes to get the memory back which will throw away any unsaved work.

I'm sure this will be fixed soon. I recently reported a processing bug in 9.0 and Henry got a hotfix sent to me within a couple days :)

Henry,

Recently, we isolated this to when anything about the data was changed. Look back, bar type, symbol, or data feed. I noted this in a previous post. However, the issue didn't occur every time which was frustrating.

PatrickSocal has now taken it one step further.

1. Create a window and apply any strategy to it
2. Open a back-test performance report and leave it open (this was the missing link)
3. Change any setting to the data of this window (look back period, symbol, bar type)

Another thing to note is that this is how we can create the immediate memory take over, but there is still a very infrequent slow consumption of memory by MC for an unknown reason.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 29 Jul 2014

The CPU and RAM usage were significantly optimized in MultiCharts .NET 9.0 beta 2. Please update to this version and let me know about the RAM usage with it.
Was this improvement in RAM/CPU usage done for MC regular also or was it done only for MC.NET ?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 30 Jul 2014

Henry, if you would like more information, please request it. I haven't found a pattern which replicates this behavior regularly. PatrickSocal and I finally isolated what causes the immediate consumption of memory. Very annoying bug.But that isn't the dangerous one.
If you do take Henry's advice, please take note that at least one of the the memory bugs are still in 9.0. Take the suggested steps of closing all performance reports before changing any data settings. If this step isn't taken, MC will consume 99% of your memory and you'll have to kill its processes to get the memory back which will throw away any unsaved work.

I'm sure this will be fixed soon. I recently reported a processing bug in 9.0 and Henry got a hotfix sent to me within a couple days :)
Immediate consumption caused by changing the data range while strategy report is open will be fixed in MultiCharts 9.0 Beta3.
The gradual consumption of memory has occurred during live trading and we had no knowledge that MC wasn't functioning properly until a trading error happened.
As for this behavior - we are constantly improving the application to avoid memory leaks and for reducing the amount of memory used by MultiCharts.exe and TradingServer.exe. The latest achievements we have can be found in MultiCharts/.NET 9.0 beta 2. MAtricks, please run beta 2 with the hotfix I sent you and let me know if you still have any memory leaks.

Henry MultiСharts

Was this improvement in RAM/CPU usage done for MC regular also or was it done only for MC.NET ?
These improvements can be found in both applications MultiCharts and MultiCharts .NET.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 30 Jul 2014

Immediate consumption caused by changing the data range while strategy report is open will be fixed in MultiCharts 9.0 Beta3.
When are you releasing beta3 ? I thought next in line was MC9.0 release candidate.
As for this behavior - we are constantly improving the application to avoid memory leaks and for reducing the amount of memory used by MultiCharts.exe and TradingServer.exe. The latest achievements we have can be found in MultiCharts/.NET 9.0 beta 2. MAtricks, please run beta 2 with the hotfix I sent you and let me know if you still have any memory leaks.
Is this hotfix included in MC9.0 beta2 download on the web now or are you sending it to every client individually.

Henry MultiСharts

When are you releasing beta3 ? I thought next in line was MC9.0 release candidate.
The roadmap has been slightly corrected. We will have beta 3 before RC. There is no ETA for beta 3 at the moment.
Is this hotfix included in MC9.0 beta2 download on the web now or are you sending it to every client individually.
This hotfix is not about memory usage, it is about chart lag. It is sent individually to the users that have the issue. It will be included in beta 3.

SysInv

Postby SysInv » 30 Jul 2014

I had the same issue a while back, that MC kept consuming memory. It was running on Windows Server installations, and it was the O/S that caused this. We tried on various versions of it, and all of them had the same issue - usually within 3-4 days all the memory (16gb) was used up and it crashed.

The exact same setup on Windows 7, installed on a server, showed a rather steady memory consumption instead (around 3 gb), so in our case we could conclude that MC wasn't suitable for Windows Server (although MC replied that it should work fine). Since many of the posts in this trade are taking about VPS I assume you're running a version of Windows Server as well. Until MC has resolved this issue I would suggest installing Windows 7 on the server instead.

Recent days we've had a few crashes on the server though, which is not due to memory consumption, and I've email Henry regarding this.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 30 Jul 2014

Thank you for your suggestions.

This has primarily been happening on my work pc which has Windows 7. More infrequent occurances have been on our server which is Windows Server 2008.

I don't think that the OS is the cause.. :( I wish it were!

9.0 beta2 has helped with the slow consumption of memory.. I actually haven't had an issue with this since upgrading.

My primary concerns are now with 9.0 and making it safe to use. The issues in 9.0 don't seem to be memory based (except for the back-test bug), but more processing problems. When the markets accelerate MC has a hard time keeping up. Henry and I are currently working on these issues and the most obvious ones have already been fixed :)

hairyMug

Postby hairyMug » 03 Aug 2014

Henry,
You ask that I download beta 2 BUT when I attempted to import my formula into the editor, it seems that it is the standard MC editor, NOT the "Net" version...

This will do nothing for me as I cannot run any of my signals...

I did also try the latest 8.8 version buy the memory started climbing before opening and workspaces...

Very disappointing...

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 04 Aug 2014

Henry,
You ask that I download beta 2 BUT when I attempted to import my formula into the editor, it seems that it is the standard MC editor, NOT the "Net" version...

This will do nothing for me as I cannot run any of my signals...

I did also try the latest 8.8 version buy the memory started climbing before opening and workspaces...

Very disappointing...
Hairy,

if you use the Power Language version, install the Power Language version

If you use the .NET version, install the .NET version

I don't think that installing the incorrect platform is the fault of the platform :)

hairyMug

Postby hairyMug » 04 Aug 2014

MAtricks,
I thought the same thing and I thought I did download the ".Net" version...
I will try again...

Mystery solved; when I went to the beta topic, I switched to the normal MC...
My apologies Henry.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 04 Aug 2014

Hopefully the new 9.0 will help you out with some of the issues you were having. Its getting better and better...

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 04 Oct 2014

Any updates here ?

Is everything working ok now ?

Memory issues resolved ?

thanks
Shane

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Oct 2014

All known memory issues have been resolved in MultiCharts 9.0 Release.

TA100

Postby TA100 » 16 Oct 2014

"All known memory issues have been resolved in MultiCharts 9.0 Release."

Oh dear Henry, this is not my experience at all.

I increased my Ram to 16 Gb and MC wants to use it all up.

Whats more I'm spending all my time trying to free up Ram. If MC stays on overnight its Ram useage increases by 5 GB. Nightmare. I dont know how to downgrade versions..will see.

I just cannot understand why this memory leak issue has not been sorted after all this time its been mentioned in this thread - its like a ferry with bow doors open, wheels that fly off cars because the nuts weren't tightened....creates days of agrravation

I'm using 9.0 Release (Build 10014)

Win 7 Pro
i7 cpu

2 desktops, 8 & 9 workspaces each, 4 charts per wkspace, max 4 days data per chart

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 17 Oct 2014

Although they are better, the memory problems are definitely not completely fixed.

MichaelS- I was having similar issues with 9.0. I guessed that in my hundreds of windows within my workspaces, I had a corrupted one so I went through the horrible process of creating fresh windows from scratch and copied all my previous windows. This fixed the issues you've posted about.

The issues I still have are when I load up charts dating back a while. MC will suck up 99% of my ram while loading these charts, and then go back down to the normal ~30% and work well from then on. I don't remember this problem being in previous versions of MC.

At this point, it seems like MC should have a monitor on its processes to reduce its load if they ever consume over 80% of the machines memory. I've never run into any software that can suck up 32gbs of ram... let alone on a regular basis.

TA100

Postby TA100 » 17 Oct 2014

Thank you MA tricks. I've rebuilt the desktops but not the individual charts so I'll give that a go.

And you are right - MC should copy TS and have a continuosly running LOAD app which gives the memory load for each workspace, in fact in TS its by graph/workspace/desktop so you can be 100% sure where the problem graph lies and any changes you make impact on load factor can be seen immediately - I have to say the TS LOAD facility saves days of aggravation so I hope MC introduce something soon.

Another suggestion, since MC appears to be designed to suck up 100% of available RAM is to have a global button on loading to set the data required by workspace/desktop to the number of days.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 17 Oct 2014

"A continuosly running LOAD app" is a great idea..(thanks MichaelS for the suggestion)..
Sometimes I'll have a coding mistake that causes MC to slow to a crawl and it's a huge pain to figure out where the problem is, when you have 15 charts and a dozen studies on each...
Being able to narrow it down to 1 window (or even 1 workspace) would be great..

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 17 Oct 2014

Thank you MA tricks. I've rebuilt the desktops but not the individual charts so I'll give that a go.

And you are right - MC should copy TS and have a continuosly running LOAD app which gives the memory load for each workspace, in fact in TS its by graph/workspace/desktop so you can be 100% sure where the problem graph lies and any changes you make impact on load factor can be seen immediately - I have to say the TS LOAD facility saves days of aggravation so I hope MC introduce something soon.

Another suggestion, since MC appears to be designed to suck up 100% of available RAM is to have a global button on loading to set the data required by workspace/desktop to the number of days.
I just put in a feature request that will display the memory used by each workspace, along with number of charts/T&S/DOM for each workspace. Please vote as this feature will allow us to quickly figure out which workspace is using how much memory. I haven't asked MC team to give us memory numbers at chart level, since I think even getting memory numbers at workspace level will be very helpful. My thought is that implementing something like this will be faster than implementing a solution like TS LOAD.

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1773

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 18 Oct 2014

Memory issues have returned with the latest build for me.

This is very discouraging to me.

I am testing all of my strategies on TS to see if they will have the same problems.

TS is a bit of a resource hog also. But it has good monitoring abilities.

I do not understand all of the memory issues. I am very discouraged.

Shane

TA100

Postby TA100 » 19 Oct 2014

" I have to say the TS LOAD facility saves days of aggravation so I
I just put in a feature request that will display the memory used by each workspace, along with number of charts/T&S/DOM for each workspace. Please vote as this feature will allow us to quickly figure out which workspace is using how much memory. I haven't asked MC team to give us memory numbers at chart level, since I think even getting memory numbers at workspace level will be very helpful. My thought is that implementing something like this will be faster than implementing a solution like TS LOAD.
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1773
Thanks Hilbert - oddly when I try and vote it logs me out of the Forum. But that has likely something to do with almost no Ram left on my PC with MC loaded up. Christ using MC is like going back to 1995 - NO CONTROL. Something needs to be done FAST else MC should give the choice of free upgrades to .NET versions.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 20 Oct 2014

MichaelS, did you try rebuilding individual charts?

If that did not help - please come to our live chat to demonstrate this behavior remotely Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 3 pm EST.
Memory issues have returned with the latest build for me.
This is very discouraging to me.
I am testing all of my strategies on TS to see if they will have the same problems.
TS is a bit of a resource hog also. But it has good monitoring abilities.
I do not understand all of the memory issues. I am very discouraged.
Shane
We are currently analyzing this behavior. We will get back to you once we have any updates.

TA100

Postby TA100 » 20 Oct 2014

""MichaelS, did you try rebuilding individual charts?

If that did not help - please come to our live chat to demonstrate this behavior remotely Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 3 pm EST.""

I'm getting by by the skin of my teeth having rebuilt the workspaces and zapped any real hogs - like E-Mini S&P, too many ticks so binned that.

Thanks Henry, I do hope MC can sort out

a) an app / menu icon which will give the Ram Loading for each workspace and graph by symbol - that will save so much time.

b) allow users to set the max Ram useage for MC

I was thinking of upgrading to 32 Gig ram but there seems little point if MC says thanks I'll have that - what next 64 Gig? Where does the Ram fest stop?

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 20 Oct 2014

32gb will not help you. MC will consume 99% of it as it does with my 32gb.

Hopefully it will get fixed for good this time. Please take some of the suggestions into consideration.

TA100

Postby TA100 » 20 Oct 2014

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1773[/quote]

Here is a pic of the TS Utilization Monitor - I cant send a url as TS ensures that defaults to gobbledegook.
TS_Utilization Monitor.PNG
(155.1 KiB) Downloaded 9648 times
As you may notice the monitor can drill down to Desktop\workspace\chart analysis\Analysis Technique - pretty damned nifty to short circuit the nightmare of NOT KNOWING where the problem is - be nice to have an MC version of this.....no rush!!!!!

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 22 Oct 2014

MichaelS, please come to our live chat when this behavior is replicated to demonstrate it remotely (Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 2:45 pm EST) or do the following:
Go to Start->All programs->MultiCharts->LogsCollector.
The tool will collect the logs, create dump files, zip them and save them in user specified location. Please dismiss uploading to FTP and manually upload it to any file sharing hosting and send us (support@multicharts.com) the download link.

After that is done you can end the processes and restart MultiCharts and send us the following information:
Which process is consuming the RAM?
What is the amount of RAM used?
How long did it take to get this amount of memory utilized?

Please provide the following information for further investigation:
- in QuoteManager select the symbol syou are using, make a right click on any of them->Export data->Export instruments (with data). Send us the QMD export file for analysis;
- in PowerLanguage editor->File->Export->export with dependent functions the studies you are using in the workspaces you are providing. Send us the study export file.
- if you are using any 3rd party DLLs in your studies - please attach them;
- screenshot of Control Panel\System and Security\System

If the file size is >10 mb please upload it to any file sharing hosting and send us the download link.

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 27 Nov 2014

I upgraded to MC9.0 last week.

Same workspaces, but memory consumption has worsened.

I turned on file cache yesterday and still tsserver.exe usage climbs at the rate of 0.1mb per second until I'm forced to restart MC.

Any tips?

TJ

Postby TJ » 27 Nov 2014

I turned on file cache yesterday and still tsserver.exe usage climbs at the rate of 0.1mb per second until I'm forced to restart MC.
Any tips?
I would give the following test a try...

1. load one wsp first, wait a while, then adding additional wsp one at a time... to see if any one of them is causing the memory leak.

2. re-build the wsp from the ground up... one indicator at a time... to see if one of the indicators is causing the problem. (I doubt an indicator can cause memory leak, unless it calls a dll and the dll goes astray? ...but you'd never know unless you tried.)

3. Worst case scenario... does the memory increase with a blank MC? or with data only and no indicator? or the memory leaks regardless what indicator you applied?

I am not sure if the above would help, but if it were my computer, this is what I would try.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 27 Nov 2014

Any tips?
- Try to kill the workspace and start a new one with the same chart and same indicators. Sometime it help.

- Also, reduce if possible the history ( numbers of bars) to the relevant one for your indicators need.

What I usually do now is configure to display 500 bars instead of a given date and time. So whenever I play with my scale and go a a low time frame, I won't end up with 3000 bars in my history and bust MC

Good luck

Martin

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 27 Nov 2014

Thanks for the replies:

I've done the following:

an offline MC only observation - everything ok

an online MC only - everything ok

loaded an IQfeed live chart - everything ok

Connected to Patsystems - everything ok

Loaded a few Pats DOMs - tsserver.exe starts leaking

I remember about 1 year ago that I did a session with MC demonstrating the Pats leak. I've lived with it as tbh a once daily restart covers it.

But now, with MC9 I'm doing twice daily restarts and its excessive. I don't know why the leak would be worse now. Maybe I've got a corrupt workspace too, that would explain the faster leak????

Multicharts...... I would really appreciate it, if after all this time you could troubleshoot the Pats plugin please!

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 27 Nov 2014

The memory leaks have gone away for the most part for me. However, MC will max out my RAM while loading many tick based charts at the same time. It happens every time. The issue goes away as soon as the charts are completely loaded.

-I've rebuilt everything and removed everything except for MC bars/blocks

I personally don't care about avoiding these easily predicted low memory moments. It's easily dealt with. My issue is that the software has the capability to pig up my memory at all.

orion

Postby orion » 27 Nov 2014

I personally don't care about avoiding these easily predicted low memory moments. It's easily dealt with. My issue is that the software has the capability to pig up my memory at all.
I concur there is a memory issue with MC. Below are two test runs of portfolio trader with a "null strategy" applied to a portfolio of symbols. "Null strategy" means the strategy simply returns without generating any trades. Each symbol loaded 1M bars. Time and space required were measured. Test1 was 13 symbols * 1M bars/symbol while test2 was 130 symbols * 1M bars/symbol.

Code: Select all

Test 1 Time Memory
database load 3 min 2.0 GB
strategy calculation 1 min 2.5 GB
report calculation 0 min 2.5 GB

Test 2 Time Memory
database load 27 min 10.0 GB
strategy calculation 14 min 8.0 GB
report calculation 5 min 10.0 GB
A null strategy with no trades consumes 10GB for report calculation! I love MC. However, this is an area in which MC can do some clean up.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 Nov 2014

I concur there is a memory issue with MC. Below are two test runs of portfolio trader with a "null strategy" applied to a portfolio of symbols. "Null strategy" means the strategy simply returns without generating any trades. Each symbol loaded 1M bars. Time and space required were measured. Test1 was 13 symbols * 1M bars/symbol while test2 was 130 symbols * 1M bars/symbol.

Test 1 Time Memory
database load 3 min 2.0 GB
strategy calculation 1 min 2.5 GB
report calculation 0 min 2.5 GB

Test 2 Time Memory
database load 27 min 10.0 GB
strategy calculation 14 min 8.0 GB
report calculation 5 min 10.0 GB
A null strategy with no trades consumes 10GB for report calculation! I love MC. However, this is an area in which MC can do some clean up.
orion,

Which process is using this amount of RAM?
Are you able to replicate it each time you run backtesting for this portfolio?

Please provide the following information for further investigation (to support@multicharts.com):
- the workspace you are using for replicating this behavior;
- in QuoteManager select the symbols you are using, make a right click on any of them->Export data->Export instruments (with data). Send us the QMD export file for analysis;
- in PowerLanguage editor->File->Export->export with dependent functions the studies you are using in the workspaces you are providing. Send us the study export file.
- if you are using any 3rd party DLLs in your studies - please attach them;
- screenshot of Control Panel\System and Security\System

If the file size is >10 mb please upload it to any file sharing hosting and send us the download link.

orion

Postby orion » 28 Nov 2014

Which process is using this amount of RAM?
Are you able to replicate it each time you run backtesting for this portfolio?
Henry, this is perfectly replicable behavior using PT 9.0.10014.400. No third party DLLs involved. If you have a large database at your end, you can test without my sending you the database since it is large (GB+). If you still need my database then let me know and I will upload.

Test2 was a portfolio tree of 130 symbols * 1M bars per symbol for a total of approximately 130 million bars. The following strategy was applied in portfolio tree to all symbols. Please note that this strategy does not generate any trades; its purpose is simply to serve as a test vehicle. After configuring the portfolio tree, simply hit the backtest button in PT. Test2 consumed a total of 10 + 8 + 10 = 28GB memory across the 3 phases with 10GB memory consumed for calculation of a report that is empty since there are no trades. All memory consumption was by MCPortfolio.exe.

vars: count (0);
count += 1;
if (lastBarOnChart) then print(symbol, ",", count:0:0);
Please be sure to test with lots of symbols and lots of bars per symbol. Running 100 symbols * 1M bars/symbol is not the same as 1 symbol * 100M bars even though you have 100M bars in both cases. My testing is showing that time and space requirements scale not only with the number of total bars in test but also seem to scale as the square of the number of symbols.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 Nov 2014

orion, to start the analysis we need at least the workspace you are using. Please email it to us.

orion

Postby orion » 28 Nov 2014

orion, to start the analysis we need at least the workspace you are using. Please email it to us.
Henry, please note that, in my view, there is nothing special about my workspace and this memory issue. The tests that I posted were done more than a month ago. I did not bother posting them earlier since I felt that the memory issue is well known. Folks like MAtricks have raised the memory issue from time to time.

I was assuming that MC has its own internal test battery for stress testing and determining time and space scaling behavior. Since you have requested my workspace for analysis, I will upload both workspace and database and send you link via email. Please note that I am not expecting MC to solve this issue right away since this seems to have to do with how some of the internal data structures and code are designed.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 28 Nov 2014

Try this:

1. Create a new chart. ES, 5pt Renkos (1 tick resolution), >1 year back. (ensure that you have that data)
2. Copy and past it 11 times for a nice looking 12 window workspace.
3. Save it and close it.
4. Reopen the workspace

99% of your memory has now been consumed.

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 28 Nov 2014

MA

Is that for tick charts ?
Has this happened to you on other charts ?

Would it apply to point or range bars that are buit on tick data.?

thats some serious memory usage !

shane

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 30 Nov 2014

Try it :)

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 29 Jan 2015

The Patsystems related memory leak has now been fixed.

Thanks to Henry and the Multicharts team!

no erocla

Postby no erocla » 05 Apr 2016

I noticed today the same problem..... 31gb of 32gb of ram usage by ts server.

TJ

Postby TJ » 05 Apr 2016

I noticed today the same problem..... 31gb of 32gb of ram usage by ts server.
Please state the MultiCharts version you are using.

no erocla

Postby no erocla » 05 Apr 2016

MultiCharts64 Version 9.1 Release (Build 12411)

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 06 Apr 2016

Hello no erocla,

Which data provider/s do you use? Is it a live or a demo connection?
What are the steps to replicate it?

Please send me (support@multicharts.com) the following information for further investigation:
- in QuoteManager select the symbol you are using, make a right click on it->Export data->Export instrument (with data). Send me the QMD export file for analysis;
- screenshot of the following window: Control Panel\System and Security\System.

no erocla

Postby no erocla » 06 Apr 2016

Hi Henry,

actually i can notice this behaviour using interactive broker (paper trading) and oanda (demo) , now i'm trying with IB real account and Oanda Demo, i'll give you a feedback with this setup too.

I'm using 4/5 Portfolio Trader and 1 Multicharts with 6/7 workspaces with 4/5 charts in each of them (30/40 charts in total), with all resolutions (15 sec, 15 min, 1 hour,daily....).

When i finish to download data and run live trading i never use more then 8gb/10gb of RAM.
My RAM becomes full because of tsserver after around 12/15 hours from starting autotrading.

I think that this problem becomes from seconds time frame data (15 seconds resolution for 80daysback for 20 forex crosses).

What do you mean with:
- screenshot of the following window: Control Panel\System and Security\System ?

Best regards
No Erocla

no erocla

Postby no erocla » 06 Apr 2016

For example, using option "N" bars back, why last bar is not deleted after that a new bar is updated ? This permit to have a stable RAM consumption.

No Erocla

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Apr 2016

Hello No Erocla,

Are you using Volume Profile/Volume Delta on your charts?
How many charts/portfolios have auto trading enabled?
Have you tried running your setup without auto trading enabled?
Have you tried minimizing the environment to localize the issue?
For example, using option "N" bars back, why last bar is not deleted after that a new bar is updated ? This permit to have a stable RAM consumption.
The current platform architecture does not provide such functionality.

no erocla

Postby no erocla » 12 Apr 2016

Hello Henry,

- no
- 4 ptf trader + 5 MC charts
- no
- no

What i can say, is that now, using 1 Paper trading and 1 Real account, this problem does not occurs.

Regards
No Erocla

Return to “MultiCharts”