Scanner help

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tozwp

Scanner help

Postby tozwp » 17 Sep 2014

Never used the scanner before and was hoping someone could give me a push in the right direction to figure out how to use this with an indicator I use on charts. The indicator I use plots a dot (or histogram) on a chart when some conditions are met using the 'plot' nested within an if - then statement.

I'd like to build a list of symbols and by simply looking at the list in the scanner, determine what symbols have those conditions met. Not sure how to do this. Is it possible to color a quote or change the color of the box around the quote or print a value in a quote box when the conditions are true? What program code/statements should I be looking at to get started? I think once I get rolling, it will all make sense. Thanks

tozwp

Re: Scanner help

Figured out that I needed to create a pre-scan list in the scanner. Then I added the indicator to the last column. Problem now is that the indicator column shows the last result when the scan criteria was true which may have been days ago. Not sure how to have the indicator only look at the previous bar and show only those results in the scanner. I'm sure its simple but trying to go from thinking in terms of a plotted indicator to scanning is making my brain freeze up.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Sep 2014

Hello tozwp,

A conditional plot that is already drawn will remain even if the conditions become no longer true.
NoPlot can be used to remove the conditional plot from the current bar if the conditions are no longer true: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... php/NoPlot
For example:

Code: Select all

condition1=close>100;
if condition1 then plot1(1,"",yellow) else NoPlot(1);

tozwp

Thanks Henry, I had forgotten about NoPlot.

When using the same indicator in the scanner, would I then check the box 'and use contraint' and use = true or 1 to check for the condition? There is no value associated with the indicator, it just plots when the conditions are true.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Sep 2014

It depends on whether you need to filter instruments into realtime part of scanner (watchlist) or not and the values that are plotted by your indicator. You can find more information in the related article:
Pre-Scanning_and_Watchlist.

SP

Postby SP » 17 Sep 2014

Henry,

is there a way to make the scanner text thicker? I only find the option to change the "Text Size", but no solution to make it bold.

tozwp

Guess I'm still somewhat confused. All I'm really trying to do is to scan daily bars. Sometime during today's bar I'm looking for a set of conditions that was true at the end of yesterday's bar. I've got 45 - 50 forex symbols using IB as the data source. Initially I tried adding all the symbols to the prescanner and then ran into the pacing violation issue.

As an example, how would I scan daily data for a hammer candlestick that occurred yesterday? I think I would add the indicator C_Hammer_HangingMan to the scanner but from there, I don't know how to make it show me only the symbols that ended yesterday in a hammer formation. I haven't been able to find much information regarding how to use the scanner.

Unrelated question - how does one remove an indicator from the pre-scan window? I've right clicked everywhere but have been unable to remove indicators after they have been added.

tozwp

Just figured out how to remove. Have to right click in the indicator column only. Then there is an option to remove it.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 23 Sep 2014

is there a way to make the scanner text thicker? I only find the option to change the "Text Size", but no solution to make it bold.
Hello SP,

Unfortunately there is no setting in MultiCharts that would make it bold.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 26 Sep 2014

Guess I'm still somewhat confused. All I'm really trying to do is to scan daily bars. Sometime during today's bar I'm looking for a set of conditions that was true at the end of yesterday's bar. I've got 45 - 50 forex symbols using IB as the data source. Initially I tried adding all the symbols to the prescanner and then ran into the pacing violation issue.

As an example, how would I scan daily data for a hammer candlestick that occurred yesterday? I think I would add the indicator C_Hammer_HangingMan to the scanner but from there, I don't know how to make it show me only the symbols that ended yesterday in a hammer formation. I haven't been able to find much information regarding how to use the scanner.
tozwp, you need to modify the study code to make it plot either digits that will help distinguishing whether condition is met or not or string values. For example this way:

Code: Select all

inputs: Length( 14 ), Factor( 2 ) ;
variables: var0( 0 ), var1( 0 ) ;

Value1 = C_Hammer_HangingMan( Length, Factor, var0, var1 ) ;

if var0 = 1 then
begin
Plot1( "Hammer" ) ;
Alert( "Hammer" ) ;
end else plot1("NO");
if var1 = 1 then
begin
Plot2( "HangMan" ) ;