Position History

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
Zoli

Position History

Postby Zoli » 27 Mar 2013

Hi,

Is anyone else witnessing bad values in the position history tab? It happens both with LMAX and CQG on my end randomly.
I attached a screenshot. The TPR is showing the correct value with commission included, 44.48, while the Position History is showing only 37.5 instead of 50 (4 ticks at 12.5 each).
Attachments
position history.png
(70.04 KiB) Downloaded 1481 times

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Position History

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 27 Mar 2013

Hello Zoli,

TPR shows the value with commission included, while Position History shows the PnL value received from broker at the moment position has changed. Commission can be not included in this value.

Zoli

Postby Zoli » 27 Mar 2013

Hi Henry,

That is correct. Let's forget the commission.
The trade's PnL is 50 dollars. TPR shows 50 correctly. The Position History shows 37.5 dollars which is not correct. It might have taken that value 1 second prior the position changing (closing), when it was in 3 ticks profit and not 4. Each tick is 12.5 dollars, so that would be the only rational explanation. It doesn't happen with all the trades, it happens randomly and cannot say it happens rarely.
Attachments
position history2.png
(67.12 KiB) Downloaded 1483 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Apr 2013

Hello Zoli,

We have analyzed this situation. It happens due to the asynchronous way market position change and order fill status are sent be most brokers. On fast trading markets this behavior can appear more often, on slow trading markets it may not appear at all. Unfortunately there is no technical possibility to improve this behavior at the moment.

scarecrow

Postby scarecrow » 21 Jan 2014

Bringing this back from the dead...
has there been any work around?
I Use limit orders on a scalp strategy on rithmic local sim and have to manually go through the Order and Position Trackers Orders tab to see my filled prices to accurately get results. It seems position history is worthless for accurate results, which also affects account balance.

would it be possible to have position history calculated from orders filled prices?
or at least allow us to edit open p/l to match what we were filled at?
or allow us to edit MC sim trading accounts to match TPR?
It is a pain to evaluate a fast market scalper.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 Jan 2014

Bringing this back from the dead...
has there been any work around?
I Use limit orders on a scalp strategy on rithmic local sim and have to manually go through the Order and Position Trackers Orders tab to see my filled prices to accurately get results. It seems position history is worthless for accurate results, which also affects account balance.

would it be possible to have position history calculated from orders filled prices?
or at least allow us to edit open p/l to match what we were filled at?
or allow us to edit MC sim trading accounts to match TPR?
It is a pain to evaluate a fast market scalper.
Hello scarecrow,

This situation is explained in our Wiki section for Order and Position Tracker Positions History Tab:
Note:We display all updates coming to MultiCharts from your broker. Unfortunately the updates of avg entry price and current market position come asynchronously from your broker. MultiCharts doesn’t filter them, otherwise it can lose some information. Symbol Mapping can also affect number of the duplicated lines (depends on the number of lines with the same instrument in Symbol Mapping window) in Position History tab.
It means “Open P/L” and Average Price @ Positions History tab shows the Open PnL and Average Price value for the symbol captured at the moment when position update has been received from the broker while your broker profile was connected. It does not show the closed P/L for the trade.

Please use the Trading Performance report to review the trading results.
The range of orders included in the Trading Performance Report depends on the chart data range. Once you have a chart plotted with the desired data range, open the chart trading panel, connect the broker profile and select the account you have used to place the orders, then go to View tab->Show Trading Performance Report.

If you want to see the historical orders stored in Order and position tracker Orders tab on a chart – please go to Format chart trading->make sure "Show historical orders is enabled".

For more information about the orders that can be seen in the report please refer to the following article:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45424&p=99062#p99062

trdrbl

Postby trdrbl » 08 Jul 2014

I am using the .NET version, v 8.8, Build 9191. I've made a sample trade with 20 CL contracts. I've made the buy price equal the sell price, to see how commissions are reflected in the report. My final Open p/L for the trade showed $-39.44 while my broker (IB) charges $46.40 and displays $-92.80 for the two-way trade which is the correct number. Do I need to set up the correct commission in MultiCharts in order it to work correctly?

Also, my entry and exit price is $103.44, it was a limit order and it was filled for this price,but the Average Price column shows $103.43768 - what exactly does this number mean?

Hello Zoli,

TPR shows the value with commission included, while Position History shows the PnL value received from broker at the moment position has changed. Commission can be not included in this value.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Jul 2014

I am using the .NET version, v 8.8, Build 9191. I've made a sample trade with 20 CL contracts. I've made the buy price equal the sell price, to see how commissions are reflected in the report. My final Open p/L for the trade showed $-39.44 while my broker (IB) charges $46.40 and displays $-92.80 for the two-way trade which is the correct number. Do I need to set up the correct commission in MultiCharts in order it to work correctly?
That is correct. Here is how to do that.
Also, my entry and exit price is $103.44, it was a limit order and it was filled for this price,but the Average Price column shows $103.43768 - what exactly does this number mean?
Average Price - average price of executed entry orders that have created this position. Depending from the OPT tab you are currently looking at - it can be a current realtime value or a snaphot value at the moment an order was filled.

trdrbl

Postby trdrbl » 08 Jul 2014

That is correct. Here is ...
Average Price - average price of executed entry orders that have created this position. Depending from the OPT tab you are currently looking at - it can be a current realtime value or a snaphot value at the moment an order was filled.
Hi Henry,

It does not add up with the information my broker (IB) provides and the remaining balance in my account. My understanding, the article on commissions is for auto-trading.

In my case:

* I entered orders manually via DOM.
* Both, entry and exit orders were Limit orders and my broker says it was filled with the price I requested.

Here are screenshots from the both apps. I blacked out my account info columns, so please ignore this. The numbers though are correct.
Attachments
MC_SS (1).png
(61.62 KiB) Downloaded 1361 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 09 Jul 2014

trdrbl, Positions History tab does not show the closed P/L for the trade. Please see my post #6 in this thread for more details on how to see the required report.

trdrbl

Postby trdrbl » 09 Jul 2014

trdrbl, Strategy Positions tab does not show the closed P/L for the trade. Please see my post #6 in this thread for more details on how to see the required report.
My strategy Positions is empty since I traded manually. Positions History though is not and contains wrong commissions. By "wrong" I mean there is no single point in time where these numbers are correct, neither partial not after all transactions. One way charge is $2.32 and two way is $4.64.

When I go to "Manual Trading Performance Report" like you specified, in the "Settings" I see that commission is set to "No Commission" and there is no way to edit it. When I click on the tool bar "Settings" icon, there is no ability to specify commission in the Financial Tab like the documentation says. And it does not pull data from IB for commissions.

Does MultiCharts support commissions in reports for manual trading? What I mean is when I trade I need to know my real PL including commissions. Is there any report that contains it?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Jul 2014

trdrbl, sorry for the typo, I was referring to Positions History tab.

Positions History tab does not show the closed P/L for the trade. It shows a snapshot of the P/L value for an open position at the moment there was a position update, this information cannot be treated as closed P/L. This tab does not have information about any commissions. The commissions applied by your broker are applied to your account on the broker's end and cannot be received/reflected automatically in MultiCharts.

MultiCharts support commission in the manual trading report, the commissions need to be configured manually. If you want to see the report for the orders you have placed manually and that are available in MultiCharts in Order and position tracker window -> Orders tab please do the following:
1) Plot a chart for the instrument you need to see the report for.
2) The range of orders included in the Trading Performance Report depends on the chart data range. Configure the data range in Format->Instrument->Settings tab.
3) Open the chart trading panel, select and connect your broker profile on it, select the account you have used to place the orders.
4) go to Format->Strategy properties->Properties tab->Commission rule. Configure the Commission Rules the way you need it. These settings are applied not only to auto trading or backtesting, but to manually placed orders as well.
5) Go to View tab->Show Trading Performance Report.

trdrbl

Postby trdrbl » 10 Jul 2014

Thanks Henry. Now everything is clear about the commissions. To complete the test, I've made another trade and profited 3 ticks on CL, which for 20 contracts is $600 minus commissions. I rolled back to "No Commissions" and pulled the Manual Trading Performance Report/List of Trades. It shows the profit of just $0.6. Do I need to specify anywhere the multiplier factor?

trdrbl

Postby trdrbl » 10 Jul 2014

I think I answered my question. In the QuoteManager window, in the symbol settings, there is Big Point Value setting. For full-size futures it is 1000. I suspect IQFeed does not provide this information as I could not set "Use Symbol Dictionary Setting", while IB and eSignal feeds where set correctly by default.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”