TWS Max number of tickers

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
marcusjhdon

TWS Max number of tickers

Postby marcusjhdon » 21 Jul 2014

Hi

I've just started using Multicharts.Net for TWS and have created a watchlist containing all symbols from the NYSE. However, every time I start Multicharts I get a screen full of alerts saying "Max number of tickers has been reached", even though I have the "simultaneous loading of historical data" option turned off (and have restarted since making that change). Please can you tell me the reason for this error and what I can do to fix it?

Also, initially I wasn't able to get the data feed working, but saw a post about downgrading the version of Java, which I did and it fixed the problem. Do you know when the software will be updated to support the new version, since the update contained some important security fixes?

Thanks

Marcus

Henry MultiСharts

Re: TWS Max number of tickers

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 22 Jul 2014

Hello Marcus,

Instruments in the Watchlist are constantly connected to realtime data. There is an IB limitation for the amount of realtime data connections you can have simultaneously. To know the allowed amount for your account please press "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "=" in the TWS window.

The option "simultaneous loading of historical data" has nothing to do with this situation.
If you want to release the tickers of closed charts/scanner symbols - you need to disable the option “Utilization of cache for real-time price data” in Quote Manager->Tools->Data sources->IB-> Settings. To make this setting come into effect you need to restart MultiCharts and all of its applications.

marcusjhdon

Postby marcusjhdon » 22 Jul 2014

Hi

Thanks for the fast reply.

I've checked the limit in TWS as you advised, and it is set to 100. So, how can I monitor more than 100 stocks in Multicharts? I don't need them to all be updated in realtime, I just need a list I can click through (or scan) when looking for trading opportunities. If they don't update until I open a chart, that would be okay, though I would prefer (and expect) them to stay up-to-date as far as possible within the limits of the data feed. Please advise.

Thanks

Marcus

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 22 Jul 2014

Marcus, please use the Pre-Scanning window for that.

marcusjhdon

Postby marcusjhdon » 22 Jul 2014

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I'm now getting a screen full of "pacing violation" messages, but I see from another post you're going to add an option to disable these, which will be very welcome!

Regards

Marcus

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”