MC on OS X

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
datamonkey

MC on OS X

Postby datamonkey » 11 Aug 2014

Just wondering if there will ever be a release of MC for OS X seeing as Apple PC's are becoming more popular over Windows machines?

I realise the overall PC market is shrinking due to tablets, however as traders I'm sure we will ensure there will be a market for desktops/laptops at least for the foreseeable future.

I'm looking at buying a Mac so would much prefer if there was a native version of MC to run on it rather than having to use Bootcamp or a virtual machine like Parallels with Windows...
Last edited by datamonkey on 12 Aug 2014, edited 1 time in total.

MAtricks

Re: MC on OS X

Postby MAtricks » 11 Aug 2014

I'd love this :)

The only reason I own a PC is because MC and most other trading software isn't OS X friendly.

datamonkey

Postby datamonkey » 12 Aug 2014

I'd love this :)

The only reason I own a PC is because MC and most other trading software isn't OS X friendly.
Yeah that's what has prevented me for so long too but now my Windows PC is on its last legs I'm going to take the plunge for a high spec iMac.

Ironically I heard that Macs run Windows better than most Windows PC's so MC should be fine loaded up in Bootcamp/Parallels...

Even so I'd still prefer an OSX version of MC please admin! ;)

furytrader

Postby furytrader » 13 Aug 2014

Unfortunately, the number of traders on Macintosh computers is probably less than 2% of the total market (the number of total Macintosh computers out there is less than 5% of the total desktop market).

See http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating ... pcustomd=0

datamonkey

Postby datamonkey » 13 Aug 2014

Unfortunately, the number of traders on Macintosh computers is probably less than 2% of the total market (the number of total Macintosh computers out there is less than 5% of the total desktop market).

See http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating ... pcustomd=0
Guess that answers my question then! lol

Thanks for the info. My new Mac is being delivered next week so looks like I'll be installing Windows through Parallels after all!

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 13 Aug 2014

and I think this is the reason... The quality is incomparable, but usability in this field of work is hardly there. I think that an automated trading platform which ventures into Mac OS will create a nice cash cow for themselves.

Minivan vs Porsche. They have their uses..

I've thought about going back to Macs. I miss the ease of use, quality, and dependability. However, as we need Windows for what we do for a living, which way to go about it? Bootcamp? Parallels? Wineskin? VMware Fusion? Virtualbox? Crossover? or maybe just a remote desktop which runs windows? Seems like something better has got to be out there soon enough.

mobelby

Postby mobelby » 13 Aug 2014

I've been using MC 8 and 9 on Parallels 8 and now 9 and it is stable.
However, I do not appreciate Parallels' yearly upgrade fees, which are nearly as much as buying the product outright.

It's essential to be able to rely on your windows system if you're using a mac so they have us between a rock and a hard place

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 13 Aug 2014

Yes, Parallels upgrades look unkind to users.

How does your machine perform while doing optimizations or other compute-intensive tasks in MC? I would think that the Mac would have a difficult time keeping up as it has to simultaneously share its resources with two operating systems.

mobelby

Postby mobelby » 13 Aug 2014

I'm not on my main mac as I am overseas at the moment.

My travelling one is a laptop (macbook pro retina) and there are certainly tasks that cause it to spin its fans to max including certain MC activities.
It makes me optimise all code I build so that it does not tax the system unduly.

However, my main system is a top of the range imac 27 and that has no problems at all running CPU intensive tasks in windows

datamonkey

Postby datamonkey » 19 Aug 2014

Yes, Parallels upgrades look unkind to users.

How does your machine perform while doing optimizations or other compute-intensive tasks in MC? I would think that the Mac would have a difficult time keeping up as it has to simultaneously share its resources with two operating systems.
My iMac has been delivered and it's all setup with Parallels/Windows 7 and has MC installed.

I have to say I am very impressed with Parallels. Not only can you switch on the fly between Windows/OS X by simply pressing F6 but you can run in coherence mode also which effectively merges Windows with OSX so you have all programs running together from one desktop. Very impressive.

I have had zero issues with performance so far. Everything I throw at the Mac it copes with nicely though I did opt for the highest spec graphics card and processor - i7 (at 3.5Ghz), 4Gb 780 GTX graphics card, 1Tb fusion drive (hybrid with 128Gb SSD) and 8Gb RAM. The RAM I might upgrade myself as it's much cheaper than paying Apple to do it though so far not sure I will need it. It can be increased up to 32Gb though.

I have allocated 4Gb RAM to OSX and 4Gb to Windows. This balance seems to have no negative effect on performance on either OS. When I'm running MC I don't have any other resource intensive programs running but do have things like browsers (with multiple tabs open), spreadsheets, iTunes etc running in OSX at the same time as MC in the Windows window. All work with no performance issues.

The best part for me so far is the improved resolution. The 27" has a resolution of 2560x1440 and the sheer amount I can fit on the screen is awesome compared to my old PC.

Installation of Parallels was incredibly easy and that then took me through the Windows installation which was even easier. The whole process was so simple.

The Mac loads up in 10 seconds and Windows loads in about 5 seconds! Incredible. Those that said Macs run Windows better than Windows PC's I think were right :)

After spending ages toying with the idea of buying a Mac I now wish I'd done it years ago! The best of both worlds with no drawback - other than paying the annual Parallels "upgrade" fee - a small price to pay in my opinion for this privilege! Of course you don't have to pay it if you're happy using the older version...

The only other negative I could think of was that I don't like Apple's magic mouse so I'm using my old USB mouse from my PC that has tactile buttons/scroller...

Obviously I've not had time to trade on it yet and there may be unforeseen issues that I've not thought of but to be honest the Mac is so stable I can't see that happening. I'll update here with any issues I may come across but for now I'm a happy trader!

mobelby

Postby mobelby » 19 Aug 2014

Welcome to the world of Macs !

I highly recommend the magic trackpad over any mouse.

I mark up all my charts and it's quicker and more accurate than the trackball I use on my windows machine

datamonkey

Postby datamonkey » 19 Aug 2014

Welcome to the world of Macs !

I highly recommend the magic trackpad over any mouse.

I mark up all my charts and it's quicker and more accurate than the trackball I use on my windows machine
Yeah I might look into that as that way I'd be able to use all the multi-gestures that the OS has.

I use keyboard shortcuts quite a lot so anything else that might help me navigate that little bit quicker would be welcome... Thanks :)

mobelby

Postby mobelby » 20 Aug 2014

And right on cue....

Parallels announces another upgrade with the same spin and same price as last year:

- 50% faster
- upgrade $49.99

http://www.parallels.com/au/upgradepd10 ... pd10launch

I wonder what statistical proof they have for 50% faster.

I will be waiting until they have a Black Friday special

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 21 Aug 2014

I'm curious if MC would consider an alternative MC for Macs..

datamonkey

Postby datamonkey » 21 Aug 2014

I'm curious if MC would consider an alternative MC for Macs..
Yeah it's a shame admin haven't replied here but I'd consider that a sign the answer would be negative.

Having said that I am now more than happy with my setup running Windows MC on my iMac. It's a beautiful partnership! :)
Last edited by datamonkey on 21 Aug 2014, edited 2 times in total.

datamonkey

And right on cue....

Parallels announces another upgrade with the same spin and same price as last year:

- 50% faster
- upgrade $49.99

http://www.parallels.com/au/upgradepd10 ... pd10launch

I wonder what statistical proof they have for 50% faster.

I will be waiting until they have a Black Friday special
I have to say, I agree. Their upgrade fee is a bit steep.

To make the Parallels upgrade easier to stomach, I think I'll consider the free Yosemite upgrade from Apple offsetting the Parallels fee! lol ;)

MAtricks

If I was able to justify a desktop setup (imac or mac pro) I'd definitely go this route. But I've been too spoiled with being mobile..

My Lenovo W series (best mobile windows based computer for this line of work imo) goes with me everywhere. I have a massive monitor setup and a docking station at home and at the office. I pop it in, and all my monitors kick on and I can beat the thing up with any test you can think of. I'm afraid that my mac book pro couldn't handle what I do... nor could it handle all my screens.

I guess there isn't a product with ALL the fun features :)

datamonkey

If I was able to justify a desktop setup (imac or mac pro) I'd definitely go this route. But I've been too spoiled with being mobile..

My Lenovo W series (best mobile windows based computer for this line of work imo) goes with me everywhere. I have a massive monitor setup and a docking station at home and at the office. I pop it in, and all my monitors kick on and I can beat the thing up with any test you can think of. I'm afraid that my mac book pro couldn't handle what I do... nor could it handle all my screens.

I guess there isn't a product with ALL the fun features :)
Yeah sure, we all have different needs. It sounds like your Lenovo is a beast! :)

I only run two charts so have no need for a multi-screen setup - though I now appreciate the bigger screen which I didn't really think I needed!

MAtricks

:) I'd suggest trying out at least 2 monitors. 2 greatly improves work efficiency. I think 3 is perfect. 4+ is unnecessary. I used to run more, but have since decided that 3 24" monitors is a perfect setup for developing+monitoring systems+emails/browsing/etc

Return to “MultiCharts”