oanda and mc

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
drudominique

oanda and mc

Postby drudominique » 02 Aug 2010

Good morning.
then I get the flow of Oanda with MC?
Another question the flow of IB (forex) works fine with MC?
cordially

FRENCH

bonjour.
puis je récupérer le flux de oanda avec MC ?
autre question le flux de IB ( forex ) marche bien avec MC ?
cordialement

Dave Masalov

Re: oanda and mc

Postby Dave Masalov » 03 Aug 2010

Dear drudominique,

We plan to add Oanda data feed this year (probably). However, we cannot guarantee anything.

drudominique

Postby drudominique » 03 Aug 2010

Good morning.
thank you for your reply.
cordially

FRENCH

bonjour .
merci de votre réponse .
cordialement

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 06 Aug 2010

Dear drudominique,

You are welcome.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 03 Feb 2011

Dear drudominique,

We plan to add Oanda data feed this year (probably). However, we cannot guarantee anything.
Dave,

Any progress?

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 04 Feb 2011

Dear khalaad,

If you want Oanda to be supported in MultiCharts, please contact them and inform them that you want to use their service with MC. The more users tell them that they are interested in Oanda-MC bridge, the sooner it will be done.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 04 Feb 2011

Will do, and in no uncertain way.

Thank you.

flimbo

Postby flimbo » 05 Apr 2011

i also sent them request for that ! :)

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 08 Apr 2011

Thank you, flimbo. We would be open to integrating with Oanda, however the process is still where it was a while ago - at the very beginning.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 08 Apr 2011

Right now OANDA seems to be interested in nothing but MT4.

It will probably take a very large number of MultiCharts users pressing OANDA to make an impact.

In my opinion not worth the bother; OANDA is not the customer-friendly broker it was (this time last year).

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 12 Apr 2011

Maybe if a customer would tell them they would rather use free MultiCharts rather than MT, and the reasons why, maybe they would reconsider.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 12 Apr 2011

Maybe if a customer would tell them they would rather use free MultiCharts rather than MT, and the reasons why, maybe they would reconsider.
I think the customer would need to be armed with MC - MT comparison to help him / her convince Oanda (and other brokers) of MC's superiority over MT, if this customer's action is to make any effect on Oanda's (or any other broker's) decision on platform's selection.

A series of youtube vids would do fine.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 13 Apr 2011

I think the customer would need to be armed with MC - MT comparison to help him / her convince Oanda (and other brokers) of MC's superiority over MT, if this customer's action is to make any effect on Oanda's (or any other broker's) decision on platform's selection.

A series of youtube vids would do fine.
I have no doubt OANDA is fully aware what MultiCharts can do; I think their business model presently has room only for MT4.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 13 Apr 2011

I have no doubt OANDA is fully aware what MultiCharts can do; I think their business model presently has room only for MT4.
Pity. Oanda seems to be the biggest retail forex player in US registered by CFTC (Column H) as per Feb 2011.
Attachments
Data.xls
(45 KiB) Downloaded 472 times

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 14 Apr 2011

If you are interested in seeing them supported, I suggest you make a pool of interested traders on their forums, or email their sales reps, so that they notice you as users have interest in the connection. Encourage their reps to reach out to us, and we can work out the business details, and get the connection setup.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 14 Apr 2011

Encourage their reps to reach out to us, and we can work out the business details, and get the connection setup.
If you were a rep of a thriving MT broker with 5k - 20k retail clients, would you commit time and resources to seek for other platforms (even if a pool of 5-10-15 traders demanded so)? Of course you would not! - for many reasons:
- you simply have better things to do, like reading newspaper or palying sudoku on-line
- there are tens of third-party platforms; it would take ages to check them all and detrmine which is best for you and your clients;
- whatever
If you are interested in seeing them supported, I suggest you make a pool of interested traders on their forums.
Stan,

1. Making a pool of stocks and futures traders interested in MC can be easy. MC is a well-known stocks and futures platform among traders world-wide.

2. Making a pool of forex traders interested in MC is extreemely difficult. MC is not known among forex traders (even NT that is many times more popular than MC is not known among forex traders). 90-95% of retail forex traders use MT and do not care for anything else.

3. To create the substantial demand for MC among retail forex traders (who then might gain enough mass and momentum to convince their brokers), the trader who is in charge of making the pool should really dispose of highly convincing tools.

4. The quality of tools that MC avails at the moment (e.g. outdated clips on MC features) is no different than the quality of tools that competing tens of other platforms already has.

5. Currently, we MC's users are not capable to make a substantial pool and thus influence broker reps to consider MC, because of point 2. and 4.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 14 Apr 2011

Hi Tresor,

You make valid points. As you know we work hard at improving various aspects of the platform, including the videos. I was merely suggesting possible ways to make this work. From our end, I also reached out to Oanda, let's see if they will respond.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 14 Apr 2011

Hi Tresor,

You make valid points. As you know we work hard at improving various aspects of the platform, including the videos.
Yes, I know.
I was merely suggesting possible ways to make this work. From our end, I also reached out to Oanda, let's see if they will respond.
I wish you well, but I am afraid this will not work, unless your company provides you with high quality marketing* tools.

You might start by creating:
(i) Multicharts youtube channel, and
(ii) making some clips explaining / addressing:
- resolutions in MC (as compared to other platforms: you can beat MT in such a clip easily)
- multiple charts within one workspace (as compared to other platforms: you can beat MT in such a clip easily)
- multicore optimization (as compared to other platforms: you can beat MT in such a clip easily)
- playback feature (as compared to other platforms: you can beat MT in such a clip easily)
- manual order entry (as compared to other platforms: you can beat MT in such a clip easily)
- dockable order and position tracker - oops - you can't beat MT here
- your imagination and MC's limitations are the ceiling...

* the preferred way people consume information changed rapidly over the last decade. People do not like to read anymore anything above 1 page (sadly). They prefer watching pictures, heck! - above all they prefer watching motion pictures with voice telling them what they see. Youtube is a free advertising platform that can give you what you need (motion picture, static picture, voice and text communication with audience).

2 hypothetical cases:

1. If Oanda's rep asks you now how fast MC optimizes; you will write 1 page elaboration. Given American / Canadian literacy standards, it will take the guy 30 minutes to read the text, of which he will understand only 50%. After 2 weeks-time, he'll remember only 10% of what you wrote. You can forget about business with Oanda.

2. If Oanda's rep asks you in the future how fast MC optimizes; you will simply send a link to a 5 minute youtube video. After 2 weeks-time, he'll most probably manage to remember that MC optimizes startegy XYZ 5 times faster than MT.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 23 May 2011

We are currently actively talking to Oanda about connecting Oanda services to MultiCharts. It has been indicated by Oanda that they connected MT4 because of high customer demand, and that they need to build a business case for connecting MultiCharts - i.e. investigate the demand, and estimate how much business connecting to MultiCharts will bring them. They are investigating a couple of different options, including connecting to regular MultiCharts only, or MultiCharts and MCDT together.

At this point, I would advise all people that are interested in this connection to email Oanda (either sales, or business development departments), and indicate that you would like to see this connection. This will help them build a business case for connecting to MC.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 23 May 2011

It has been indicated by Oanda that they connected MT4 because of high customer demand,
There is no clear and verifiable evidence of MT4 by demand; certainly not on OANDA Forum!

My findings are OANDA MT4 is simply a revenue generating machine. Yes the MT4 spreads are exactly the same as OANDA fxTrade spreads. But the slippage for MT4 manual and auto trading is atrocious, even though I feel MT4 is a tick or so ahead of fxTrade more often than not.

Once upon a time I was keen on a OANDA and MultiCharts link.

No more; OANDA 2011 is not OANDA 2010.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 24 May 2011

I have been a MultiCharts user for very nearly 5 years. At times the going was rough; but to its great credit TS Support carried on regardless and has come out a winner. From small beginnings it now has a significant presence.

It would be in fitness of things if TS Support forges new partnerships onlyon the basis of quality with customer friendly entities even if they are small.

Although (because I live in Pakistan) they won't open my account, for Forex I wholeheartedly recommend (the fully insured, I think,) GO Markets of Australia.

And there must be others.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 25 May 2011

At this point, I would advise all people that are interested in this connection to email Oanda (either sales, or business development departments), and indicate that you would like to see this connection. This will help them build a business case for connecting to MC.
I guess Oanda is not very interested in connecting a link with MultiCharts - or their technical people are not great in communicating with the customer desk:
Hello [my name],

Thank you for contacting OANDA.

At this time, as far as we are concerned, there are no future plans to create a partnership between OANDA and MultiCharts. We do thank you for your suggestion and we'll pass it on to our development team for further consideration at a later time.

Best regards,

[name of Oanda employee]
OANDA fxTrade Team
I find the "as far as we concerned" comment interesting, but perhaps I'm reading too much in just two lines.

Nonetheless, I think it's great that MultiCharts is actively working on adding more brokers - I can't imagine what a slow and painstaking process that has to be at times. So this post is not meant to criticise - just sharing my 'experience' (and quietly hoping that/wondering if MultiCharts is pursuing more brokers which are more enthusiastic).

Regards,
Josh

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 25 May 2011

Most large companies do not announce anything until it's almost done or already done (like the TS acquisition). We are doing some exploration with Oanda, but that is the answer I would expect at this stage from the Customer Service team - they are usually advised once everything is done.

escamillo

Postby escamillo » 25 May 2011

I got the standard 'thank you' reply this week (w/o May 22, 2011) :

Ticket Number:
Short Description: MultiCharts

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting OANDA.

We appreciate your comments and suggestions regarding our fxTrade platform. Your feedback has been forwarded to our development team for further consideration.

Regards,

OANDA fxTrade Team

StratMan

Postby StratMan » 27 May 2011

Ticket Number: xxxxxxxxxxx
Short Description: MultiCharts Platform connexion

Dear xxxxxxxxxxx:

Thank you for your inquiry.

We offer fxTrade Api with this product you might be able to establish a connection to your multicharts software with our datafeed.

In order to receive the API trading libraries, you must sign for API access and pay the initial 600 USD (or equivalent) API fee (this fee is not refundable). Once the initial license fee has been paid, you are entitled to two full months of free API access as a trial period (no monthly charges will be incurred during the trial period). You may use the fxTrade Practice demo platform to test and develop your automated strategies (fxTrade Practice API access will be included with your live account API). Once the trial period has elapsed, an API fee of 600 USD a month, discounted by 50 USD for each 1 million USD of trading volume generated in the trading account, will be charged to your trading account. You can receive technical API support at anytime by sending us an email to api@oanda.com. Please note that OANDA does not provide programming support and does not review your programming code.

More details on the OANDA API solution can be found on our website here

http://fxtrade.oanda.com/forex_trading/ ... pi_trading

The following is required for API access:

Ensure your fxTrade account has a minimum balance of USD $600 or equivalent

Review, complete in full and sign the API Legal Agreement . Please complete all of Schedule A. The API legal agreement can be downloaded here:

http://fxtrade.oanda.com/shared/documen ... icense.pdf

You may fax the agreement to 1 (212) 208-4356, or email a scanned copy to api@oanda.com.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions. You may reply to this email, call us at +1-212-858-7690 or toll free at 1-877-OANDA-FX (1-877-626-3239), or via live chat by clicking on the 'Live Help' link at: http://fxtrade.oanda.com/help/

Kind Regards,
xxxxxxxxxx
OANDA fxTrade Team
http://fxtrade.oanda.com

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 27 May 2011

Thanks for the post, Stratman. The API libraries will be provided to us by Oanda if they decide to go through with the integration.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 10 Jun 2011

Deleted voluntarily.

NothingDone

Postby NothingDone » 13 Sep 2011

Dear drudominique,

Dave,

Any progress on OANDA and MC?

Thanks in advance

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 14 Sep 2011

NothingDone,

We are still planning to add Oanda to the list of supported data feeds in the future. However, there is no ETA at the moment.

StratMan

Postby StratMan » 19 Jan 2012

FYI

" We have fxTrade platform and MT 4 platform and do not have MultiCharts platform/system and is not currently planning to develop MultiChart platform/system.

OANDA Europe fxTrade Team"

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 20 Jan 2012

Stratman,

Correct. There is no progress on this yet.

t-rader

Postby t-rader » 12 Jun 2014

With all the talk around forex brokers happening in the forums here at the moment, I thought why not revive this old thread ;P (please don't hate me MC staff, love your work ;))

I've revived my Oanda account and will look to use them again (not through MC obviously) but there section within their web interface once logged into my account they request you to 'Help Us Improve' so I kindly told them a great improvement would be a connection with Multicharts :)

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 12 Jun 2014

With all the talk around forex brokers happening in the forums here at the moment, I thought why not revive this old thread ;P (please don't hate me MC staff, love your work ;))

I've revived my Oanda account and will look to use them again (not through MC obviously) but there section within their web interface once logged into my account they request you to 'Help Us Improve' so I kindly told them a great improvement would be a connection with Multicharts :)
Per my understanding of the situation (which may not be a full, or accurate, understanding) it is not for OANDA to connect to MultiCharts! But MultiCharts may to connect to OANDA via the REST API.

Khalid

StratMan

Postby StratMan » 12 Jun 2014

TSS could perhaps explain without revealing the secrets of their business ;-), what are the constraints that make Oanda is still not available on MC, while REST API is now available ? ...

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 13 Jun 2014

TSS could perhaps explain without revealing the secrets of their business ;-), what are the constraints that make Oanda is still not available on MC, while REST API is now available ? ...
We are working in this direction... ;-)

t-rader

Postby t-rader » 25 Jun 2014

The reason I reactivated my account with Oanda was because I wanted to see what their historical data is like. Thought I'd report back what its like here in case others are interested.

The Oanda historical 'tick' data is not complete tick data. After I downloaded the 'tick' data for EUR/USD from 2004-2014 I was shocked when the csv file was only 3.7 Gb. I contacted them via phone and was told they filter out ticks once they've reached a certain number of ticks per second.

t-rader

Postby t-rader » 25 Jul 2014

Hi Andrew, any update on this? not on a connection with an Oanda but in regards to StratMans question of constraints with connecting to new brokers...

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 25 Jul 2014

not on a connection with an Oanda but in regards to StratMans question of constraints with connecting to new brokers...
Now that NT has bought their own broker and their new ecosystem has significantly less supported brokers (currently only six besides the NT broker), there's even more to win for MultiCharts LLC with adding new brokers than before.

Plus, MultiCharts can market itself to potential new brokers as a broker independent alternative to NT. I would be very surprised if in this context adding new brokers still goes painfully slow.

(But that's just my personal view, of course).

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 25 Jul 2014

Sorry, this is secret so far :-P

Grigorios

Postby Grigorios » 23 Sep 2014

any news on this?

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 24 Sep 2014

any news on this?
Coming soon, please be patient. As soon as Oanda is supported, it will be announced in our blog. Thank you for understanding.

danlead

Postby danlead » 24 Sep 2014

Great, I am also waiting for the Oanda support

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 27 Sep 2014

It would be nice if this https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-298 were to be addressed when integrating with Oanda.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 29 Sep 2014

It would be nice if this https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-298 were to be addressed when integrating with Oanda.
At the moment this improvement is not scheduled for any particular version of MultiCharts, however we realize that is is important for forex traders and it will be done in a future version of the software.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 25 Oct 2014

Coming soon, please be patient. As soon as Oanda is supported, it will be announced in our blog. Thank you for understanding.
A new broker would be a welcome addition to the platform, now that MIG Bank is gone and Zen-Fire has been gone for a while now. That's two brokers less in less than a year, with no new additions (yet).

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 27 Oct 2014

coolbq

Postby coolbq » 03 Jan 2015

I've tested the newest edition of MULTICHARTS with OANDA broker supported. I met with one problem that it prompts to login to the OANDA account everytime I started the Multicharts. Is there a way to save the process?

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 05 Jan 2015

I've tested the newest edition of MULTICHARTS with OANDA broker supported. I met with one problem that it prompts to login to the OANDA account everytime I started the Multicharts. Is there a way to save the process?
That is sadly not possible:
Everytime I open MC I am requested to type my Oanda username and password. Is there a way to skip this procedure? Can username and password be saved somewhere for the purpose of logging me in automatically?
Unfortunately there is no way to skip this procedure.
Source.

Aurwandil

Postby Aurwandil » 06 Jan 2015

Does anyone use MC with Oanda?

I tried and so far the connection itself seems to be ok. I can see quotes changing and I can place Orders. But if I try to display a chart all I get is: "Establishing connection..." in the status line of the chart window. But on the right side in the 'Chart Trading section' I see changing prices and can place Orders which get executed properly. So there has to be a working connection... How can I fix this?

I also don't know how to add other intruments then Forex. Here in Europe you can also trade CFDs on indices, commodities and so on. But I don't know how to access them. The guys at Oanda say that it should be possible. Does anyone know how?

LA901

Postby LA901 » 07 Jan 2015

Does anyone use MC with Oanda?

I tried and so far the connection itself seems to be ok. I can see quotes changing and I can place Orders. But if I try to display a chart all I get is: "Establishing connection..." in the status line of the chart window. But on the right side in the 'Chart Trading section' I see changing prices and can place Orders which get executed properly. So there has to be a working connection... How can I fix this?

I also don't know how to add other intruments then Forex. Here in Europe you can also trade CFDs on indices, commodities and so on. But I don't know how to access them. The guys at Oanda say that it should be possible. Does anyone know how?
To add other instruments use the Quote Manager, all the CFD's are there for me.

I have experienced the same 'establishing connection' message too, charts eventually get updated but it can take an age to do so (20mins +). It is definitely noticeable that sometimes charts take longer to update on platform restart with the Oanda connection compared to say LMAX where it's an almost instant update.

Aurwandil

Postby Aurwandil » 07 Jan 2015

To add other instruments use the Quote Manager, all the CFD's are there for me.

I have experienced the same 'establishing connection' message too, charts eventually get updated but it can take an age to do so (20mins +). It is definitely noticeable that sometimes charts take longer to update on platform restart with the Oanda connection compared to say LMAX where it's an almost instant update.
Well, it get's even more weired... If I connect to Oanda a window pops open, I enter my username and password, I confirm that MC has access to my account and that's it. I now can see the account balance, open positions, the history and everything seems to be working fine. But if I want to open a chart then another window promts another login screen from Oanda. But this time my login doesn't work.

Same thing with the Quote Manager. If I want to add an instrument the software asks me to log in and my login gets rejected.

In order to rule out typos I copy'n'pasted both my username and my password. The first time it works. On the second window it gets rejected...

Ready for the next one? I do have an old Oanda demo account. If I change the profile settings for Oanda to Practice FX and log in with the demo account. Everything works fine. Even the charts...

But in the Quote Manager I still cannot see CFDs.

If I change back to live account same problem as before.

Any Ideas?

mcjohn

Postby mcjohn » 12 Apr 2015

Exact same problem with me. So...

What was the solution on this? I am having the problem on Oanda. Nothing has changed on the system. I use a dedicated server just for MC. The internet connection is fine. I logged into Oanda MC ok. The green light is on next to Oanda in the chart tab, just no data. Error reports:

Establishing Connection...(H:Connecting RT: Offline)

I check the Preferences for Data Server Mode and it is set to Online.

Thank you.

TJ

Postby TJ » 12 Apr 2015

One test you can try...

Make a connection to another broker.
eg. InteractiveBrokers.
They have a demo system that streams old data for testing purposes. You do not have to be a client, and there is no registration required. You can find out the detail at their website.

The purpose of this test is to see if the fault is at your MultiCharts, or if the fault is on your broker's side.
If you can connect to InteractiveBroker's demo system. Then you will know MultiCharts is working, and that your internet connect has no problems.

mcjohn

Can you give me a link? How do I get a login without registering?
Also, this does not remove all variables. It could mean that MC's link with Oanda's REST API has problems, while MC's link with IB's API does not. Right now Oanda is blaming MC and now it seems that the blame is going the other way.

mcjohn

MC Forum Operators will you fix the Thanks feature. When I click Thanks I get this error:

Fatal error: Class 'messenger' not found in /usr/home/tss/public_html/multichartscom/discussion/includes/functions_thanks.php on line 511

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 13 Apr 2015

Also, this does not remove all variables. It could mean that MC's link with Oanda's REST API has problems, while MC's link with IB's API does not. Right now Oanda is blaming MC and now it seems that the blame is going the other way.
I wouldn't bother with testing an InteractiveBrokers connection when you have trouble connection to OANDA. Like you already said, there are too much variables remaining. What you might try is to see whether real-time price data is available in OANDA's fxTrade platform. Or perhaps they have a status page or Twitter account with information about servers being down. That might give an idea whether OANDA has issues or MultiCharts has issues connecting with OANDA.

What I know from MultiCharts' OANDA implementation is that it uses Internet Explorer (see here) for login/connecting. Did you perhaps change (or update) IE recently?
MC Forum Operators will you fix the Thanks feature. When I click Thanks I get this error:

Fatal error: Class 'messenger' not found in /usr/home/tss/public_html/multichartscom/discussion/includes/functions_thanks.php on line 511
That issue has been around since 2011 (so it might not be fixed soon ;]). The error message is annoying, but if you go back in the browser and reload the page, the 'Thanks' is added to the post you clicked on (meaning, it does work - sort of :] ).

mcjohn

Postby mcjohn » 13 Apr 2015

Thanks for the information. I can login successfully, I just don't get chart data. I use FireFox, not IE. I can login to MC-Oanda, I can login to Oanda directly. I just don't get any chart data in MC. Still waiting for MC support. Good thing this was not a live account. Bad thing, this is my first week on a trial. I guess maybe TS is not so bad. At least there is support/live help during all trading hours. Oanda should require them to have more accessible support. This is making Oanda look bad as well. Still waiting for MC support.........

TJ

Postby TJ » 13 Apr 2015

Thanks for the information. I can login successfully, I just don't get chart data. I use FireFox, not IE. I can login to MC-Oanda, I can login to Oanda directly. I just don't get any chart data in MC. Still waiting for MC support. Good thing this was not a live account. Bad thing, this is my first week on a trial. I guess maybe TS is not so bad. At least there is support/live help during all trading hours. Oanda should require them to have more accessible support. This is making Oanda look bad as well. Still waiting for MC support.........
This is a forum for non time sensitive issues.

Please contact tech support directly if you need help.
https://www.multicharts.com/support/contact/

mcjohn

Postby mcjohn » 13 Apr 2015

Thanks. However, support is not open during all of trading hours, which is to bad. So I hoped for a forum solution. When support did come online they were very quick and very helpful.

ozash

Postby ozash » 20 Apr 2015

mcjohn, I am in exactly the same boat as you. I have both live and demo accounts with Oanda and got zero help with Oanda - they blamed MC which was a joke as it was their data that wasn't coming through.
To make matters worse I use Win 8.1 and cannot access their trading platform via in any browser - they said to contact microsoft.

Anyway I called MC tech support and they used teamviewer to set up everything in about ten minutes.

I still get empty charts SOMETIMES when I load MC that eventually get populated. If they don't then I exit and reload MC which often fixes the issue. Presumably Oanda have a flaky server and the re-login gets to another.
Anyway, now I just leave MC on all the time.
This is still not good enough and I am setting up a TS account to get data into MC.
Ash

Return to “MultiCharts”